OT: Sandy and Kev

  • Schorry, Robert E.
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 1, 2012
      Some of you know Kev Kilkenny who is a FDNY fireman who lives and works
      on Staten Island, NY. I had no communication with him since Tuesday
      night when he was on duty (and that was on Facebook), and he was being
      chased by floodwaters.

      Just got a text message (cell phone) that the flood waters got within
      1.5 blocks of their house, all the houses to the east of him towards the
      ocean are devastated. They have had no heat or power for 4 days. Their
      house is about 6000 feet (1.83 km) from the ocean so the flood got that
      far!

      Kev and his family are safe and "are hanging in there."

      Rob

    • deBoer Architects
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 1, 2012
        Yes, I live in SI also. It is a real mess here.

        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 1, 2012
          Thanks fore the update Rob. I too saw his last update on FB and was beginning to wonder...

          David Guertin

          --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, "Schorry, Robert E." <Robert.Schorry@...> wrote:

          > Some of you know Kev Kilkenny who is a FDNY fireman who lives and works
          > on Staten Island, NY. I had no communication with him since Tuesday
          > night when he was on duty (and that was on Facebook), and he was being
          > chased by floodwaters.
          >

          > Just got a text message (cell phone) that the flood waters got within
          > 1.5 blocks of their house, all the houses to the east of him towards the
          > ocean are devastated. They have had no heat or power for 4 days. Their
          > house is about 6000 feet (1.83 km) from the ocean so the flood got that
          > far!
          >

          > Kev and his family are safe and "are hanging in there."
          >

          > Rob

        • Blap! Models
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 1, 2012
            I can;t even begin to image what it's like there. Thinking of you and everyone involved there.

            David Guertin

            --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, "deBoer Architects" <jdeboer@...> wrote:

            > Yes, I live in SI also. It is a real mess here.

          • Schorry, Robert E.
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 1, 2012
              Hang in there, Jock! Are you ok?

              Rob

              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 1, 2012
                Yes, we lost power but it is back. Lost a layer on the roof but it has
                several to spare!

                Yes, I live in SI also. It is a real mess here.

                From: space-modelers@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 1, 2012
                  My thoughts are with any and all of our gang who've been affected by Sandy,
                  but especially Kev 'cuz I've met him and known him a long time. We got off
                  lucky here in Massachusetts.

                  Karl D Dodenhoff
                  http://www.myspacemuseum.com/

                • Mike J. Idacavage
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 1, 2012
                    I am glad to see that Kev and Jock made it (reasonably) well through the
                    storm! Hope things continue to go well for you guys and the power & services
                    get back on soon.

                    Mike

                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 2, 2012
                      Thanks everyone. I live a few miles from where Kev lives (I think). I was
                      in that area yesterday and it is a different world down there. The damage
                      is incredible. You literally see no services other than police, fire and
                      ems out and about. There are quite a few people dead and missing.

                      From: space-modelers@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 2, 2012
                        Glad to know you guys are ok, having experienced first hand hurricanes since 1992, I know what you are going thru. One of the benefits of my job is that if needed, I get to fly over hurricane damaged areas. Having flown on the same EMS helicopter job for the last 22 years, I have seen first hand the destruction that result from such storms. My thoughts & prayers go out to all of those effected by Sandy as you start the recovery process.
                        Steve Sliger
                        Greenwell Spring, LA

                        On Nov 2, 2012, at 3:01, "deBoer Architects" <jdeboer@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks everyone. I live a few miles from where Kev lives (I think). I was
                        > in that area yesterday and it is a different world down there. The damage
                        > is incredible. You literally see no services other than police, fire and
                        > ems out and about. There are quite a few people dead and missing.

                      • Kevin Killenny
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 4, 2012
                          Hi all finally back in SMG cyberspace. Thanks for all the well wishes.

                          Rough couple of days at home and work, but we were lucky in that the surge waters who some described as a 20ft. tidal wave stopped 1.5 blocks away. Lost power Monday PM and still isn't back but too many blocks east of me (and other coastal areas if NYC) are devastated and turned into 19th century 3rd World Status.
                          So losing all the food in the fridge an sitting in a cold house is nothing compared to what could have been...

                          Jock, I'm in the Grant City area between Hylan and the railroad.

                          Kev K.

                          Sent from my iPhone

                          On Nov 1, 2012, at 5:37 PM, "Karl D Dodenhoff" <thedude@...> wrote:

                          > My thoughts are with any and all of our gang who've been affected by Sandy,
                          > but especially Kev 'cuz I've met him and known him a long time. We got off
                          > lucky here in Massachusetts.
                          >
                          > Karl D Dodenhoff
                          > http://www.myspacemuseum.com/

                        • deBoer Architects
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 4, 2012
                            Kev,

                            Let me know if you need anything. I’m over between clove lakes park and silver lake golf course.

