Re: [sparetimegizmos] building OS/8

  • woodelf
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 5, 2006

      > Hyperterm (which is included with Windows XP) can also be used; the Elf
      > 2000 manual has some instructions for setting up Hyperterm to download hex
      > files to an Elf, and the SBC6120 setup would be similar.
      Well I got hyperterm set up, but I can't build OS/8 for the simple
      reason FLX8 dies on me with XP.
      "
      C:\woodelf\pdp8>flx8 /?
      FLX8>mount work.rx1
      %FLX8-I, mounted virtual disk on file work.rx1
      FLX8>dir sys:
      Directory of work.rx1
      Assertion failed: pCX->awData[3] > 01400+4+pCX->nAIW, file d:\pdp8\flx8\os8.c,
      line 519
      abnormal program termination
      C:\woodelf\pdp8>
      "
      Does anybody have a copy of FLX8 that works for XP?
    • Dennis Boone
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 5, 2006
        > C:\woodelf\pdp8>flx8 /?
        > FLX8>mount work.rx1
        > %FLX8-I, mounted virtual disk on file work.rx1
        > FLX8>dir sys:
        > Directory of work.rx1
        > Assertion failed: pCX->awData[3] > 01400+4+pCX->nAIW, file d:\pdp8\flx8\os8.c,
        > line 519
        > abnormal program termination
        > C:\woodelf\pdp8>

        Try mounting /virtual/rx50 ? Or appropriate device type, if it's
        not rx50.

        De
      • woodelf
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 5, 2006
          Dennis Boone wrote:

          > > C:\woodelf\pdp8>flx8 /?
          > > FLX8>mount work.rx1
          > > %FLX8-I, mounted virtual disk on file work.rx1
          > > FLX8>dir sys:
          > > Directory of work.rx1
          > > Assertion failed: pCX->awData[3] > 01400+4+pCX->nAIW, file
          > d:\pdp8\flx8\os8.c,
          > > line 519
          > > abnormal program termination
          > > C:\woodelf\pdp8>
          >
          > Try mounting /virtual/rx50 ? Or appropriate device type, if it's
          > not rx50.

          It seems to work now. I had CAPS LOCK off ! :(
          Now I need to know what devices one has. more downloading from bitsavers
        • woodelf
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 5, 2006
            Dennis Boone wrote:

            > Try mounting /virtual/rx50 ? Or appropriate device type, if it's
            > not rx50.
            Now that I have it built I need a %#@! serial program that works
            to download my image.
            Hyper-crap does *NOT*.
            Kermit does *NOT*
          • Andrew Wasson
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 5, 2006
              Hey Dennis,
              Have you tried Terra Term Pro? I've been using it for a number of wierd
              micro projects and it seems to work well for me. I've got it talking to my
              ELF2K right now and have kept that conversation going for a month or so.

              Link: http://www.ayera.com/teraterm/

              Andrew

              _____

              > Try mounting /virtual/rx50 ? Or appropriate device type, if it's
              > not rx50.
              Now that I have it built I need a %#@! serial program that works
              to download my image.
              Hyper-crap does *NOT*.
              Kermit does *NOT*

            • Robert Armstrong
              Message 6 of 25 , Dec 5, 2006
                >Hyper-crap does *NOT*.
                >Kermit does *NOT*

                I've used both with success, and the Kermit settings I use are even in the
                manual.

                If you haven't already, you might want to mount the disk image on WinEight
                and make sure it works before you go to the trouble of downloading it.

                And I assume you know that a pre-build IDE OS/8 image is already available
                for the SBC6120. You only need to build your own if you really enjoy that
                sort of thing.

                Bob
              • Dennis Boone
                Message 7 of 25 , Dec 5, 2006
                  > Now that I have it built I need a %#@! serial program that works
                  > to download my image.
                  > Hyper-crap does *NOT*.
                  > Kermit does *NOT*

                  I had the same problem. I figure I could have made Telix work, using
                  character-by-character pacing, but the transfer time would have been
                  many hours and I was impatient.

                  I ended up taking the storage device to a Linux machine and using
                  dd with assorted options to write the blocks into the right place.
                  This was easier because the device is a CF card, but would work with
                  spinning disk too.

                  De
                • woodelf
                  Message 8 of 25 , Dec 5, 2006
                    Robert Armstrong wrote:
                    > >Hyper-crap does *NOT*.
                    > >Kermit does *NOT*
                    >
                    > I've used both with success, and the Kermit settings I use are even in the
                    > manual.

                    Well I found that kermit setting I missed from the manual shortly
                    after I posted. Stupid modern machines --- 1 serial port and I use
                    a dial up modem for the net and I was kind of offline downloading.
                    I seem to have disk problem with the drive I am using for some
                    reason but first I have just find what setting the TTY port is set for
                    use with a old terminal I have here.

                    > If you haven't already, you might want to mount the disk image on WinEight
                    > and make sure it works before you go to the trouble of downloading it.

