RE: [space-modelers] Re: Decal Offer

  • gary gilmore
    Message 1 of 16 , May 1, 2012
      Bert -

      Before you apply those old decals, you should give them a coat of 'decal film'. It's a clear liquid used to coat commercial decal film sheets after you print your decals using an ink-jet printer. That will prevent them from cracking into tiny little bits.

      Gary

      To: space-modelers@yahoogroups.com
      From: bl-nevada@...
      Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 01:49:47 +0000
      Subject: [space-modelers] Re: Decal Offer

      Hi Scott, There is a reissue of the revelle 1/48 apollo spacecraft that has the CSM sitting on top of the SLA with a LEMinside & the escape tower on top of the CM, that was a hard to find kit & i got one through EBay 2 years ago. The new reissue has different decals which were not available with the original kit and these new decals are great EXCEPT, they do not have the curved "UNITED STATES with the flag which goes on the command module. The new decals are not curved and i believe they go on the service module in a block 2 placement. This kit is a block 1 and really looks nice with the old style decals. These curved decals are not available anywhere & I have them scanned on my computer and a member on another forum resized them & sent them back to me just in case the old decals for my kit have a problem due to their age when i attempt to place them on my command module. I am sure there are others who would like the original looking decals that came with the original issue kit from the 1970's-80's i have them on my computer if you are interested. I wouldn't mind having an extra set or two just in case i have problems with my originals.
      Bert
      model maker

      --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, Scott Brotherton <jsb_mla@...> wrote:

      > It's me again,
      >
      > I am getting closer to the point of re-printing my Galex solar panel
      > decals. Awhile back I offered to print any small decals that you might
      > need. I have one person's decal in place on the sheet and am waiting to
      > hear if the second person has his files made yet. It is possible that I
      > will still have as much as half a sheet available. So, I am just
      > reminding everyone that, if you have any odds and ends that you might
      > like printed, please let me know.
      >
      > Scott Brotherton

    • bl_nevada
      Message 2 of 16 , May 1, 2012
        Scott ok , i see what you mean, the cm on this kit is gloss white with the decals having black lettering and an american flag. I thought maybe they would work with your decal sheet.
        bert

        --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, Scott Brotherton <jsb_mla@...> wrote:

        > Dear Bert,
        >
        > I would not mind, except for one major problem. In my original post I
        > stated that the paper I use is White, not Clear. So, I do not see how
        > the decal, you are asking about, would work with this. Also, I am
        > printing on a Laser Printer, so a solid white can not be printed. The
        > decals I can print are only white when they are applied to a white
        > background.
        >
        > However, if there were many people that would like this, I could get a
        > couple of clear sheets, and print several decal copies on them. By
        > adding 2 or 3 decals, placed one on top of the other, a suitable white
        > would result.
        >
        > Scott Brotherton
        >
        > On 4/30/2012 9:49 PM, bl_nevada wrote:
        > > Hi Scott, There is a reissue of the revelle 1/48 apollo spacecraft that has the CSM sitting on top of the SLA with a LEMinside& the escape tower on top of the CM, that was a hard to find kit& i got one through EBay 2 years ago. The new reissue has different decals which were not available with the original kit and these new decals are great EXCEPT, they do not have the curved "UNITED STATES with the flag which goes on the command module. The new decals are not curved and i believe they go on the service module in a block 2 placement. This kit is a block 1 and really looks nice with the old style decals. These curved decals are not available anywhere& I have them scanned on my computer and a member on another forum resized them& sent them back to me just in case the old decals for my kit have a problem due to their age when i attempt to place them on my command module. I am sure there are others who would like the original looking decals that came with the original issue kit from the 1970's-80's i have them on my computer if you are interested. I wouldn't mind having an extra set or two just in case i have problems with my originals.
        > > Bert
        > > model maker
        > >
        > > --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, Scott Brotherton<jsb_mla@> wrote:
        > >> It's me again,
        > >>
        > >> I am getting closer to the point of re-printing my Galex solar panel
        > >> decals. Awhile back I offered to print any small decals that you might
        > >> need. I have one person's decal in place on the sheet and am waiting to
        > >> hear if the second person has his files made yet. It is possible that I
        > >> will still have as much as half a sheet available. So, I am just
        > >> reminding everyone that, if you have any odds and ends that you might
        > >> like printed, please let me know.
        > >>
        > >> Scott Brotherton

