Anybody get elfos_0_2_8 running ?

  • electricalntv
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 10, 2012
      Hi All,

      So pleased that I finally got my ELF2k up and running!
      I was happy when I was able to order the kit this year and finally got all of the parts I needed to assemble it.
      It went together quite easily. I soldered it over the course of (2) days. Then I cleaned the boards of any flux
      and did the smoke test. With no chips installed the +5VDC bus was fine. Then I installed all of the chips.
      ( Good thing that I took a photo of the bare boards so that I had component locations , with the sockets
      installed it was hard to remember which is which - Web had many pics as well )

      First Mistake - I didn't have a battery for NV installed. I powered up and pressed the enter key and was happy
      to see the sign on message!

      After playing with the monitor for a while I decided to do a memory test. It passed a few times then the unit started
      emitting "aaaaaaaa".Then I got the RAM test to pass (5) times then screw up. Then I went to bed and decided to look at
      it the next day. I looked for shorts and opens and ohmed out the bus lines. All was OK. Luckily this group came up
      in a search and others had a similar problem. It turns out that the DS1210 will glitch if the BAT2 ( Pin 7 ) of the IC

      is left unconnected which it is. So I soldered a jumper to GND on that pin. Although I am sure it would work I still

      did not have the primary battery.

      My workaround is this - Rather than going to buy a battery I had a DS1230AB 32kX8 NV RAM in my parts bin.
      So took an (8) pin IC socket shorted pins (1) to Pin (8) and also shorted pins (5) to Pin (6). I took this socket
      and put it in place of the DS1210. This effectively removes this function from the circuit. I remove the 62256 and
      install the DS1230AB in its place. It worked just great! This has the NV chip & Battery already inside the epoxy

      package. Instant NV ram.

      I ran the memory test for hours ( 256 times at least ) with no errors.

      As I was too chicken to solder the Compact Flash connector on the Disk board I used a IDE to CF converter board
      which is about the same cost as that connector anyway. The adapter board I bought has the standard PC power connector on

      it as well as an option to be powered by PIN 20 of the IDE connector. On the DISK board it was left unconnected so
      I soldered a jumper to +5VDC to it. This pin is normally a keying pin on an IDE connector. This worked out nicely.

      Then to the ELFDOS. I tried to load the Intel hex file labeled elfos_0_2_8 which kept giving me memory errors ?
      I used the previous version elfos2k_0_2_6 which loaded just fine. Then I formatted the CF card and all is great.
      Of course I read the manual which told me to use RUN 3000 which did not work. This forum indicated that
      CALL 3000 was the proper thing to do.

      Has anybody got elfos_0_2_8 running ? If so what is the trick ?

      Nick
    • Mark G Thomas
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 12, 2012
        Hi,

        On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 11:59:35PM -0000, electricalntv wrote:
        > Hi All,
        >

        > So pleased that I finally got my ELF2k up and running!

        > Then to the ELFDOS. I tried to load the Intel hex file labeled
        > elfos_0_2_8 which kept giving me memory errors ?
        > I used the previous version elfos2k_0_2_6 which loaded
        > just fine. Then I formatted the CF card and all is great.
        > Of course I read the manual which told me to use RUN 3000
        > which did not work. This forum indicated that
        > CALL 3000 was the proper thing to do.
        >
        > Has anybody got elfos_0_2_8 running ? If so what is the trick ?
        >
        > Nick

        I see in my notes that some people had trouble with elfOS2k_0_2_8.hex
        due to the CR/LF formatting of the file. See this post explaining:

        I did not run into any trouble with elfos_0_2_8, once I got it
        transferred successfully. I was using a Mac, so found a C filter to use
        with minicom for the file transfer by Al Williams http://www.hotsolder.com
        The articles section of his site seems broken now, but maybe someone
        can find an e-mail or another way of contacting him if interested.

        End result:
        ---------------
        COSMAC ELF 2000 EPROM V60 CHECKSUM 92F6 SRAM 32K CONTENTS OK
        Copyright (C) 2004-2005 by Spare Time Gizmos. All rights reserved.
        ElfOS BIOS Copyright (C) 2004 by Mike Riley.

        IDE Master: 62Mb Hyperstone ATA
        02/23/1972 05:56:00
        For help type HELP.

        >>>run 3000