Re: [space-modelers] Soyuz TMA Completed

  • soyuztm@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1 3:39 AM
      Keith:
      Superb work!
      What a fantastic model, the pictures are stunning. How did you attach the
      rust/orange striping of fabric near the instrument panel? I love the
      umbilical lines and periscope!
      Can anyone answer what the different orange fabric actually is on the
      real Soyuz?
      Regards and thanks for the pictures!
      Tim Vigorito
      Steps!
      (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222377040x1201454360/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=Jun
      eExcfooterNO62)

    • Keith McNeill
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1 5:37 AM
        Thanks very much for the comments, guys. Very much appreciated.

        > How did you attach the
        >rust/orange striping of fabric near the instrument panel? I love the
        >umbilical lines and periscope!

        Tim, I originally used painted self adhesive Letraline, but that seem a
        bit too thick, and in removing that I removed the paint so had to start
        over. I just painted some decal film and cut it into strips for the
        second attempt.

        Being that it's 1/30, did you do a conversion form the old Ogonyek kit from Russia? Or did you scratch it? I've never seen a kit of this so if you did convert it or scratch it...

        Carl, It is the old Ogonyek kit which I was going to convert to ASTP,
        but reckoned I would get more mileage with the photos, if I did a TMA
        version (which I prefer anyway). Although the basic kit is there, every
        module needed revamped so much you could almost consider it a
        scratchbuild as even the basic shapes needed changing (I'd have been
        quicker just using a tube for the service module as I had to cover all
        the recessed and raised detail and make a new flared section). The kit
        had been sitting in my attic for years.

        Glad you liked the blankets. I tried several methods, but ended up using
        my old trusted method of laying down Polyfilla and sculpting the
        details. Unfortunately after so many coats of paint, etc, the creases
        are somewhat more subdued than I intended.

        Tell me what color or color mix did you use

        Steve, I'm afraid I'm going to be a bit vague about this, as I tend to
        mix as I go along until I arrive at a colour I liked. I used the remains
        of the mix from the Soyuz TMA launch vehicle I did 6 months ago and
        should have had enough. With all the repaints and fixing problems I just
        ran out and had to mix more and that was so difficult. Obviously black
        and white and some green, mainly Humbrol 118 I think. It's actually a
        bit too green and could do with some yellow I think, but like the
        Russian grey/green colour they use, it changes colour with different
        angles of light. It should be nearer grey, but I've been trying to get
        it to match photos, which tend to veer towards a greenish colour. The
        flash made it look very green, but I'm glad to say when I photographed
        it under the Photoflood, it toned the green down without any Photoshop
        intervention in the majority of the photos.

        I'm trying to find a previous photo of the ISS model to compose a photo
        of the Soyuz approaching, just to see what it is like, but as updating
        the station is next on my list, I can take proper composed ones then.

        Keith

      • sandy55961@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1 12:49 PM
          Thanks Keith,