RE: [sparetimegizmos] front panel switches and PCB last call verification

  • David Griffith
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 1, 2006
      On Fri, 1 Sep 2006, John Sicker wrote:

      > Hmm:
      >
      > I am also not listed. I wanted one set of switches plus two spare and a
      > FP6120 PCB board.

      Done! I take it you want one of each type of switch for the spares.

      --
      David Griffith
      dgriffi@...

      A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
      Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
      A: Top-posting.
    • Tim McNerney
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 1, 2006
        Hi David,

        Thanks again for pulling this all together.

        1) I found my name in your list. The switch order quantities are fine,
        but I expected a "1" in the "Qty PCB" column.

        2) What PCB house(s) have you gotten quotes from?

        Given the high PCB setup costs, we might be wise to
        a) shop around, and
        b) order a few extras for latecomers.

        Please forgive me if you know all this already, but...
        With small quantity PCB orders, it is frequently the case
        that the the setup cost (aka "lot charge," aka NRE) dominates the
        cost equation, and that you can buy many more PCBs for an
        incremental cost over the small number you were planning to order.
        For 8 hypothetical PCBs @ $75 = $600, of that $400 is NRE, and $12.50
        is the actual cost of each PCB.

        BTW, Advanced Circuits (4PCB.COM) is offering a $500 discount for
        new customers! (I have no affiliation with Advanced Circuits. I am
        just one of their customer of many years).

        Also it is sometimes cheaper to choose a long lead time "production"
        process (e.g. 2-4 week lead time) over a "quick turn" (2-4 day)
        prototype
        process. The PCB manufacturers fleece "prototype customers" like me
        because they know we are usually in a big hurry and willing to pay.

        --Tim

        On Aug 31, 2006, at 3:16 AM, David Griffith wrote:

        > I think I have everyone down for their switches, but there are some
        > who I
        > might have missed for the front panel PCBs. Please find your name in
        > the
        > attached PDF file and tell me if I have anything wrong. The file is
        > also
        > at http://www.cs.csubak.edu/~dgriffi/(add filename here to thwart
        > spam harvesting).
        >
        > Prices:
        >
        > One set of switches (13 snap, 7 momentary): $147 ea
        > One snap-action switch: $7 ea
        > One momentary switch: $8 ea
        > Front panel PCB: $75 ea
        >
        > The PCB price is a lot more than what he used to sell it for because
        > this
        > batch is a lot smaller. The switch prices presume we'll have the
        > square-tipped actuators. If I can get the order switched to J90
        > actuators
        > (round-tipped), I'll do it. I got a leadtime quote of 12-14 weeks
        > (eek).
        >
        > These prices include shipping to the continental US. For Californians,
        > sales tax of 8.25% is required. Outside the US, I'll need to check how
        > much it costs to send an ensured parcel to you.
        >

        > --
        > David Griffith
        > dgriffi@...
        >
        > A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
        > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
        > A: Top-posting.

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • John Sicker
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 1, 2006
          David:

          Thanks yes that what I wanted and my order is correct as you have listed
          it.

          Cheers

          John ..

          _____

          > I am also not listed. I wanted one set of switches plus two spare and a
          > FP6120 PCB board.

          Done! I take it you want one of each type of switch for the spares.

          --
          David Griffith
          dgriffi@.... <mailto:dgriffi%40cs.csubak.edu> edu

        • Alan Frisbie
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 1, 2006
            David Griffith wrote:
            > On Thu, 31 Aug 2006, Alan Frisbie wrote:

            >>I can open the file, which looks like a two-page spreadsheet.
            >>But everywhere it looks like there should be some text, it
            >>just has a small rectangular box inside the cell. Even the
            >>page numbers at the top & bottom of the page are just small
            >>rectangular boxes (the size of card chad).

            > What OS and PDF app are you using?

            Windows 98 and Adobe Acrobat 4 (Full, not reader). I also
            saved the file and tried opening it with Acrobat Reader 6,
            but got the same results.

            I also copied it to a Linux (Red Hat 8 or 9?) box, where
            xpdf printed the text, but all the numbers were the same
            little rectangular boxes (like card chad).

            I will try later today with a Windows XP system and Adobe
            Acrobat 7.

            Alan Frisbie
          • woodelf
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 1, 2006
              David Griffith wrote:

              > Prices:
              >
              > One set of switches (13 snap, 7 momentary): $147 ea
              > One snap-action switch: $7 ea
              > One momentary switch: $8 ea
              > Front panel PCB: $75 ea

              > These prices include shipping to the continental US. For Californians,
              > sales tax of 8.25% is required. Outside the US, I'll need to check how
              > much it costs to send an ensured parcel to you.

              Well I want added to my order 4 snaps and 2 momentary.
              I'll have a money order sent to you through the good
              old post office here in Canada.
            • Alan Frisbie
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 1, 2006
                I finally managed to produce a viewable/printable copy
                of the file. I downloaded and saved the pdf file directly,
                rather than opening it in Firefox/Acrobat. Then I opened it
                in Acrobat 6 from disk and it displayed (and printed) sorta-OK.

                It still has a problem of the first two columns being too
                narrow, with the right side of the text getting clipped off,
                but it is still readable.

                There is one error with my (Alan Frisbie) entry: I would
                also like one PCB.

                I am not in any hurry, so if slower would save money for
                people, I'm in favor of it.

                Thanks for all your work!

                Alan Frisbie
              • woodelf
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 1, 2006
                  woodelf wrote:

                  > Well I want added to my order 4 snaps and 2 momentary.
                  > I'll have a money order sent to you through the good
                  > old post office here in Canada.

                  Thinking again -- my last change for this switch order.
                  2 sets total
                  8 snap switches total
                  2 mom switches total
                  1 pcb total
                • Al Gonzo
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 1, 2006
                    >From: David Griffith <dgriffi@...>
                    >I think I have everyone down for their switches, but there are some who I
                    >might have missed for the front panel PCBs. Please find your name in the
                    >attached PDF file and tell me if I have anything wrong.

                    My order appears to be correct.

                    Thanks!

                    Vince (Al's an alias)