Jupiter Flower Petals?

  • Carl
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2011
      I have several pictures of a Jupiter on the launch pad that shows an enclosure that opens and closes like petals of a flower. What exactly is the function of these?

      I posted some pictures in the photo section under the same title as this post.

      Thanks,
      Carl-
    • Schorry, Robert E.
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2011
        I believe those are "all weather" enclosures for the Jupiter as an IRBM.

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2011
          Carl-

          It was called a petal shelter.  It was used to protect the aft end and engine
          area from the weather while the missile was sitting alert on the pad. You have
          to remember these missiles would have to set outdoors at sites in Europe where
          the weather is not as mild as Florida.  It also provided protection for
          maintenance crews during inspection or repair.  It could be opened quickly prior
          to launch, or I think it was possible to launch the missile with it still
          erected.  Of course you would probably loose the shelter during launch, but
          considering the circumstances in which you would launch a Jupiter operationally,
          saving the shelter was probably not a big concern.

          -Bill

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2011
            Bill,

            Those being a weather shelter is what I was thinking, just wasn't sure. One thing I didn't think, was that there would be room for support personnel when closed. It looked a little tight I thought. But, trying to judge scale in a thumbnail picture is difficult at best with no other scale reference compared to an average 6' chap! That's interesting.

            And yes, who would care about loosing the "petals" at launch in the event of war. Worse things would be taking place for sure. Like....ruuuuunnnn!

            Thanks for the info,