Has any ever used the 'Chopper' III?

  • hal9001cm51
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2009
      What I like'd to know is if anyone in the group has, or has used, the 'The Chopper III', or the 'The Chopper' 1 or 2 for that matter.

      Any help where would be greatly appreciated.

      Carl-
    • RealSpaceModels
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2009
        Carl -

        I have the Chopper 2 and it really is a joy to use. It's not perfect, but it
        does a lot of stuff faster than cutting with a hobby knife and a ruler. I
        think the "3" might just be a bit larger. I haven't looked at it closely.
        But they are worth the money.

        Glenn

        www.realspacemodels.com

        > What I like'd to know is if anyone in the group has, or has used, the 'The
        > Chopper III', or the 'The Chopper' 1 or 2 for that matter.
        >
        > Any help where would be greatly appreciated.
        >
        > Carl-

      • Jock deBoer, AIA
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 1, 2009
          I had and probably still have the chopper from back when I was in
          architecture school. Excellent products.

          Sincerely,

          Jock deBoer AIA NCARB

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 1, 2009
            I too have the Chopper II. It works very well for thing materials 0.030
            inch (.75 mm) or so. As you get into thicker stuff, the blade and arm
            twists and bends **sideways, giving an angled cut (non-square) to the
            workpiece. You can set up one of the included stops (which are for
            angled or square cuts) and cut off many pieces to the same size. I wish
            they used fine blanking on those stops and made the corners square, as
            they are round and really thin stuff gets stuck under them.

            One thing to remember is that with the straight razor blade exposed, you
            will be sticking a finger or thumb under it to remove or place plastic
            stock. Use care and keep Band-Aids handy.

            Rob

            ** If the arm had greater moment of inertia or was made of steel the arm
            deflection could be a lot less (says the engineer).

          • laxet@ca.rr.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 1, 2009
              I guess I'm the only one not enamored with this product. In fact, just this week, I posted an inquiry on rec.models.scale about a possible replacement's quality (from MicroMark, for half the price). It appears they all suffer from the same problem, which is a flexible single edge razor blade. I'm building a wooden ship model & am planking it right now. I'm cutting 1/32" x 1/8" planks & about half of them are not square. I like that I can duplicate cuts, but I wish they were consistently square. As the plank gets thicker, it starts to cut unsquare in two planes. It's good for rough cutting (& it's probably worth the money just for that), but I can't do finish cuts with it. If you know this going in, then you can decide whether it is worth the irritation & won't dislike the product like I do.

              ---- hal9001cm51 <hal9001cm51@...> wrote:
              > What I like'd to know is if anyone in the group has, or has used, the 'The Chopper III', or the 'The Chopper' 1 or 2 for that matter.
              >
              > Any help where would be greatly appreciated.
              >
              > Carl-

              Dale G Elhardt
              Cypress Ca
              If you love something, let it go… unless you're in love with a helium balloon. Those things don't come back, you know.
              http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=7702
            • chris.southgate
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 1, 2009
                I have not used this devise, however if you are removing stuff from under a bare blade, try a brush. Or you could blow it in the maner of Steed in the Avengers.

                Chris

                --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, "Schorry, Robert E." <Robert.Schorry@...> wrote:

                > One thing to remember is that with the straight razor blade exposed, you
                > will be sticking a finger or thumb under it to remove or place plastic
                > stock. Use care and keep Band-Aids handy.
                >
                > Rob
                >

                > > Carl

              • Michael Holt
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 1, 2009
                  chris.southgate wrote:

                  >I have not used this devise, however if you are removing stuff from under a bare blade, try a brush. Or you could blow it in the maner of Steed in the Avengers.

                  Which episode? I have all the Diana Rigg episodes.

                  Mike

                  --
                  Every time someone says "Happy Holidays," an elf is eviscerated.
                • Schorry, Robert E.
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 1, 2009
                    Your ship planks being wood may require sawing, rather than chopping...