                            Jock

                            On Nov 1, 2012, at 5:37 PM, "Karl D Dodenhoff" <thedude@... <mailto:thedude%40myspacemuseum.com> > wrote:

                            > My thoughts are with any and all of our gang who've been affected by Sandy,
                            > but especially Kev 'cuz I've met him and known him a long time. We got off
                            > lucky here in Massachusetts.
                            >
                            > Karl D Dodenhoff
                            > http://www.myspacemuseum.com/

                          • artkrull
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 5, 2012
                              Glad to hear you're ok Kev!

                              Hang in there!

                              Art
                              --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Killenny <kevtk@...> wrote:

                              > Hi all finally back in SMG cyberspace. Thanks for all the well wishes.
                              >
                              > Rough couple of days at home and work, but we were lucky in that the surge waters who some described as a 20ft. tidal wave stopped 1.5 blocks away. Lost power Monday PM and still isn't back but too many blocks east of me (and other coastal areas if NYC) are devastated and turned into 19th century 3rd World Status.
                              > So losing all the food in the fridge an sitting in a cold house is nothing compared to what could have been...
                              >
                              > Jock, I'm in the Grant City area between Hylan and the railroad.
                              >
                              > Kev K.
                              >
                              > Sent from my iPhone
                              >
                              > On Nov 1, 2012, at 5:37 PM, "Karl D Dodenhoff" <thedude@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > My thoughts are with any and all of our gang who've been affected by Sandy,
                              > > but especially Kev 'cuz I've met him and known him a long time. We got off
                              > > lucky here in Massachusetts.
                              > >
                              > > Karl D Dodenhoff
                              > > http://www.myspacemuseum.com/

                            • KT Kilkenny
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 5, 2012
                                Thanks Art. Gettin' a little better every day. Lights when on over on the next block where the lil stores are, so we can run over and do laundry, get something to eat etc...

                                Now my attention turns toward the Nor'easter comin'. Karl D. you should cast your gaze southward for this one. Some forecast models have to making a bee-line to you.

                                Kev K
                                ~ ~ ~

                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 5, 2012
                                  10-4.
                                  I'm pretty good right now. A neighbor threw an extension cord over the
                                  fence ;-) so we have heat and light in one room so we're good. Thanks.

                                  Kev K
                                  ~ ~ ~

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 5, 2012
                                    Hey Kev - I just checked and, yes, we're gonna get a Noreaster, with
                                    the precip starting Wednesday afternoon, but the snow is predicted for
                                    further inland and at the higher elevations. Whew!!

                                    I expect it won't be much longer until we DO get snow, though. Last
                                    winter was one of the mildest I've ever seen.

                                    Glad to hear that things are returning to normal, if slowly.

                                    Hang in there, Big Guy! We're all rooting for ya!

                                    karl
                                  • rbackofen_prolifics
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 7, 2012
                                      Kev:

                                      Glad to see you back online.

                                      I'm a long time lurker who lives in Katonah, NY, (up in Westchester) so I've been feeling your pain.

                                      I lost power a week ago Monday and it just got turned on this past Monday... unfortunately there was a damaged ground wire leading to my house and it sparked an electrical fire that completely destroyed my basement shop area. I just started going through the rubble this afternoon, but I've likely lost my entire kit collection, finished and unfinished, from my teen years through last year (luckily the kits I purchased recently were on the main floor and just have smoke damage). I'm still holding hope that some of my treasured Chris Chulamanis

                                      I'll have to enjoy watching everyone in the group until I can get settled again but it's going to be a long haul. At least I still have the house to repair, unlike some others in NY and NJ.

                                      Regards & be safe!

                                      Bob B.

                                      --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Killenny <kevtk@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi all finally back in SMG cyberspace. Thanks for all the well wishes.
                                      >
                                      > Rough couple of days at home and work, but we were lucky in that the surge waters who some described as a 20ft. tidal wave stopped 1.5 blocks away. Lost power Monday PM and still isn't back but too many blocks east of me (and other coastal areas if NYC) are devastated and turned into 19th century 3rd World Status.
                                      > So losing all the food in the fridge an sitting in a cold house is nothing compared to what could have been...
                                      >
                                      > Jock, I'm in the Grant City area between Hylan and the railroad.
                                      >
                                      > Kev K.
                                      >
                                      > Sent from my iPhone
                                      >
                                      > On Nov 1, 2012, at 5:37 PM, "Karl D Dodenhoff" <thedude@...> wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > My thoughts are with any and all of our gang who've been affected by Sandy,
                                      > > but especially Kev 'cuz I've met him and known him a long time. We got off
                                      > > lucky here in Massachusetts.
                                      > >
                                      > > Karl D Dodenhoff
                                      > > http://www.myspacemuseum.com/

                                    • Schorry, Robert E.
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 8, 2012
                                        Sorry about the power off, power on, then too much power. Sheesh what a
                                        shame. At least, as you say, you still have a house and you are safe.

                                        Rob