Another SBC6120 assembled...

  • David Comley
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 1, 2013
      Bob Armstrong was asking last month for feedback from folks who'd assembled his SBC6120/FP6120 kits.

      I bought mine nearly two years ago in one of the group buys but only just got around to putting together the SBC6120.

      I made a slight modification to the IDE connector and am using a Transcend IDE disk-on-module for storage. It seems to work just fine. I put up a picture here -  the Transcend module hangs right off the IDE connector:

      http://comley.us/browse.php?&action=show&artefactID=1085

      I'm looking forward to putting together the FP6120, hopefully later this month.

      Thanks Bob for providing such a fine device !

      -David

    • aa3nm
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 14, 2013
        I just finished my SBC6120RC...

        I have to say - Bob does an absolutely wonderful job with the kitting and packaging, the design of the kit, as with all Bob's stuff is first rate, without a doubt!

        Bob, thank you ever so much! It was a pleasure building a project with as much thought and planning as this kit shows.

        I got the laser cut plexi front panel from Ethan... Equally well done and a perfect fit.

        I installed sockets for all the chips, aligned all the I/O with the faceplate and then soldered them all. After everything was soldered I pawed through the schematics and formulated an approach to test the data and address busses with only the associated drivers. I did this by jumping the display select, clock etc lines to the DEP or other switch as necessary to clock the data switch register into either data or address bus and into the display. It's proved out the integrity of both busses (no shorted or missing bits) which I have found to be the most likely fault encountered when I build a CPU project.

        Finally, I populated the rest of the chips and applied power... LEDs flashing, and the POST completed with no faults found... Serial output into the console confirmed the system is operational.

        Now the process of finding, building and loading the OS-8 image into RAM disk.

        Anyone have any tips, links or stories etc. I'm in the "read the manual" mode but tips or stories from others would be welcome right now.

        Steve.

        --- In sparetimegizmos@yahoogroups.com, David Comley wrote:

        > Bob Armstrong was asking last month for feedback from folks who'd assembled his SBC6120/FP6120 kits.
        >
        > I bought mine nearly two years ago in one of the group buys but only just got around to putting together the SBC6120.
        >
        > I made a slight modification to the IDE connector and am using a Transcend IDE disk-on-module for storage. It seems to work just fine. I put up a picture here -  the Transcend module hangs right off the IDE connector:
        >
        > http://comley.us/browse.php?&action=show&artefactID=1085
        >
        > I'm looking forward to putting together the FP6120, hopefully later this month.
        >
        > Thanks Bob for providing such a fine device !
        >
        > -David

      • Brian Lloyd
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 14, 2013
          On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 7:20 PM, aa3nm <steve@...> wrote:

          > **
          >
          > Now the process of finding, building and loading the OS-8 image into RAM
          > disk.

          Send me an email and I might be able to give you some direction.

          --
          Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
          3191 Western Dr.

        • Bob Armstrong
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 15, 2013
            >Send me an email and I might be able to give you some direction.

            Would one of you be willing to write something up for the wiki?

            Thanks,
            Bob

          • aa3nm
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 15, 2013
              Bob,
              Thanks for asking... I was thinking about formalizing my bus checkout procedure and (since i have no other safe place to put it) adding it into a new tab for checkout procedures.
              Ii've finished up a big effort at work and should have some time in the next few days.

              Steve

              --- In sparetimegizmos@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Armstrong" wrote:

              > >Send me an email and I might be able to give you some direction.
              >
              > Would one of you be willing to write something up for the wiki?
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Bob

            • aa3nm
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 28, 2013
                I finally carved out the little bit of time to load and work through the last (gray matter) issue with my SBC6120-RC.

                The image I received from Brian L. has been successfully loaded into Ram Disk. OS/8 comes up with the boot command. All the commands are working fine and the help files are very helpful. I found a string of PDP8 documentation on line and that was informative, but far too much detail for this final hurtle.

                Initially I was having issues getting BASIC to run or save a small Hello World program, and then I realized that the OS was also unable to do anything that involved a disk write. I was convinced there was something I was doing wrong but couldn't seem to find it in the manuals.

                During a short phone call with Brian (since it was his image I was using) the tiny piece of crucial information fell from my mouth - I have not installed the additional RAM. I'm sure it would have taken several rounds of posting to the group before stumbling onto this important subtlety. (Thanks, Brian, for the chat).

                What this means is that one of the two devices (SYS & DSK) shown by RESORCES isn't...
                SYS lives in the first set of RAMs, DSK in the second on the Build in Brian's image since he used a full complement of RAMs. As a result any write to DSK must fail, and it seems that is the default path for any write to disk.

                Solution:
                ASSIGN SYS DSK: solves that issue by assigning any accesses to DSK onto SYS.

                BASIC is up and running, Hello World is counting to 100 and printing
                HELLO 1
                HELLO 99
                HELLO 100
                READY

                All is well.

                Be well, all

                Steve

                --- In sparetimegizmos@yahoogroups.com, Brian Lloyd <brian-wb6rqn@...> wrote:

                > On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 7:20 PM, aa3nm <steve@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >
                > > Now the process of finding, building and loading the OS-8 image into RAM
                > > disk.
                > >

                > Send me an email and I might be able to give you some direction.
                >
                > --
                > Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
                > 3191 Western Dr.
                > Cameron Park, CA 95682
                > brian@...
                > +1.767.617.1365 (Dominica)
                > +1.916.877.5067 (USA)

              • Bob Armstrong
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 28, 2013
                  > one of the two devices (SYS & DSK) shown by RESORCES isn't...

