IOB6120 status?

  • Brad Rodriguez
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 9, 2011
      Whatever happened to the IOB6120 boards (assembled)? I'm still waiting
      for mine, and it's been months since I've seen any message about their
      status.

      Regards,
      Brad
      --
      brad@...
    • Mike Roach
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 7 9:01 AM
        On Fri, 9 Sep 2011, Brad Rodriguez wrote:

        > Whatever happened to the IOB6120 boards (assembled)? I'm still waiting
        > for mine, and it's been months since I've seen any message about their
        > status.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Brad

        No update? Still waiting for mine, too. Any word on what's happening?
      • Richard Williams
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 7 9:18 AM
          I ordered one assembled kit, and an extra not assembled kit, and am also
          still waiting for both, or any indication of progress.
          I sent a direct email message asking for confirmation of my order
          status, and got no response at all.

          I would be happy just getting the two parts kits un-assembled at this point.

          'been patiently waiting...
          Richard

          On 10/7/11 12:01 PM, Mike Roach wrote:

          > On Fri, 9 Sep 2011, Brad Rodriguez wrote:
          >
          > > Whatever happened to the IOB6120 boards (assembled)? I'm still waiting
          > > for mine, and it's been months since I've seen any message about their
          > > status.
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > > Brad
          >
          > No update? Still waiting for mine, too. Any word on what's happening?

        • Henk Gooijen
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 7 10:59 AM
            Yeah, I am wondering as well where the IOB6120 is that I paid for
            many moons ago ... I am still waiting for the IOB6120 to complete
            the project and then sell it (shift of interest)!

            If you are looking for an SBC6120 with FP6120, but afraid of the
            soldering and assembly work, this might be your best bet:
            I have a great looking (and working of course) SBC6120 with FP6120.
            The switches are not white, nor black. They are painted in the colors
            of the front panel! At the rear side of the front panel is the SBC6120
            and a (laptop) hard disk from which OS/8 boots (IIRC).
            I have all original invoices; a good offer might help me to sell it.
            I can promise that when (if...) the IOB6120 arrives it will be passed
            on to the buyer of my SBC/FP.

            - Henk, PA8PDP

            On Fri, 9 Sep 2011, Brad Rodriguez wrote:

            > Whatever happened to the IOB6120 boards (assembled)? I'm still waiting
            > for mine, and it's been months since I've seen any message about their
            > status.
            >
            > Regards,
            > Brad

            No update? Still waiting for mine, too. Any word on what's happening?

          • Dave McGuire
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 7 1:31 PM
              On 10/07/2011 12:18 PM, Richard Williams wrote:
              > I ordered one assembled kit, and an extra not assembled kit, and am also
              > still waiting for both, or any indication of progress.
              > I sent a direct email message asking for confirmation of my order
              > status, and got no response at all.

              I saw no such email, did you send it to me, or someone else?

              Here is the whole story.

              I took on the assembly job forever ago, anticipating charging $75 per
              board as a favor, because I love PDP-8s, I love my SBC6120, I like doing
              things for friends and for the community, and I have the skills and
              equipment to assemble such boards. Another person, Rob Ribbeck up in
              NY, took on the task of getting all the parts together.

              Rob had health and organizational issues which caused that process to
              drag on for a while, but he made good on his promise and got the parts
              to me. I procrastinated way too long, and I allowed several weeks to
              pass before I even opened the box of parts. I then started the assembly
              process, working on it an hour or two every day or so, for about two weeks.

              I then lost my job, and things completely went to shit. You know how
              it goes. To make a long story short, over the next many months, I was
              unable to keep things together and ended up losing my home to foreclosure.

              Several times, I've tried to create a situation in which I'd be able
              to finish the assembly of those boards, but each time something got in
              the way.

              Through another long story, my fiancee' and I were able to acquire a
              biggish commercial building in the Pittsburgh area, and move our stuff
              up here. That's a big deal, because "my stuff" consists of a large lab,
              about 50 (yes fifty) six-foot racks of both vintage and modern, computer
              equipment, and about 1100 books. I'll be building a computer museum
              here, and we'll have our residence upstairs, and I've been putting
              together my electronics lab again starting about a month ago. I can
              take some pics of what's going on here if that'd make it more clear.

              I've gotten a great new job, just last week actually, and things are
              finally starting to look better for us. That job entails lots of
              electronic design and assembly work, which will have me in the lab a lot
              of the time. It is my intention to work the IOB6120 assembly into that
              time.

              Of course, I cannot in good conscience expect to charge even $75 to
              assemble those boards at this point, as it has been so damn long. It is
              my intention to complete the assembly gratis.

              > I would be happy just getting the two parts kits un-assembled at this point.

              I can pack them up and send them to you if you like, but I am willing
              to build them. I really do believe, "for real this time", that I will
              be able to finish them soon.

              > 'been patiently waiting...
              > Richard

              ...and I appreciate your way-above-and-beyond patience.

