reviews of good new CDs

  • E. Alan Meece
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 7, 2005
      All of a sudden it appears there are lots of good spacemusic and ambient
      electronic releases this year, after what had appeared to be a slow
      start. We don't get everything there is to hear out here at KKUP in
      California, but of those I know, these are the best new ones:

      Kevin Kendle: Deep Skies 2: Lagoon of Eternity. This is a paragon of
      what spacemusic should be. It is also good healing music. It is
      imaginative, experiential, trancelike, sensuous. It is not at all
      overproduced (very elegant), but also not stark and dark. Just the right
      balance.

      Thom Brennan: Silver. I mentioned this one before. It may be the best of
      the year, but so might the Kevin Kendle or other contenders. This one is
      rich in experience to the max. Very gentle and inspirational.

      Robert Carty: Oceanic Space. Of course Carty has one of these great new
      albums. Carty's work always stands out as being the most emotionally
      engaging; and his music has a more edgy or powerful sound. The early
      tracks are somewhat marred by the "ping ping ping" sounds that I wish he
      would put behind him. Despite this, every track is well crafted with a
      jewel-like radiance, and the later tracks are the best; except the last
      track which is just some ocean sounds.

      Robert Rich: Echo of Small Things. Robert aims for a more subtle sound
      here and achieves it. Superbly crafted, and moving in a quiet way.

      Chris Bocast: Through the Airlock. This one is a real find. Very radiant
      and expansive spacemusic of the most vintage kind. Some wonderful themes
      and sounds.

      Robert Fripp and Brian Eno: The Equatorial Stars. These well-respected
      pioneers of the genre have now created an album to rank at least as good
      as their earlier classics. The guitar sounds are amazingly well done.

      Between Interval: Secret Observatory. This work contains 4 long tracks;
      the essence of absorbing, trance-like spacemusic journeys. Take a peek
      through this album into deep vistas!

      Numina: Eye of the Nautilus. Another great album from Jesse Sola. This
      one is perhaps even more emotionally-moving than his others; almost like
      Robert Carty. And his sounds are superply crafted, to my ears.

      Robert Scott Thompson: At the Still Point of the Turning World. This one
      is subtle, quiet and modestly scored. It is a gem of originality from
      what I can hear so far. It should be a good one for those seeking to
      find a still point within.

      William Edge: Beyond the Edge Into Infinity. The third of a trilogy, and
      the best of them, this CD is good from start to finish, with a variety
      of experiences that are exotic, spacey, original, and inspiring.

      In the world fusion realm, for those who are not familiar with The Seven
      Valleys by Stellamara (an SF area-based group), and Immortal Memory by
      Patrick Cassidy and Lisa Gerrard, I highly recommend these. The Seven
      Valleys has an amazingly exotic sound. Immortal Memory is like an
      ambient opera or solo oratorio, with Lisa's amazing voice and Cassidy's
      slow monumental music touching the soul. The latter disc is an early
      2004 release. Some of us spacemusic fans might not have encountered
      these works, but they are well worth seeking out.

      That's quite a crop indeed for a year that started out so slow.
      Spacemusic lives, and great artists continue to create it. I just wish
      there were a lot more sensitive ears around to appreciate and support
      it.

      Eric M.
      http://www.kkup.com/ericm.html
    • Jerry Nelms
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 8, 2005
        Eric,

        Thanks for the reviews.

        Just a reminder to ambient artists--Music from Beyond the Lakes has included
        music composed and performed by all the artists Eric mentions, with the
        exception of Mr. Bocast and Between Interval, and we'd love to do so again.
        And we'd like to include more ambient and electronic music in our
        programming in the future. Our listeners seem to prefer the more harmonic
        and melodious (the senusous, elegant, radiant) to the more dissonant and
        discordant, but they also like ambient/dance electronica crossover stuff.
        And we'll listen to anything sent to us. Please send all promotional
        materials to the following:

        Jerry Nelms
        Beyond the Lakes
        114 Magnolia Lane
        Carbondale, IL 62903

        Beyond the Lakes is a thematically programmed new age and contemplative
        world music program, broadcasting on WDBX, 91.1 FM, in Carbondale, Illinois,
        and live over the web at wdbx.scientistsuperstar.com, 8-10pm Central Time,
        Sundays. This week, we focus on the role that logic and reasoning play in
        human existence, with music by, among others, Paul Avgerinos, ZeroOne, Magic
        Sound Fabric, John Lakveet, Edward Artemiev, Jan Hammer, and Dweller at the
        Threshold.

        Love to include your work in future programs.

        Jerry