New Member

  • sjwaldock
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 30, 2003
      Hi!

      I came across your group while searching for info about spaceplanes.

      My name is Simon and I've been interested in space since I was a
      little boy. I'm three weeks older than the space age, which should
      give you an idea of my age.

      I'm particularly interested in Cold War space, and unflown space
      projects. I'm also interested in British Space being British. (Yes
      we once did have a space programme but it was cancelled for reasons
      that are still unclear.)

      As to the question as to the economics of re-usable and expendable
      launch vehicles it depends on what you mean. Re-usable vehicles can
      be (or should be) developed more like aircraft with progressive
      flight testing. Expendable vehicles which have no non-destructive
      abort capability either work or are destroyed.

      I think (and I'm not an expert in the field) that re-usable vehicles
      are not yet reliable enough to be our only access to space. In the
      short term they are 'cheaper' as most development costs have been
      effectively written off but in the long term for affordable access
      to space re-usable vehicles must be the way to go.

      Simon