Re: Troubleshooting new Elf2K

  • josephjohnblackburn
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2008
      --- In sparetimegizmos@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Wasson" <andrew@...>
      wrote:
      > Here's a thought... Do you have your jumpers set correctly?
      >
      > Also, if you don't have a switch panel do you have a run switch hard
      > wired in somehow?

      Yes, jumpers accroding to the manual, but will double check.

      I did wonder about no switch panel - the manual doesn't say anything
      about this scenario, but with the switch kit unavailable, I just
      assumed (since the manual doesn't say) that it would work.

      I'll try toggling RUN with a jumper cable and see what that does. Just
      looking at page 11 in the manual - says the default for the run switch
      is ON.

      If it is currently perpetually in RESET state, could explain the
      problem...
    • Bob Armstrong
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1, 2008
        >I did wonder about no switch panel - the manual doesn't say anything
        >about this scenario, but with the switch kit unavailable, I just
        >assumed (since the manual doesn't say) that it would work.

        The switch panel is optional, but there are a couple of pins that you
        should jumper to ensure that inputs are not left floating.

        This is all spelled out, including the optional part, in section 2.3.4
        ("Toggle Switches") of the manual - "The entire switch panel, including the
        eight data switches and the LOAD, RUN, MP and INPUT switches, are completely
        optional."

        Did you ever check the state of those CPU pins that I asked about?

        Bob
      • josephjohnblackburn
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 1, 2008
          > The switch panel is optional, but there are a couple of pins that
          you
          > should jumper to ensure that inputs are not left floating.
          >
          > This is all spelled out, including the optional part, in section
          2.3.4
          > ("Toggle Switches") of the manual - "The entire switch panel,
          including the
          > eight data switches and the LOAD, RUN, MP and INPUT switches, are
          completely
          > optional."
          >
          > Did you ever check the state of those CPU pins that I asked about?
          >
          > Bob

          DOH!

          I jumpered these two signals and rebooted. The serial port was
          disconnected and the 1861 is out.

          It spun through the diags and went right to code 16.

          I connected the serial port and got:

          COSMAC ELF 2000 EPROM V87 CHECKSUM 78AD SRAM 32K INITIALIZED
          Copyright (C) 2004-2006 by Spare Time Gizmos. All rights reserved.
          ElfOS BIOS Copyright (C) 2004 by Mike Riley.

          For help type HELP

          Thanks to everyone who responded, and thanks Bob, for the catch!

          Now I can order the secondary boards! Whoohoo!
        • josephjohnblackburn
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 1, 2008
            --- In sparetimegizmos@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Armstrong" <bob@...> wrote:

            > Did you ever check the state of those CPU pins that I asked about?
            >
            > Bob

            No, but the board is now working - I will double-check the jumpers,
            after I re-socket the 1861, and check the signals per your list.

            I'm just greatly relieved that It's not down to scraping traces...

            (Working in hotel with little equipment is a challenge!)
          • Andrew Wasson
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 1, 2008
              Glad to hear you're online!

              It figures it would be something relatively simple... These thing are
              bullet proof : )

              Andrew

              --- In sparetimegizmos@yahoogroups.com, "josephjohnblackburn"