                    I guess I'm the only one not enamored with this product. In fact, just
                    this week, I posted an inquiry on rec.models.scale about a possible
                    replacement's quality (from MicroMark, for half the price). It appears
                    they all suffer from the same problem, which is a flexible single edge
                    razor blade. I'm building a wooden ship model & am planking it right
                    now. I'm cutting 1/32" x 1/8" planks & about half of them are not
                    square. I like that I can duplicate cuts, but I wish they were
                    consistently square. As the plank gets thicker, it starts to cut
                    unsquare in two planes. It's good for rough cutting (& it's probably
                    worth the money just for that), but I can't do finish cuts with it. If
                    you know this going in, then you can decide whether it is worth the
                    irritation & won't dislike the product like I do.

                    ---- hal9001cm51 <hal9001cm51@...> wrote:
                    > What I like'd to know is if anyone in the group has, or has used, the
                    'The Chopper III', or the 'The Chopper' 1 or 2 for that matter.

                    > Any help where would be greatly appreciated.
                    >
                    > Carl-

                  • Michael Holt
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 1, 2009
                      chris.southgate wrote:

                      > I have not used this devise, however if you are removing stuff from under a bare blade, try a brush. Or you could blow it in the maner of Steed in the Avengers.

                      Never mind. It was "A Touch of Brimstone," 1966. Ah, the good
                      old days....

                      Mike

                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 1, 2009
                        I found when cutting thicker pieces that if you use the blade to score each side, it was then easy to cut all the way through in a straight cut. I used it on plastic and bass wood with no problems. They also make one for sanding square or exact angles.

                        Sincerely,

                        Jock deBoer AIA NCARB

                        deBoer Architects

                        835 Bard Ave

                        Staten Island, NY 10301

                        718-354-7926

                        917-591-2727 fax

                        <http://www.jockdeboer.com> www.jockdeboer.com

                        Registered in DC FL NJ NY & PA

                        Nationally Certified by NCARB

                        ---- hal9001cm51 <hal9001cm51@... <mailto:hal9001cm51%40yahoo.com> > wrote:
                        > What I like'd to know is if anyone in the group has, or has used, the 'The Chopper III', or the 'The Chopper' 1 or 2 for that matter.
                        >
                        > Any help where would be greatly appreciated.
                        >
                        > Carl-

                        Dale G Elhardt
                        Cypress Ca
                        If you love something, let it go… unless you're in love with a helium balloon. Those things don't come back, you know.
                        http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=7702

                      • Carl Moss
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 1, 2009
                           I'll use this to gang thank everyone for their input. Looks like Santa will have to stop by Spruebrothers on his way to my house.

                          As common sense dictates, I didn't expect it would chop through very thick styrene stock with just a simple inexpensive one sided blade. But from what I've been told here it looks like it will do just what I need. Plus the blades are cheap enough to keep a sharp one in place all the times.

                          I would think too that it would have a harder time with balsa because of the tendency to 'pinch' as much as cut, thus giving a tapered end.

                          Thanks again,

                          ------------ --------- --------- --------- ----
                          > What I like'd to know is if anyone in the group has, or has used, the 'The
                          > Chopper III', or the 'The Chopper' 1 or 2 for that matter.
                          >
                          > Any help where would be greatly appreciated.
                          >
                          > Carl-

                        • Richard B.
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 1, 2009
                            Yes, a good sharp blade is the main thing you got to have for this to work right.  Grab name brand blades.  I went to a Harbor Freight and bought a box of 100 'No Names' and they were not worth the price paid.  A couple of cuts and had to change while cutting 1/16th basswood.  Another thing to look at is the angle of the blades edge.  Have the straight edge on the side of the material cut for a straight up down edge.  The piece cut off will be at an angle if not a pinch look.  Of course you will have to trim it square for the next cut.

                            Richard B. down in Texas
                            'Onward, thru the fog'
                            http://www.freewebs.com/richrocket/index.htm