SBC6120 retirement

  • Robert Armstrong
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 18, 2005
      It was almost exactly four years ago that Spare Time Gizmos shipped our
      first kit, the SBC6120 "build your own PDP-8 clone." Debee and I spent that
      Thanksgiving stuffing 6120 chips, PC boards and GALs into shipping
      envelopes, and the Friday after Thanksgiving we took a huge bag of them over
      to the post office. And that was before it even had a front panel!

      http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/Hardware/SBC6120-2.htm
      http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/Hardware/SBC6120_Front_Panel.htm

      Today I think I've sold one to pretty much everybody who wants to buy one,
      and sales have dropped off to a trickle over the past year or so. Sadly,
      we've come to the time when I'm starting to run low on the unique SBC6120
      parts, like 6120 chips and the paddle switches for the front panel. Because
      of the minimum quantities required, ordering more would be a significant
      financial commitment and on this fourth anniversary I've made difficult
      choice not to order any more SBC6120 parts.

      I've discontinued the partial kits to save the few remaining parts that I
      have for the full kits. As of this writing, I have enough parts for one
      (yes, one!) FP6120 front panel full kit and five SBC6120 full kits. I'll
      keep selling those at the current price until they're all gone.

      Although I won't be ordering more, I still have a fair number of bare PC
      boards for both the SBC6120 and FP6120, and the silk screened faceplates for
      the FP6120. You will still be able to build them if you're willing to find
      all your own parts.

      I'll post this announcement to some other more general circulation PDP-8
      groups next week, but before that I wanted to give all the Spare Time Gizmos
      customers first chance at what's left.

      Bob Armstrong
    • Marc Holmes
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 18, 2005
        I wanted to thank you for this product.

        I built my 6120 last December and am very proud
        of it as a unique keepsake of the history of
        computing.
        It is also smaller than buying a decmate and trying to
        store it for years. I had a lot of fun with it
        and everyonce in a while start it up and play a while.

        PDP 8 isn't something I used a lot, but the first
        computer
        I used was a PDP11/03 and I worked for DIGITAL from
        93 to 98 and got downsized by compaq.

        As a historical item, this is one that doesn't take
        a lot of room and is very usable and will be still in
        10
        years.

        Thanks
        Marc

        --- Robert Armstrong <bob@...> wrote:

        > It was almost exactly four years ago that Spare
        > Time Gizmos shipped our
        > first kit, the SBC6120 "build your own PDP-8 clone."
        > Debee and I spent that
        > Thanksgiving stuffing 6120 chips, PC boards and GALs
        > into shipping
        > envelopes, and the Friday after Thanksgiving we took
        > a huge bag of them over
        > to the post office. And that was before it even had
        > a front panel!

        http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/Hardware/SBC6120-2.htm

        http://www.sparetimegizmos.com/Hardware/SBC6120_Front_Panel.htm

        > Today I think I've sold one to pretty much
        > everybody who wants to buy one,
        > and sales have dropped off to a trickle over the
        > past year or so. Sadly,
        > we've come to the time when I'm starting to run low
        > on the unique SBC6120
        > parts, like 6120 chips and the paddle switches for
        > the front panel. Because
        > of the minimum quantities required, ordering more
        > would be a significant
        > financial commitment and on this fourth anniversary
        > I've made difficult
        > choice not to order any more SBC6120 parts.
        >
        > I've discontinued the partial kits to save the few
        > remaining parts that I
        > have for the full kits. As of this writing, I have
        > enough parts for one
        > (yes, one!) FP6120 front panel full kit and five
        > SBC6120 full kits. I'll
        > keep selling those at the current price until
        > they're all gone.
        >
        > Although I won't be ordering more, I still have a
        > fair number of bare PC
        > boards for both the SBC6120 and FP6120, and the silk
        > screened faceplates for
        > the FP6120. You will still be able to build them if
        > you're willing to find
        > all your own parts.
        >
        > I'll post this announcement to some other more
        > general circulation PDP-8
        > groups next week, but before that I wanted to give
        > all the Spare Time Gizmos
        > customers first chance at what's left.
        >
        > Bob Armstrong

        __________________________________
        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • rodshan6120
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 21, 2005
          I've got to say that this is kind of a disappointment, the SBC6120 is a truly
          spectacular machine! It would be nice if they were avaliable for years more, so that
          people who accidentally discover it, like me, could have the chance to experience this
          great processor. That said, I understand your position, and agree that it is time to put
          it in reirement, at least for the time being. If I ever hit the lottery, I hope that you
          would be willing to do a special run for me, and others who previously missed out.

          I use my SBC6120 just about every day. I've been working on a couple projects, just
          for fun, and it is fun working around the limitations of the pdp/8.

          Also, since completing the SBC6120, I've acquired an actual pdp/8E that is fully
          loaded (at the extreme price of hauling it away, and running a few ethernet cables for
          it's former owner). It's a beautiful system, in it's own right. But to be honest about it, I
          would much rather work with my SBC6120. The real thing throws off a lot of heat,
          spins the electric meter much too quickly, takes up thousands of times more space, is
          louder than I like, and the ASR33 is way too slow to seriously consider using! And no,
          I wouldn't consider parting with either one!

          Thanks once again for some truly spectacular projects!
          Rodger!