Re: Beta Testers wanted for Elf 2000/Embedded Elf Firmware Update

  • erd_6502
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 21, 2006
      --- In sparetimegizmos@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Armstrong" <bob@...>
      wrote:

      > Guys,
      >
      > I have an updated version of the firmware, now V85, for the
      > Elf 2000 and Embedded Elf.... I'd like to find a couple of people
      > to beta test it, just so I can get somebody else's opinion before
      > I ship it.

      Did anyone step forward for this? I just got my Embedded Elf
      assembled and working tonight, so now I can turn my thoughts to upgrades.

      I was able to locate an EPROM/GAL programmer at work (in the bottom of
      a box of spare parts) and was finally able to program an Atmel 22V10
      as the EElf GAL. Programming a v85 EPROM shouldn't be a problem,
      presuming I can erase an EPROM first. I have spare chips, but the
      closest thing I have on hand to an eraser is a dental epoxy curing
      wand. Going to give it a go with a pull. If it works, I can upgrade
      both my Elf 2000 and my Embedded Elf with whatever ends up being the
      final (next) version.

      -ethan
    • J.C. Wren
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 21, 2006
        I had provided some feedback on a problem with the BASIC section. Bob
        sent me a v85a, but I don't know if there was going to be a formal v86
        release.

        --jc

        erd_6502 wrote:
        > --- In sparetimegizmos@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Armstrong" <bob@...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Guys,
        > >
        > > I have an updated version of the firmware, now V85, for the
        > > Elf 2000 and Embedded Elf.... I'd like to find a couple of people
        > > to beta test it, just so I can get somebody else's opinion before
        > > I ship it.
        >
        > Did anyone step forward for this? I just got my Embedded Elf
        > assembled and working tonight, so now I can turn my thoughts to upgrades.
        >
        > I was able to locate an EPROM/GAL programmer at work (in the bottom of
        > a box of spare parts) and was finally able to program an Atmel 22V10
        > as the EElf GAL. Programming a v85 EPROM shouldn't be a problem,
        > presuming I can erase an EPROM first. I have spare chips, but the
        > closest thing I have on hand to an eraser is a dental epoxy curing
        > wand. Going to give it a go with a pull. If it works, I can upgrade
        > both my Elf 2000 and my Embedded Elf with whatever ends up being the
        > final (next) version.
        >
        > -ethan

        > Spare time
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Spare+time&w1=Spare+time&w2=Craft+hobby&w3=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w4=Home+electronics&w5=Marine+electronics&w6=Stg&c=6&s=116&.sig=S3dNuPtnLupYZguQZ_O7Pg>
        > Craft hobby
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Spare+time&w2=Craft+hobby&w3=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w4=Home+electronics&w5=Marine+electronics&w6=Stg&c=6&s=116&.sig=S9IJGbEzVapF3MQi2PPNiA>
        > Hobby and craft supply
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Spare+time&w2=Craft+hobby&w3=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w4=Home+electronics&w5=Marine+electronics&w6=Stg&c=6&s=116&.sig=aM7dAhzCONoGKfMWfWD9rw>
        >
        > Home electronics
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Home+electronics&w1=Spare+time&w2=Craft+hobby&w3=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w4=Home+electronics&w5=Marine+electronics&w6=Stg&c=6&s=116&.sig=IPM_mMukr8RoMExCIyQWXw>
        > Marine electronics
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Marine+electronics&w1=Spare+time&w2=Craft+hobby&w3=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w4=Home+electronics&w5=Marine+electronics&w6=Stg&c=6&s=116&.sig=zg1jAquIjb4ZtJebUTBDMA>
        > Stg
        > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Stg&w1=Spare+time&w2=Craft+hobby&w3=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w4=Home+electronics&w5=Marine+electronics&w6=Stg&c=6&s=116&.sig=qbtEJ-0YjTZRhFcJRw_OfQ>

      • Andrew Wasson
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 21, 2006
          I also did some testing and found some wierdness with the basic section. I
          concluded that the problem I found was eliminated if you tested RAM before
          running the basic section. Not sure if that has been fixed yet. Forth seemed
          fine to me although I only did some rudimentary testing.

