Re: [space-modelers] Re: Round 2 article- Building the Pilgrim Observer

  • Mkrobel1
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 1, 2011
      Mark,

      There were actually several proposals for SRBs for the Saturn V. The most considered were 5 or 7 segment Titan III SRMs. There was some consideration for 156 or even 260 inch diameter solids as well as 260 inch LRBs with 1 or 2 F-1s.

      Mike

      From: john_braungart
      ubject: Re: Round 2 article- Building the Pilgrim Observer

      According to MegaHobbies, it hasn't yet. I'll be going to my local brick 'n'
      ortar on the second Tuesday (after my retiree's breakfast, weather
      ermitting) and hopefully it'll be in then. I hope to get a couple; one open
      nd one for launch configuration.

    • Mkrobel1
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 1, 2011
        I just added an album called Saturn V Varients with photos of my two builds of Saturn Vs with SRBs and LRBs.

        There were actually several proposals for SRBs for the Saturn V. The most
        onsidered were 5 or 7 segment Titan III SRMs. There was some consideration for
        56 or even 260 inch diameter solids as well as 260 inch LRBs with 1 or 2 F-1s.
        Mike

        ubject: [space-modelers] Re: Round 2 article- Building the Pilgrim Observer

[...]
        uttle.)
        ) Launch Vehicle: The booklet says it would have been an augmented
        turn V, so I'm basing mine on one such proposal found on the astronautix
        te, which has 4 SRBs very similar to what got built for the shuttle -
        sically same dia., but shorter by (conveniently) about 1 segment (as well
        the aft skirt). Because boosters are "handed" in terms of how they mount
        the ET, I had to round up 4 Shuttle stacks to scrounge 1 SRB from each.
        m using the Revell versions because (a) the Airfix SRBs are better, so I'd
        ther use them on Shuttle stacks than chop them up, & (B) I've found that
        e Revell SRBs better lend themselves to the kind of segmenting required
        r this modification. I am, however, using the Airfix nozzles, which have
        eater depth - a consideration when they're canted outwards - & their
        unts, which lack the "donuts".
        ) Windows: If you're familiar with "googly eyes" that are sold in
        aft stores (& if you're not, then - dare I say it - just "Google" them),
        ve discovered that there is one size of these that is so perfect for
        placing the round windows in one rotating arm that you'd swear they were
        de for the kit. The vertical edges have exactly the right depth to allow
        e domes to project nicely from the openings, giving you clear windows
        nce you've removed the white backing, of course), & the possibility of
        ding interior detail, like a hydroponic farm. Larger sizes can also be
        ed to replace the windows in the "Main Control Center". (Anyone who has
        e Atomic City 2001 EVA pod knows that some very large googly eyes are
        cluded in that kit to be used for the lenses on the pod lights.)
        ood luck with your Pilgrim LV, John. I look forward to hearing about it.
        ark Wright

        rom: john_braungart
        bject: Re: Round 2 article- Building the Pilgrim Observer

        ccording to MegaHobbies, it hasn't yet. I'll be going to my local brick 'n'
        rtar on the second Tuesday (after my retiree's breakfast, weather
        rmitting) and hopefully it'll be in then. I hope to get a couple; one open
        d one for launch configuration.

      • john_braungart
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 1, 2011
          --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Wright" <mew2001@...> wrote:

          > Hey, John, would that LHS be the ACE man? (If so, tell him I
          > said "HI", & I'll see him - & maybe you this time around - at
          > Buffcon.)

          No, my usual is Niagara down in Cheektowaga (nearer to where we hold BufCon) because it's on the way home from the Retirement Breakfast restaurant. I only get up to Ace's a few times a year, usually when my wife wants to go up to the Outlet Mall.