Updated and annotated parts list for SBC6120/FP6120 available

  • Stephen L
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4 6:20 PM
      I have just published an updated and annotated parts list for the
      SBC6120/FP6120 kits. This should be helpful to builders who have the
      partial kits and wish to order the parts to complete them. You can get
      it (along with a short article) here:
      http://tronola.com/html/building_the_sbc6120-fp6120.html
      <http://tronola.com/html/building_the_sbc6120-fp6120.html>

      Improvements in the new parts list include:

      * Merging the SBC and FP parts lists, where they overlap. Individual
      reference designators were maintained.
      * Graying-out parts provided in the partial kits or which aren't
      used.
      * Putting the parts list into a spreadsheet, so that it can be easily
      sorted and edited.
      * Beginning descriptions with a noun, allowing sorting by component
      type.
      * Updating and filling-in most part numbers and stock numbers.
      * Reducing the number of vendors by one.
      * Finding substitutes for obsolete parts.
      * Adding parts to cover the compact flash subsystem, power and
      hardware.
      * Checking the parts against the schematic and resolving differences.
      * Making some minor improvements: Added sockets for small DIPs.
      Improved bypassing around the switching regulator. Added hardware.
      Increased LED current from 5mA to 8mA, within chip specs.
      * Working out details related to being compatible with a case.
      * Adding notes documenting changes and making clarifications.
      Comments and corrections are welcome!

      Steve Lafferty

    • Steve Gemeny
      Message 2 of 3 , May 6 6:36 AM
        Steve,

        Nice job. I'm sure the information will be quite helpful to those
        undertaking construction.

        I do wonder: Was there considered logic that led you to "self-publish"
        rather than to include the information on the Wiki?

        I ask because Bob seems always to encourage everyone to use the Wiki as a
        centralized information repository for easy access in a single place.

        http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/wdoc/index.php?title=Main_Page

        I've been asked to include a page including the "test as you build it"
        method I used when I recently assembled my 6120-RC. I've now got myself
        setup as a registered user and am about to consolidate my notes into Wiki
        proper format. The thought was that a careful, section by section checkout
        might save time for those bringing up a system by enabling early
        identification of issues, or for those trying to isolate a fault in a system
        that had failed.

        If there is a logical reason to do otherwise - It'd be nice to find it
        before, rather than after I finish out the page.

        Thanks,

        Steve

        Message 3 of 3 , May 6 8:49 AM
          Hi Steve G.,

          Thanks for the kind words.

          > I do wonder: Was there considered logic that led you to "self-publish"
          rather than to include the information on the Wiki?

          --- My goal is to develop a complete article on the SBC6120/FP6120, as
          part of the Tronola <http://www.tronola.com/> website. We are working
          on major additions in the vintage computing arena. I did consider also
          doing something on the STG Wiki but I'm not familiar with Mediawiki
          coding and can't commit to delving into that right now. I did offer to
          add links to the parts list files to the wiki...

          Steve L.