Re: [space-modelers] An ugly paint problem

  • larry wolfe
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
      David,
      Have you thought about using some automotive rubbing compound (with a light touch) or one of the polishing kits used by car modellers to buff out the paint finish?  If you're careful you should be able to remove the purple and leave the basecoat.
       Buddy
      If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough- M. Andretti

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
        I've occasionally done the same thing to warm up a can of spray paint, but I
        never walked away from it. Bummer, Dave!

      • JMChladek@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
          Hmmm, did you hear a weird voice saying..."This is the voice of the
          Mysterons..." when this happened? Or did you play any Hendrix (Purple Haze) after
          that? ;)

          One thing you might try is to get some of the paint polishing sanding cloths
          that car modelers use and carefully polish the paint on the model. The
          theory being that you might be able to sand off the purple haze without harming
          the colors underneath too much. The cloths might not be able to reach into some
          tight spots, so those would probably need to be repainted. If you use some of
          the middle numbered cloths, they usually do the job and don't sand through
          the base coat far enough to wear completely through it. If this does work,
          one benefit is the surface of the model will be a little glossier for decal
          application.

          Jay Chladek

          In a message dated 11/30/2008 10:22:05 P.M. Central Standard Time,
          derbas@... writes:

          This question relates to model rockets and paint, but I'm hoping someone
          in the group can help (and it's on topic, I think)...

          Some of you may be aware of the Estes Mars Lander that was available
          back in the sixties/seventies. These days, it is considered a
          collectors item, and they go for several hundred on ebay. There are a
          few recent 'clone' kits that have been made available, some of very high
          quality, and on of these is a kit by Semroc -- it's a WONDERFUL clone of
          the old kit for those of us that remember it.

          I took great care in building up the kit, did some of my own
          enhancements to it, and carefully painted it (with Krylon) in the
          designated colors, then set it aside to await the decal placement. It
          sat on the workbench for more than a month, and then...

          I eventually had another item that I wanted to paint, using a 'purplish'
          Krylon Fusion (plastic-adhering) paint. But, the temperature in the
          garage was in the forties, so I thought it best to 'warm up' the paint a
          bit first. I placed the can of paint about a foot away (but off to the
          side) of a ceramic space heater, thinking that there was only a very
          slight 'heat leakage' at the location that I placed it (it certainly
          didn't SEEM very warm at that point). I had (unfortunately) taken the
          lid off of the paint, and then went away for a couple of hours.

          So...

          You can guess what happened...

          I came back a few hours later, as the last of the purplish mist was
          exiting the can of paint. and everything in that 'general direction' was
          bright purple...

          Now, the good news is that the paint apparently spread far enough that
          the droplets had dried by the time they hit anything (with the exception
          of the mouse pad that was immediately in front of the can about two
          feet), so it just took a few hours with a vacuum cleaner to get the vast
          majority of the mess cleaned up. HOWEVER, the Mars Lander was left with
          a very light 'dusting' of the purple paint powder.

          I'm looking for any suggestions as to the best method to (hopefully)
          recover the rocket's paint job without damaging it. Please refrain from
          laughing while replying...

          David Erbas-White

          AOL.com.

        • Michelle Evans
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 1, 2008
            Semroc also has the classic Estes Orbital Transport, still one of my
            all-time favorite model rocket kits. Definitely have to pick that one
            up. As for the Little Joe II, I just wish someone would get off their
            butts and do a proper recreation of the Centuri large Little Joe II.
            Now that was a work of art. I wish mine was in better shape, but after
            a few hard flights about 37 years ago, it is a bit worse for wear.
            Still looks great on the shelf, though.

            Michelle

            --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, David Erbas-White <derbas@...>
            wrote:

            > They've also got great remakes of classics like the Little Joe II, and
            > the Saturn 1B. Take a look, they're really great kits! (I have no
            > association with Semroc other than as an extremely satisfied customer).
            >
            > David Erbas-White
          • Kev K
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 3, 2008
              FWIW I use Strip A Kit. Non toxic, no smell, biodegradable and gentle enuff
              not to ruin the rest of your model
              http://www.hangar3.com/sak.htm

              Kev K
              ~ ~ ~