yahoo group thanks, comment on hardware suggestions from Robert D.

  • retrofarm
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 18, 2005
      In regards to adding a feature to an unused pin on a processor
      in the lifegame:

      If I had to choose between a microphone and a phototransistor
      or photoresistor, I would take the light sensor over the sound
      sensor any day. A light sensor could detect if someone was standing
      in front of the game, examining it. It could detect sunrise and sunset.
      It could be used to automatically set brightness of the display
      depending on ambient light conditions. And some other stuff that's
      just too silly to talk about.

      And if the sensor is infrared sensitive you could do different things
      with it than if it was more green/yellow sensitive (silicon sensor
      versus cadmium sulfide).

      But I'm a software type. Hardware exists only to convert the
      universe to bits, after which it can be easily manipulated, or
      to inflict my bits on the universe.

      Thanks for setting up the group, Robert.
    • Robert L. Doerr
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 18, 2005
        Hello,

        I think a light sensor may be something that could be an easy
        add-on. I'm sure just 8-bits of data would be plenty.

        Something more off the wall would be to add a couple pickups
        like a theremin. Probably overboard but interesting to think
        about.....

        People may react to it a little differently if they discover
        it is a more interactive device and they have control over it.

        There is a lot of possibilities for upgrades and hopefully others
        will have some good suggestions as well.

        Best Regards,

        Robert

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 18, 2005
          Hello,

          After building the LIFE game and going through all the modes
          and looking at the source, it seems that it may be possible
          to add an additional mode to the display. Below is a couple
          ideas for the layout of such a display. If it doesn't appear
          correct please view it in a font that has fixed spacing (like
          courier) so it all lines up. The numbers in the display are
          the weights of the bits for each digit. Please take a look
          and see what you think.....

          Robert

          Ideas for LIFE game BINARY clock mode.

          Layout #1:
          = LED off
          X = LED on
          # = BIT # of BCD digit data

          HRS MIN SEC
          . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
          X X X X . X X X X . X X X X .
          X . . X . X . . X . X . . X .
          X . 4 X . X 4 4 X . X 4 4 X .
          X . . X . X . . X . X . . X .
          X . 3 X . X 3 3 X . X 3 3 X .
          X . . X . X . . X . X . . X .
          X . 2 X . X 2 2 X . X 2 2 X .
          X . . X . X . . X . X . . X .
          X 1 1 X . X 1 1 X . X 1 1 X .
          X . . X . X . . X . X . . X .
          X 0 0 X . X 0 0 X . X 0 0 X .
          X . . X . X . . X . X . . X .
          X X X X . X X X X . X X X X .
          . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
          . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

          Layout #2:
          = LED off
          X = LED on
          # = BIT # of BCD digit data
          S = SECOND DISPLAY (rotate around like digital mode)

          HRS MIN
          S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S
          S . . . . . . . . . . . . . . S
          S . . . . . . . . . . . . . . S
          S . . . . 4 . X X . 4 . 4 . . S
          S . . . . . . . . . . . . . . S
          S . . . . 3 . X X . 3 . 3 . . S
          S . . . . . . . . . . . . . . S
          S . . . . 2 . X X . 2 . 2 . . S
          S . . . . . . . . . . . . . . S
          S . . 1 . 1 . X X . 1 . 1 . . S
          S . . . . . . . . . . . . . . S
          S . . 0 . 0 . X X . 0 . 0 . . S
          S . . . . . . . . . . . . . . S
          S . . . . . . . . . . . . . . S
          S . . . . . . . . . . . . . . S
          S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S

          Layout #3:
          Feel free to add your suggestion here.....
        • bobarmstrong_gizmos
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 18, 2005
            --- In lifegame@yahoogroups.com, "Robert L. Doerr" <rdoerr@b...> wrote:
            > Hello,
            >
            > I think a light sensor may be something that could be an easy
            > add-on. I'm sure just 8-bits of data would be plenty.

            If you guys are serious about this, then TI makes several "light to
            frequency" converters. It's device that outputs a 1 bit pulse train
            with a frequency that varies with the light intensity. The plus is
            that it only requires a single I/O pin to interface to a uP.
            Resolution depends on your software's ability to measure frequency;
            the gizmo itself is essentially an analog device.

