Re: ANS (Was: Spitzer Space Telescope diameter).

  • klomperoiquip
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 28, 2010
      Hello all,

      The honeycomb structure of the ANS solar panels was exactly 10 millimeters thick. It was covered on both sides with a face sheeting exactly 1 millimeter thick. So, thickness of the core panel is 12 millimeters. However, the solar cells themselves are applied on top of the front face sheeting, and are 3 mm thick themselves. On each corner of the front face sheet is also a hook-shaped 4 mm thick connecting strip. Four of those hold the four U-shaped edge profiles together. So, basically, the ANS solar panels consist a frame of four connected U-shaped profiles. The empty space in between is filled with a honeycomb structure. Face sheeting rests on both sides of this. The front sheeting holds the solar cells. All attachment points (for items such as the hinges and launch-locks) are found on the aft face sheet. The attachment point of the lower hinge uses a rather thick strenghtening plate to attach to the panel. After all, most of the weight of the panel would bear down on this hinge in 1 G, and the elevated G climate during launch.

      Regards,
      Ronald