              -Dave

              --
              Dave McGuire
              New Kensington, PA
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 7 1:57 PM
                Dave, thanks for the status report. That's mainly what I was after; the
                long silence was getting a bit worrisome. I'm glad to hear your affairs
                have taken a turn for the better.

                Just for the record, though, I paid $55 (not $75) for the assembly. I
                hope that found its way to you; I'm not asking you to do the assembly
                gratis.

                Regards,
                Brad
                --
                brad@...
              • Richard Williams
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 7 2:41 PM
                  I sent the email to both Mr Lowry and Mr Ribbeck at the end of December
                  of 2010, as a reply to Mr Ribbeck's message at that time where he
                  indicated he lost his computer with all the related records. ( I will
                  forward that email directly to you now ) It would have been nice if one
                  of them forwarded the email to you on my behalf, but perhaps there were
                  more computer issues and that email was lost.

                  Mr Ribbeck indicated that he had recovered his data from backup, and I
                  just asked for confirmation of my order details in the data recovery and
                  latest status, as he seemed to be preparing to finish up his work with
                  the kits.

                  I am glad to hear you have a new job. That means a lot considering the
                  state of the job market today.

                  Richard

                  On 10/7/11 4:31 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

> [...]
                  > finally starting to look better for us. That job entails lots of
                  > electronic design and assembly work, which will have me in the lab a lot
                  > of the time. It is my intention to work the IOB6120 assembly into that
                  > time.
                  >
                  > Of course, I cannot in good conscience expect to charge even $75 to
                  > assemble those boards at this point, as it has been so damn long. It is
                  > my intention to complete the assembly gratis.
                  >
                  > > I would be happy just getting the two parts kits un-assembled at
                  > this point.
                  >
                  > I can pack them up and send them to you if you like, but I am willing
                  > to build them. I really do believe, "for real this time", that I will
                  > be able to finish them soon.
                  >
                  > > 'been patiently waiting...
                  > > Richard
                  >
                  > ...and I appreciate your way-above-and-beyond patience.

                • Dave McGuire
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 8 4:09 PM
                    On 10/07/2011 04:57 PM, Brad Rodriguez wrote:
                    > Dave, thanks for the status report. That's mainly what I was after; the
                    > long silence was getting a bit worrisome. I'm glad to hear your affairs
                    > have taken a turn for the better.
                    >
                    > Just for the record, though, I paid $55 (not $75) for the assembly. I
                    > hope that found its way to you; I'm not asking you to do the assembly
                    > gratis.

                    Ok, that's a little disturbing; I'm pretty sure it was $75, and I've
                    never received a dime for assembly of any of those boards. WTF?

                    Also, I realize you're not asking for me to do it gratis, but I
                    intend to do so anyway.

                    I can't work on it right this second, but shortly we'll need to
                    figure out what happened to that money.

                    -Dave

                    --
                    Dave McGuire
                    New Kensington, PA
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 27, 2011
                      Hi Dave,

                      could you please let us know what the status of the IOB6120 assembly is? Can you commit to a date for this please?

                      It has now been two years since I paid for this and I really would like to get this finalised. If you can't get the boards assembled by the end of January could you please organise to send my board and any unassembled parts and I will organise to complete assembly myself.

                      Lionel...

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 12, 2012
                        Hi Dave,

                        could you please get back to me with regards to what the status of the IOB6120 boards are?

                        I really would like to get this sorted before the end of January. If you can't complete assembly by then could you please send me the PCB and parts in whatever state they are in and I will arrange to complete assembly myself.

                        Regards,

                        Lionel...

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 12, 2012
                          I agree and am making the same request.

                          I purchased two kits, one to be assembled.
                          Please, I wish both kits of parts sent to me asap without assembling.
                          Whoever has the funds, can keep the $50 I gave for assembly of one kit.
                          I just want the parts now please.

                          Thanks,
                          Richard Williams
                          evdriver@...

                        • Dave McGuire
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 12, 2012
                            On 01/12/2012 10:25 AM, Lionel Theunissen wrote:
                            > Hi Dave,
                            >
                            > could you please get back to me with regards to what the status of
                            > the IOB6120 boards are?

                            Hey Lionel! I'm still in the process of moving (five trucks and
                            counting) and haven't really made much progress in the past couple of
                            weeks. The last time I worked on them, I got the "big" chips soldered
                            down and had started on the discretes.

                            > I really would like to get this sorted before the end of January. If
                            > you can't complete assembly by then could you please send me the PCB
                            > and parts in whatever state they are in and I will arrange to
                            > complete assembly myself.

                            Understood. I'll see how quickly I can finish them up.

                            -Dave

                            --
                            Dave McGuire
                            New Kensington, PA
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 12, 2012
                              On 01/12/2012 11:23 AM, Richard Williams wrote:
                              > I agree and am making the same request.
                              >
                              > I purchased two kits, one to be assembled.
                              > Please, I wish both kits of parts sent to me asap without assembling.
                              > Whoever has the funds, can keep the $50 I gave for assembly of one kit.
                              > I just want the parts now please.