                    > And I assume you know that a pre-build IDE OS/8 image is already available
                    > for the SBC6120. You only need to build your own if you really enjoy that
                    > sort of thing.

                    I got the pre-built ADVENT image but not the OS/8 image.
                    It is windows that is a pain in the butt. WOW OS/8 has installable
                    device drivers ... lets see it took DOS 3.1 for that. SIGH.

                    > Bob

                  • Dave McGuire
                    Message 9 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
                      On Dec 5, 2006, at 9:59 PM, woodelf wrote:
                      >> Try mounting /virtual/rx50 ? Or appropriate device type, if it's
                      >> not rx50.
                      > Now that I have it built I need a %#@! serial program that works
                      > to download my image.
                      > Hyper-crap does *NOT*.

                      I can't believe anyone actually still tries to use that for anything.

                      > Kermit does *NOT*

                      Kermit worked fine for me.

                      -Dave

                      --
                      Dave McGuire
                      Cape Coral, FL
                      Message 10 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
                        Dave McGuire wrote:

                        > > Kermit does *NOT*
                        > Kermit worked fine for me.

                        Well I downloaded Kermit95 --- that was part of my
                        problem.The other problem it is try then BUY!
                        It seems as soon as M$ makes a upgrade -- then everybody
                        charges for products that don't work.

                        Well how about a OS/8 question then?
                        How do I get OS/8 to echo clean 7 bit ASCII and don't echo
                        NULLS?
                      • Dave McGuire
                        Message 11 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
                          On Dec 6, 2006, at 1:08 PM, woodelf wrote:
                          >>> Kermit does *NOT*
                          >> Kermit worked fine for me.
                          >
                          > Well I downloaded Kermit95 --- that was part of my
                          > problem.The other problem it is try then BUY!
                          > It seems as soon as M$ makes a upgrade -- then everybody
                          > charges for products that don't work.

                          Welcome to the wonderful world of Windows. The real computing
                          world doesn't work that way.

                          > Well how about a OS/8 question then?
                          > How do I get OS/8 to echo clean 7 bit ASCII and don't echo
                          > NULLS?

                          I honestly don't know if that is possible. :-|

                          -Dave

                          --
                          Dave McGuire
                          Cape Coral, FL
                          Message 12 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
                            >How do I get OS/8 to echo clean 7 bit ASCII and don't echo NULLS?

                            I don't think you can. Think ASR33 - OS/8 is...

                            Bob
                          • woodelf
                            Message 13 of 25 , Dec 6, 2006
                              Robert Armstrong wrote:

                              > >How do I get OS/8 to echo clean 7 bit ASCII and don't echo NULLS?
                              >
                              > I don't think you can. Think ASR33 - OS/8 is...
                              >
                              > Bob
                              Hmm I found the source for OS/8 ... A little hacking .... :)
                              Well the comments read nice ... It still surprizes me what the
                              PDP/8 had for its size and some of the stranger comments like.
                              "JMP I (NEWLIN /GOLLY, AND ALL THIS CODE WASTED"
                              Is there a pre-built ide version of OS/8 around?
                              I found one minor bug with WinEight and XP. The command line
                              does not ECHO after ^C from ODT.
                            • Tim McNerney
                              Message 14 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                                The comment reminds me of the PDP-8 software team's
                                ethic of squeezing every last word out of a page of code.
                                To this day, I still remember the octal code for the CLA
                                instruction because we used it any time we needed to
                                JMS I to the OS/8 system device.

                                Where did you find the OS/8 sources?
                                I found a stale reference to an FTP site at indiana.edu
                                but that's about it.

                                It is still possible to find binaries for Fortran II?

                                Anyone remember the names of the main people who
                                worked on OS/8. The only name I remember is Richie Lary.

                                --Tim

                                woodelf wrote:

                                >Robert Armstrong wrote:
                                >

                                >> >How do I get OS/8 to echo clean 7 bit ASCII and don't echo NULLS?
                                >>
                                >>I don't think you can. Think ASR33 - OS/8 is...
                                >>
                                >>Bob
                                >>

                                >Hmm I found the source for OS/8 ... A little hacking .... :)
                                >Well the comments read nice ... It still surprizes me what the
                                >PDP/8 had for its size and some of the stranger comments like.
                                >"JMP I (NEWLIN /GOLLY, AND ALL THIS CODE WASTED"
                                >Is there a pre-built ide version of OS/8 around?
                                >I found one minor bug with WinEight and XP. The command line
                                >does not ECHO after ^C from ODT.
                                >

                                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • woodelf
                                Message 15 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                                  Tim McNerney wrote:

                                  > The comment reminds me of the PDP-8 software team's
                                  > ethic of squeezing every last word out of a page of code.
                                  > To this day, I still remember the octal code for the CLA
                                  > instruction because we used it any time we needed to
                                  > JMS I to the OS/8 system device.
                                  >
                                  > Where did you find the OS/8 sources?
                                  > I found a stale reference to an FTP site at indiana.edu
                                  > but that's about it.
                                  >
                                  > It is still possible to find binaries for Fortran II?
                                  >
                                  > Anyone remember the names of the main people who
                                  > worked on OS/8. The only name I remember is Richie Lary.
                                  >
                                  > --Tim
                                  Non commerical use only
                                  -- this link for binarys http://www.12bit.org/dec/software/os8/
                                  Dig around here for the source (dectape)!
                                  http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/academic/computer-science/history/
                                • Tim McNerney
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Dec 7, 2006
                                    I found the "dectapes" on ibiblio.org, thanks!
                                    Stanley Rabinowitz was the name I was looking for.