      • bl_nevada
        Message 3 of 16 , May 1, 2012
          Gary, i did just that, i feared they would crack as soon as i tried to use them so i got some liquid decal film and brushed it over the decal sheet because i know these decals are not available anywhere, not even on the new release of this kit. I scanned them and a member of my other space board resized them & emailed them back to me, however i have never attempted to make my own decals & would not know how to do it. I do have a cannon inkjet printer don't know if that would work or not.
          Bert
          --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, gary gilmore <glgilmore@...> wrote:

          > Bert -
          >
          > Before you apply those old decals, you should give them a coat of 'decal film'. It's a clear liquid used to coat commercial decal film sheets after you print your decals using an ink-jet printer. That will prevent them from cracking into tiny little bits.
          >
          > Gary
          >

          > To: space-modelers@yahoogroups.com
          > From: bl-nevada@...
          > Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 01:49:47 +0000
          > Subject: [space-modelers] Re: Decal Offer
          >

          > Hi Scott, There is a reissue of the revelle 1/48 apollo spacecraft that has the CSM sitting on top of the SLA with a LEMinside & the escape tower on top of the CM, that was a hard to find kit & i got one through EBay 2 years ago. The new reissue has different decals which were not available with the original kit and these new decals are great EXCEPT, they do not have the curved "UNITED STATES with the flag which goes on the command module. The new decals are not curved and i believe they go on the service module in a block 2 placement. This kit is a block 1 and really looks nice with the old style decals. These curved decals are not available anywhere & I have them scanned on my computer and a member on another forum resized them & sent them back to me just in case the old decals for my kit have a problem due to their age when i attempt to place them on my command module. I am sure there are others who would like the original looking decals that came with the original issue kit from the 1970's-80's i have them on my computer if you are interested. I wouldn't mind having an extra set or two just in case i have problems with my originals.
          > Bert
          > model maker
          >
          > --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, Scott Brotherton <jsb_mla@> wrote:
          > >
          > > It's me again,
          > >
          > > I am getting closer to the point of re-printing my Galex solar panel
          > > decals. Awhile back I offered to print any small decals that you might
          > > need. I have one person's decal in place on the sheet and am waiting to
          > > hear if the second person has his files made yet. It is possible that I
          > > will still have as much as half a sheet available. So, I am just
          > > reminding everyone that, if you have any odds and ends that you might
          > > like printed, please let me know.
          > >
          > > Scott Brotherton

        • Scott Brotherton
          Message 4 of 16 , May 1, 2012
            Bert,

            I am sorry, for some reason I thought the CM would have been silver. If
            you are putting the decal on a white background, I think it should work
            fine. Send me your graphic file and I will look at including it on the
            sheet.

            Scott Brotherton

            On 5/1/2012 12:18 PM, bl_nevada wrote:
            > Scott ok , i see what you mean, the cm on this kit is gloss white with the decals having black lettering and an american flag. I thought maybe they would work with your decal sheet.
            > bert
            >
            > --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, Scott Brotherton<jsb_mla@...> wrote:
            >> Dear Bert,
            >>
            >> I would not mind, except for one major problem. In my original post I
            >> stated that the paper I use is White, not Clear. So, I do not see how
            >> the decal, you are asking about, would work with this. Also, I am
            >> printing on a Laser Printer, so a solid white can not be printed. The
            >> decals I can print are only white when they are applied to a white
            >> background.
            >>
            >> However, if there were many people that would like this, I could get a
            >> couple of clear sheets, and print several decal copies on them. By
            >> adding 2 or 3 decals, placed one on top of the other, a suitable white
            >> would result.
            >>
            >> Scott Brotherton

          • Mkrobel1
            Message 5 of 16 , May 2, 2012
              Actually, the Block I CSMs were gray.