                              The assembly has already started; is that a problem on your end?

                              -Dave

                              --
                              Dave McGuire
                              New Kensington, PA
                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 12, 2012
                                On 01/12/2012 11:23 AM, Richard Williams wrote:
                                > I agree and am making the same request.
                                >
                                > I purchased two kits, one to be assembled.
                                > Please, I wish both kits of parts sent to me asap without assembling.
                                > Whoever has the funds, can keep the $50 I gave for assembly of one kit.
                                > I just want the parts now please.

                                Also, we're going to have to catch up with Robert, I haven't heard
                                from him in a long time. We never did work out how to handle the
                                shipping, and then the BIG can of worms...testing.

                                -Dave

                                --
                                Dave McGuire
                                New Kensington, PA
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 12, 2012
                                  From: Dave McGuire: Thursday, January 12, 2012 12:08 PM
                                  > Also, we're going to have to catch up with Robert, I haven't heard
                                  > from him in a long time. We never did work out how to handle the
                                  > shipping, and then the BIG can of worms...testing.

                                  With respect to testing...one thing that I never figured out was how to
                                  download flash contents quickly. There are flow control issues, since
                                  programming a flash page induces a noticeable delay. What I eventually
                                  did was to program the flash chips with a separate programmer, prior
                                  to soldering them down. Otherwise you could be looking at hours per
                                  board, just to flash them.

                                  Once the flash has the right contents, you also get the self diagnostics
                                  which aren't bad. Interpreting the failures can be an interesting exercise,
                                  but generally, if you can get the extension ROM sign-on then things are
                                  at least usably OK.

                                  Here's my page (such as it is) about that:
                                  http://www.so-much-stuff.com/pdp8/sbc6120/iob6120.php

                                  The clock, RAMDISK, and CF interface are checkable with the firmware, and
                                  once you've got that far, you can use EDU25 BASIC and a few terminals to
                                  try out the serial ports and VT52 emulation:
                                  http://www.so-much-stuff.com/pdp8/sbc6120/edu25.php

                                  For the parallel port, all I ever did was rig up some LEDs to a 25 pin connector
                                  and write a program to shift bits and output to the parallel port. If the
                                  pattern
                                  in the LEDs changed appropriately, I called it good. (Theoretically, I should
                                  have hooked up a printer, or at least something that reported status, and
                                  checked with that.)

                                  Dave, do you have information about who ordered what, or is that all still
                                  with Robert R.?

                                  Vince
                                • Richard Williams
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 12, 2012
                                    Partially assembled is no problem.
                                    Just trying to simplify and expedite the situation.

                                    Richard

                                    On 1/12/12 3:08 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

                                    > On 01/12/2012 11:23 AM, Richard Williams wrote:
                                    > > I agree and am making the same request.
                                    > >
                                    > > I purchased two kits, one to be assembled.
                                    > > Please, I wish both kits of parts sent to me asap without assembling.
                                    > > Whoever has the funds, can keep the $50 I gave for assembly of one kit.
                                    > > I just want the parts now please.
                                    >
                                    > Also, we're going to have to catch up with Robert, I haven't heard
                                    > from him in a long time. We never did work out how to handle the
                                    > shipping, and then the BIG can of worms...testing.
                                    >
                                    > -Dave
                                    >
                                    > --
                                    > Dave McGuire
                                    > New Kensington, PA

                                  • Lionel Theunissen
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 14, 2012
                                      Hi Dave,

                                      I think you need to get the ball rolling on this and organise to get this done in a set timeframe. I realise that things have happened that got in the way, but it needs to be made a priority or chances are it is never going to be finished. I should point out that I paid for this two years ago now.

                                      As I said if you can't get it done then I'm happy to finish the assembly myself, but this really cannot be left to go on indefinitely.

                                      Regards,

                                      Lionel...

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 14, 2012
                                        On 01/14/2012 11:13 AM, Lionel Theunissen wrote:
                                        > I think you need to get the ball rolling on this and organise to get
                                        > this done in a set timeframe. I realise that things have happened
                                        > that got in the way, but it needs to be made a priority or chances
                                        > are it is never going to be finished. I should point out that I paid
                                        > for this two years ago now.
                                        >
                                        > As I said if you can't get it done then I'm happy to finish the
                                        > assembly myself, but this really cannot be left to go on
                                        > indefinitely.

                                        I agree on all points. When this came up again a few days ago, I
                                        started a big push to get it done. I now have all SMT chips soldered
                                        down on twelve of the boards. I need another day or two to finish
                                        those, then do the discretes (which will be quick because there aren't
                                        many) then the through-hole parts (mostly just connectors) which will
                                        take a bit of time. Let's regroup in a few days and see what the next
                                        steps should be.

                                        -Dave

                                        --
                                        Dave McGuire