            Bob
          • Robert L. Doerr
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 19, 2005
              I have been thinking about different ideas for
              making a case to mount the LIFE game in. I may
              go with a wood case like the one pictured on the
              group homepage. Another option may be a vacuum
              thermoformed case for it. I have access to a small
              vacuum forming machine and may try to make a top
              cover using that. This may sound crazy but I have
              an interesting way of making the mold! I'm going
              to borrow some of my son's LEGO blocks and snap them
              all together for what I hope is an interesting outline
              and relief pattern for the top cover. The heat won't
              be there long so I don't have to worry about the blocks.
              If it works out i'll post a few pictures.

              Any other ideas?

              Robert
            • Robert L. Doerr
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 25, 2005
                Hello Bob,

                I was looking at the parallax website www.parallax.com and noticed
                that they sell a TSL230 Light to Frequency Converter chip for under
                $5. That chip might be one that could be used to enable the LIFE
                game to sense the outside world. I'm going to pick up a couple and
                try them on the bench to see how they work.

                Robert

                --- In lifegame@yahoogroups.com, "bobarmstrong_gizmos" <bob@j...> wrote:
                > > --- In lifegame@yahoogroups.com, "Robert L. Doerr" <rdoerr@b...>
                wrote:
                > > Hello,
                > >
                > > I think a light sensor may be something that could be an easy
                > > add-on. I'm sure just 8-bits of data would be plenty.
                >
                > If you guys are serious about this, then TI makes several "light to
                > frequency" converters. It's device that outputs a 1 bit pulse train
                > with a frequency that varies with the light intensity. The plus is
                > that it only requires a single I/O pin to interface to a uP.
                > Resolution depends on your software's ability to measure frequency;
                > the gizmo itself is essentially an analog device.
                >
                > Bob
              • erd_6502
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 29, 2009
                  --- In sparetimegizmos@yahoogroups.com, "Robert L. Doerr" <rdoerr@...> wrote:

                  > Hello,
                  >
                  > After building the LIFE game and going through all the modes
                  > and looking at the source, it seems that it may be possible
                  > to add an additional mode to the display...

                  I had similar ideas when I first built my clock, but only got as far as stubbing in the code, not writing the actual mode formatting code. I'm a huge fan of binary clocks. I've built several (from individual TTL and CMOS 4-bit clock chips as well as microcontroller-based). I'm even wearing a binary wristwatch (thinkgeek.com).

                  > Ideas for LIFE game BINARY clock mode.

                  Interesting ideas. I hadn't thought of any sort of static border. I'd thought of something more like this...

                  Layout #3:
                  = LED off
                  X = LED on
                  # = BIT # of BCD digit data

                  HRS MIN SEC
                  (1-12)
                  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                  . 3 3 . . . . 3 3 . . . . 4 4
                  . 3 3 . . . . 3 3 . . . . 4 4
                  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                  . 2 2 . 2 2 . 2 2 . 2 2 . 2 2
                  . 2 2 . 2 2 . 2 2 . 2 2 . 2 2
                  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                  . 1 1 . 1 1 . 1 1 . 1 1 . 1 1
                  . 1 1 . 1 1 . 1 1 . 1 1 . 1 1
                  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                  . 0 0 . 0 0 . 0 0 . 0 0 . 0 0
                  . 0 0 . 0 0 . 0 0 . 0 0 . 0 0
                  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

                  There's no "room" for a 6-column clock with 2x2 spots, but there's room for a 5-column clock, counting the hours from 1-12 in the 5th column.

                  I just think the 2x2 spots will be easier to see across the room.

                  -ethan
                • mcb, inc.
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 3, 2009
                    On Wed, 29 Apr 2009, erd_6502 wrote:

                    > I had similar ideas when I first built my clock, but only got as far as stubbing in the code, not writing the actual mode formatting code. I'm a huge fan of binary clocks. I've built several (from individual TTL and CMOS 4-bit clock chips as well as microcontroller-based). I'm even wearing a binary wristwatch (thinkgeek.com).

                    Anyone interested in alternate time display modes
                    might want to look at:

                    http://tokyoflash.com/en/

                    --
                    Monty Brandenberg