              I am sorry, for some reason I thought the CM would have been silver. If
              ou are putting the decal on a white background, I think it should work
              ine. Send me your graphic file and I will look at including it on the
              heet.
              Scott Brotherton
              On 5/1/2012 12:18 PM, bl_nevada wrote:
              Scott ok , i see what you mean, the cm on this kit is gloss white with the
              ecals having black lettering and an american flag. I thought maybe they would
              ork with your decal sheet.
              bert

              --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, Scott Brotherton<jsb_mla@...> wrote:
              > Dear Bert,
              >
              > I would not mind, except for one major problem. In my original post I
              > stated that the paper I use is White, not Clear. So, I do not see how
              > the decal, you are asking about, would work with this. Also, I am
              > printing on a Laser Printer, so a solid white can not be printed. The
              > decals I can print are only white when they are applied to a white
              > background.
              >
              > However, if there were many people that would like this, I could get a
              > couple of clear sheets, and print several decal copies on them. By
              > adding 2 or 3 decals, placed one on top of the other, a suitable white
              > would result.
              >
              > Scott Brotherton

            • bl_nevada
              Message 6 of 16 , May 2, 2012
                Scott where do you want me to send the pictures of the decals ?
                Bert

                --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, Scott Brotherton <jsb_mla@...> wrote:

                > Bert,
                >
                > I am sorry, for some reason I thought the CM would have been silver. If
                > you are putting the decal on a white background, I think it should work
                > fine. Send me your graphic file and I will look at including it on the
                > sheet.
                >
                > Scott Brotherton
                >
                > On 5/1/2012 12:18 PM, bl_nevada wrote:
                > > Scott ok , i see what you mean, the cm on this kit is gloss white with the decals having black lettering and an american flag. I thought maybe they would work with your decal sheet.
                > > bert
                > >
                > > --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, Scott Brotherton<jsb_mla@> wrote:
                > >> Dear Bert,
                > >>
                > >> I would not mind, except for one major problem. In my original post I
                > >> stated that the paper I use is White, not Clear. So, I do not see how
                > >> the decal, you are asking about, would work with this. Also, I am
                > >> printing on a Laser Printer, so a solid white can not be printed. The
                > >> decals I can print are only white when they are applied to a white
                > >> background.
                > >>
                > >> However, if there were many people that would like this, I could get a
                > >> couple of clear sheets, and print several decal copies on them. By
                > >> adding 2 or 3 decals, placed one on top of the other, a suitable white
                > >> would result.
                > >>
                > >> Scott Brotherton

              • bl_nevada
                Message 7 of 16 , May 2, 2012
                  Scott, I am leavng the CM white but painted the srvice module bare metal silver with white radiator panels in the block 1 confiquration. The kit has the escape tower and by having the CM white, it has the "look" of the boost protect cover with the escape tower attached. I have the pictures i can send you, just need an email address to send them.
                  Bert

                  --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, Scott Brotherton <jsb_mla@...> wrote:

                  > Bert,
                  >
                  > I am sorry, for some reason I thought the CM would have been silver. If
                  > you are putting the decal on a white background, I think it should work
                  > fine. Send me your graphic file and I will look at including it on the
                  > sheet.
                  >
                  > Scott Brotherton
                  >
                  > On 5/1/2012 12:18 PM, bl_nevada wrote:
                  > > Scott ok , i see what you mean, the cm on this kit is gloss white with the decals having black lettering and an american flag. I thought maybe they would work with your decal sheet.
                  > > bert
                  > >
                  > > --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, Scott Brotherton<jsb_mla@> wrote:
                  > >> Dear Bert,
                  > >>
                  > >> I would not mind, except for one major problem. In my original post I
                  > >> stated that the paper I use is White, not Clear. So, I do not see how
                  > >> the decal, you are asking about, would work with this. Also, I am
                  > >> printing on a Laser Printer, so a solid white can not be printed. The
                  > >> decals I can print are only white when they are applied to a white
                  > >> background.
                  > >>
                  > >> However, if there were many people that would like this, I could get a
                  > >> couple of clear sheets, and print several decal copies on them. By
                  > >> adding 2 or 3 decals, placed one on top of the other, a suitable white
                  > >> would result.
                  > >>
                  > >> Scott Brotherton

                • Scott Brotherton
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 7, 2012
                    Hello All,

                    As you have probably noted, Bert asked me to make some 1/48th scale
                    United States with flag decals in the curved style so he could use then
                    on a Block I build (if I remember correctly). If any one else would
                    like some of these, please let me know. I can scale them down if you
                    would like to make a smaller model.

                    I still have some area to fill on the sheet, so if anyone else has
                    something, please let me know.

                    Scott Brotherton