                  FWIW, the RESOURCES command shows you the device drivers that are
                  installed, not what's online. The uninstalled RAM disk looks like an
                  offline drive to OS/8 (e.g. a floppy drive w/o a diskette in it, or an RK05
                  that's spun down).

                  >ASSIGN SYS DSK:

                  That's exactly the right answer. Kudos to both of you for figuring it
                  out.

                  Do I smell a wiki entry coming up??

                  Thanks,
                  Bob
                • Bob Armstrong
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 28, 2013
                    >ASSIGN SYS DSK: solves that ...

                    P.S. I assume you know that you have to re-enter this command every time
                    you boot. If you're brave, the other option is to re-run the BUILD program
                    (the OS/8 system generation tool) and build a new system image ("system
                    head" in OS/8 lingo) that disables the VMA1 driver and assigns DSK to SYS by
                    default.

                    Bob
                  • shutchman3
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 28, 2013
                      Steve,
                      I have an SBC6120-E that I can get to the pass POST screen. It also recognizes the 30M IDE. I am having trouble getting an image to work on the 30M Compact Flash card Type I. I have tried Steve Gibson's Wintoata and ImageOS8 and it's not wanting to boot to dot prompt. I can perform DL 0000 on the compact flash card, and it does "format". Can you send me your working image and instructions on how to load it on CF?
                      Hutch

                      --- In sparetimegizmos@yahoogroups.com, "aa3nm" <steve@...> wrote:

                      > I finally carved out the little bit of time to load and work through the last (gray matter) issue with my SBC6120-RC.
                      >
                      > The image I received from Brian L. has been successfully loaded into Ram Disk. OS/8 comes up with the boot command. All the commands are working fine and the help files are very helpful. I found a string of PDP8 documentation on line and that was informative, but far too much detail for this final hurtle.
                      >
                      > Initially I was having issues getting BASIC to run or save a small Hello World program, and then I realized that the OS was also unable to do anything that involved a disk write. I was convinced there was something I was doing wrong but couldn't seem to find it in the manuals.
                      >
                      > During a short phone call with Brian (since it was his image I was using) the tiny piece of crucial information fell from my mouth - I have not installed the additional RAM. I'm sure it would have taken several rounds of posting to the group before stumbling onto this important subtlety. (Thanks, Brian, for the chat).
                      >
                      > What this means is that one of the two devices (SYS & DSK) shown by RESORCES isn't...
                      > SYS lives in the first set of RAMs, DSK in the second on the Build in Brian's image since he used a full complement of RAMs. As a result any write to DSK must fail, and it seems that is the default path for any write to disk.
                      >
                      > Solution:
                      > ASSIGN SYS DSK: solves that issue by assigning any accesses to DSK onto SYS.
                      >
                      > BASIC is up and running, Hello World is counting to 100 and printing
                      > HELLO 1
                      > HELLO 99
                      > HELLO 100
                      > READY
                      >
                      > All is well.
                      >
                      > Be well, all
                      >
                      > Steve
                      >

                      > --- In sparetimegizmos@yahoogroups.com, Brian Lloyd <brian-wb6rqn@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 7:20 PM, aa3nm <steve@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > **
                      > > >
                      > > > Now the process of finding, building and loading the OS-8 image into RAM
                      > > > disk.
                      > > >

                      > > Send me an email and I might be able to give you some direction.
                      > >
                      > > --
                      > > Brian Lloyd, WB6RQN/J79BPL
                      > > 3191 Western Dr.
                      > > Cameron Park, CA 95682
                      > > brian@
                      > > +1.767.617.1365 (Dominica)
                      > > +1.916.877.5067 (USA)

                    • Bob Armstrong
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 28, 2013
                        > Can you send me your working image and instructions on how to load it on
                        CF?

                        His image is for RAMdisk - it's not going to work on a CF/IDE drive.

                        Steve's images do work. Sorry - I don't know what your particular problem
                        is.

                        Bob
                      • Bill Saltzstein
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 28, 2013
                          Silly question: to add the RAM, I assume all that is involved is adding the two RAM chips (U10, U11) and their associated decoupling caps.

                          Being an otherwise efficient (lazy) engineer, could you suggest a source for the RAM?

                          Thanks!
                          Bill

                          --
                          Bill Saltzstein
                          bill@...

                        • Bob Armstrong
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 28, 2013
                            >I assume all that is involved is adding the two RAM chips (U10, U11) and
                            their associated decoupling caps.

                            Yes.

                            >Being an otherwise efficient (lazy) engineer, could you suggest a source
                            for the RAM?

                            Jameco.

                            Bob
                          • Steve Gemeny
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 28, 2013
                              Yes, I was aware to the need to reASSIGN... I also figured there was a good opportunity to really mess things up (or solve that little issue) by rebuilding the system. Assuming that the former was the likely result I plan on buying the RAM next time I order parts.

                              Steve

                              Sent by my large thumbs via tiny soft iKeys...

                              On Feb 28, 2013, at 10:16 AM, "Bob Armstrong" <bob@...> wrote:

                              > >ASSIGN SYS DSK: solves that ...
                              >
                              > P.S. I assume you know that you have to re-enter this command every time
                              > you boot. If you're brave, the other option is to re-run the BUILD program
                              > (the OS/8 system generation tool) and build a new system image ("system
                              > head" in OS/8 lingo) that disables the VMA1 driver and assigns DSK to SYS by
                              > default.
                              >
                              > Bob

                            • jim121049
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 1, 2013
                                In the "Files" area there is a RAM Disk Image for SBC6120-RCs with 512K of RAM (U8 and U9 installed) on which both SYS and DSK are assigned to Unit 0.