                                    --Tim

                                    woodelf wrote:

                                    >Tim McNerney wrote:
                                    >

                                    >>The comment reminds me of the PDP-8 software team's
                                    >>ethic of squeezing every last word out of a page of code.
                                    >>To this day, I still remember the octal code for the CLA
                                    >>instruction because we used it any time we needed to
                                    >>JMS I to the OS/8 system device.
                                    >>
                                    >>Where did you find the OS/8 sources?
                                    >>I found a stale reference to an FTP site at indiana.edu
                                    >>but that's about it.
                                    >>
                                    >>It is still possible to find binaries for Fortran II?
                                    >>
                                    >>Anyone remember the names of the main people who
                                    >>worked on OS/8. The only name I remember is Richie Lary.
                                    >>
                                    >>--Tim
                                    >>

                                    >Non commerical use only
                                    > -- this link for binarys http://www.12bit.org/dec/software/os8/
                                    >Dig around here for the source (dectape)!
                                    >http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/academic/computer-science/history/
                                    >

                                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • woodelf
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Jan 3, 2007
                                      David Griffith wrote:
                                      > Bob has emailed me to say that he has the FP6120 boards. The order for
                                      > the switches is plodding along (8-12 weeks they say). I took orders for
                                      > 12 boards, but the boardmaker made 15. This leaves us with three boards
                                      > yet to be claimed. Yes, I can get more switches for these three. Who's
                                      > interested?

                                      So how is the switch order plodding along?
                                      Also the SBC6120 does not like my terminal I plan to
                                      use, I was thinking of cutting the PCB and tieing the
                                      bit #8 of the UART to GND.
                                    • Doug Luurs
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Jan 3, 2007
                                        --- In sparetimegizmos@yahoogroups.com, woodelf <bfranchuk@...>
                                        wrote:

                                        > David Griffith wrote:
                                        > > Bob has emailed me to say that he has the FP6120 boards. The
                                        order for
                                        > > the switches is plodding along (8-12 weeks they say). I took
                                        orders for
                                        > > 12 boards, but the boardmaker made 15. This leaves us with
                                        three boards
                                        > > yet to be claimed. Yes, I can get more switches for these
                                        three. Who's
                                        > > interested?
                                        > >

                                        > So how is the switch order plodding along?
                                        > Also the SBC6120 does not like my terminal I plan to
                                        > use, I was thinking of cutting the PCB and tieing the
                                        > bit #8 of the UART to GND.

                                        If you have a Board availiable, I would be interested (and Switches)
                                        please. Reply off Group please. Thanks

                                        n8zuu at sbcglobal.net
                                      • Robert Armstrong
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Jan 3, 2007
                                          >Also the SBC6120 does not like my terminal I plan to
                                          >use, I was thinking of cutting the PCB and tieing the
                                          >bit #8 of the UART to GND.

                                          I think you mean "OS/8 doesn't like my terminal...", right? I doubt the
                                          SBC6120 has a problem with it.

                                          If you force bit 8 to zero you'll never be able to load or save BIN files.
                                          Don't know that's important...

                                          Bob
                                        • woodelf
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Jan 3, 2007
                                            Robert Armstrong wrote:

                                            > >Also the SBC6120 does not like my terminal I plan to
                                            > >use, I was thinking of cutting the PCB and tieing the
                                            > >bit #8 of the UART to GND.
                                            >
                                            > I think you mean "OS/8 doesn't like my terminal...", right? I doubt the
                                            > SBC6120 has a problem with it.

                                            Yep that is it.
                                            I guess *A PDP/8 terminal for 2007* is dreaming from SpareTimeGizmos. :)

                                            > If you force bit 8 to zero you'll never be able to load or save BIN files.
                                            > Don't know that's important...
                                            >
                                            > Bob

                                            Well I plan to fill up the HD from the PC so I don't expect to
                                            send BIN files. I don't expect to play much with the PDP/8 since
                                            I plan to do a 12/24 bit cpu ( 2901 bit slice ) design with a 1us
                                            memory cycle time. The design is in 1975-1977 time frame so that
                                            speed seems reasonable. Also note the HUDGE 000:0000 to 777:7777
                                            octal addressing range for a digital computer in that time frame.