          Andrew

          _____

          erd_6502 wrote:
> [...]
          4=Home+electronics&w5=Marine+electronics&w6=Stg&c=6&s=116&.sig=IPM_mMukr8RoM
          ExCIyQWXw>
          > Marine electronics
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
          ft+hobby&w3=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w4=Home+electronics&w5=Marine+electronics
          &w6=Stg&c=6&s=116&.sig=zg1jAquIjb4ZtJebUTBDMA>
          &k=Marine+electronics&w1=Spare+time&w2=Craft+hobby&w3=Hobby+and+craft+supply
          &w4=Home+electronics&w5=Marine+electronics&w6=Stg&c=6&s=116&.sig=zg1jAquIjb4
          ZtJebUTBDMA>
          > Stg
          > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms
          by+and+craft+supply&w4=Home+electronics&w5=Marine+electronics&w6=Stg&c=6&s=1
          16&.sig=qbtEJ-0YjTZRhFcJRw_OfQ>
          &k=Stg&w1=Spare+time&w2=Craft+hobby&w3=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w4=Home+electr
          onics&w5=Marine+electronics&w6=Stg&c=6&s=116&.sig=qbtEJ-0YjTZRhFcJRw_OfQ>

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "sparetimegizmos
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sparetimegizmos> " on the web.

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          _____

        • Robert Armstrong
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 21, 2006
            >but I don't know if there was going to be a formal v86 release.

            There will be - I'm waiting to get the final boards for the Video and GPIO
            cards back from the PCB house so I can test 'em before I release the
            firmware. Also, the new video card has a hardware modification that will
            reduce the software overhead for refreshing the display, and that will
            require a few simple changes to the video ISR.

            Bob

          • erd_6502
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 23, 2006
              wrote:

              > >but I don't know if there was going to be a formal v86 release.
              >
              > There will be - I'm waiting to get the final boards for the
              > Video and GPIO cards back from the PCB house so I can test 'em
              > before I release the firmware.

              Nice. I look forward to ordering one of each when they are ready,
              even if they won't arrive for months. I was just reading up on
              the preliminary GPIO board docs in the Elf 2000 manual... what
              are you using for a microcontroller to handle the PS/2 protocol?
              (I happen to have a few Atmel AT90S2313 and ATtiny2313
              microcontrollers here - the ATtiny2313s have the advantage
              of not requiring an external crystal if you can use the
              internal oscillator - and you can program them directly off of
              a PC parallel port - no device programmer required. The other
              huge advantage is that they are cheap - I picked up a stick of 5
              of them for well under $2 each.

              -ethan
            • Robert Armstrong
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 23, 2006
                > what are you using for a microcontroller to handle the PS/2 protocol?
                >(I happen to have a few Atmel AT90S2313 and ATtiny2313

                It is an Atmel, but not an AVR - the 89C2051.

                On some Joan Baez album, I think it's _Live from Every Stage_, there's a
                place where she's speaking to the audience and is saying something like "My
                next song ..." Right in the middle of her speech a fan in the audience
                jumps up and shouts out the name of a song - Joan pauses for a moment and
                then replies "No, it's not that one. I hope you can adjust."

                Bob
              • erd_6502
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 24, 2006
                  wrote:

                  > > what are you using for a microcontroller to handle the PS/2 protocol?
                  > >(I happen to have a few Atmel AT90S2313 and ATtiny2313
                  >
                  > It is an Atmel, but not an AVR - the 89C2051.

                  Hmm... looking at the pinouts, I see they are substantially the same -
                  I wonder if there are any specific features to the 89C2051 that you
                  are depending on. I look forward to perusing the code when it's
                  available.

                  -ethan