Re:Minimal PDP-8 that runs OS/8

  • Ulrich N Fierz
    Message 1 of 82 , Oct 2, 2008
      Hi Ethan and everyone
      well, I apologize for overestimating the 8L, I was (and am) just writing from memory. I had the one 8L I mentioned and added a BM08 with 8e memory cards as you did as well as the TC08 (mine has all positive 7400 logic) with a TU56. Some time ago I sold the 8L.

      However I switched soon to an 8i with a total of 24kW DEC memory and other options on the unit (KE, clock, paper tape) connected to the same TC08/TU56 combo. The next step was to add the interface to run the RX8E card (thanks for the flowers, that was me). This machine is still around in a H980 cabinet with adapted DEC power supplies (but nor the original 8i types). That was a good and powerful machine except that it did not have disks. Haven't used it for years - anyone interested?

      In parallel I used an 8e with RK05/RX8 and later an 8a with dual RL02/RX8 which ended for me the 8-saga until the SBC6120 came along :-).

      Best regards to everyone and next time I'll have a look into the manuals before writing...
      Ulrich

      Ulrich N Fierz

      Telecommunication Engineering Services

      Zurichbergstrasse 203