[space-modelers] SMOKIN - *Very* General Question

  • Justin.Wigg@dpiwe.tas.gov.au
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 1999
      Hi Gang,

      OK, I'm going to have to ask a potentially really stupid question here... Are
      those of us participating in the SMOKIN project meant to be building now? I
      think I may have misunderstood the basic concepts of the way the project will
      work.

      I was excepting some kind of timetable to be posted regularly to the group by a
      master builder with explanations of each of the steps involved, with members
      posting enquiries as we executed the steps. For example:

      ====
      Day One: Service Module

      Step 1: Having washed the parts in soapy water and allowing them to dry, take
      an Exacto knife and cleanly remove each of the parts from the sprues.
      Step 2: blah blah blah blah blah blah blah...
      ====

      Is that the *not* the way this will happen? It seems that everyone is building
      to their own plans and just posting a question or two as they go along. If
      that's the way the project runs then I'd better get my tail into gear!

      Thanks for bearing with me...
      --
      The trouble with common sense | Justin Wigg - Hobart, AUSTRALIA
      is that it's not very common. | Reply: justin.wigg@...
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 1999
        Re: [space-modelers] SMOKIN - *Very* General Question Justin-
        What you described would be the *ideal* method, and I still look forward to hearing from some experienced builders who could offer advice on painting, detailing and the like.  But right now everyone should be in the building and assembly phase.
        --
        Jim Gerard                           Merritt Island, Florida
        Visit these sites!

        ----------
        From: Justin.Wigg@...
        To: space-modelers@egroups.com
        Subject: [space-modelers] SMOKIN - *Very* General Question
        Date: Wed, Sep 1, 1999, 3:18 AM

[...]

        Click Here!

        eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/space-modelers
        www.egroups.com <http://www.egroups.com>  - Simplifying group communications

      • Steve Rogers
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 1999
          At 05:18 PM 09/01/1999 +1000, you wrote:

          > OK, I'm going to have to ask a potentially really stupid question here... Are
          > those of us participating in the SMOKIN project meant to be building now? . . .

          I was thinking the same thing ( Step 1: do blah-blah from the instructions, but
          don't do yada-yada, and be sure to perform the expert trick: do-de-do-da)

          I didn't say anything because I didn't want to be the only person on the first
          day of class who doesn't have a clue, but now that there's two of us, its OK ;)

          Steve
        • Sandy55961@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 1, 1999
            Make that 3.
            steve
          • Randolf Keith
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 1, 1999
              As an initiate in the Space Model building experience I expected something very similar... after all this is a historic moment/event in Space-modeler history.  But, considering the highly independent characters involved I should have expected this to become a space-race similar to the US/USSR thingy.  The PROs appear to be attaining orbit while many of us (me anyways) are still on the launch pad with a DUH look glazing our eyes.

              I have made it this far...

              LET'S GET SMOKIN!

              Are you ready to participate in a little bit of history?  Over the next three weeks over thirty people
              from all over the world will be part of the Space Modelers On-line Kitbuild Instruction Network.
               If you have not already purchased the kit, the Revell Apollo-Soyuz  1/96 kit, there is still time to
              do so and jump in.  We will take our time to allow for varied work schedules and the wide range
              of experience we have.

              To get ready, let's go over some protocol.  This is an instructional project with the intent to have
              modeling techniques and tips transfer from master builders to those just beginning.  Any questions
              are encouraged, and multiple answers expected.  It would be great to find five different ways to
              apply a pro paint job!  My job will be as a facilitator: to keep the group on task and proceeding
              toward or completion in three weeks.  I do not anticipate taking on the role as expert and
              instructor - we have several out there who will be able to do that collectively.  And what we are
              really looking for is the "Hey guys (gender neutrality implied), I did this and it looks great!" from
              one of you beginners.

              To make it easier, I have a cyber-suggestion for all.  When you contribute to the project, place
              SMOKIN first on your subject line.  Make a new mail folder entitled SMOKIN and use filters to
              place all new messages in that folder.  This will keep it separate from the rest of the Space
              Modelers e-mail.  And please - no images over the e-mail.  FTP them to Sven's site (see the old
              e-mail on that) and just post the URL of the page for everybody.

              So here is how we will start - with some real basic basics:  tools and preparation.
              Make sure you have a supply of glue: plastic tube, plastic bottle, and CA (I like Zap-A-Gap).
              Sharp knife,  cutting snips, and scissors will help in cutting.  Rubber bands, clothespins, masking
              and scotch tape to hold glued parts together.  You will need a workplace to do the build and
              where it can sit over the next couple of weeks.  Cover the workplace with a protective sheet of
              newspaper or old wrapping paper (less likely to smear newsprint).  Open the kit and read through
              the entire set of instructions.  I like to use a waterproof marker (Sharpie) and number the pieces
              before they come off the sprue.  Wash the parts sprues in mild soapy water to get the mold release
              off,  and set on paper towels to dry.

              Questions: Other tools we need?  Anticipation of extra material to use?  What do those building
              the Real Space resin kit need to do?  What other tips to get set and prepare for building?

              We will according to the directions in the kit:  CM, SM, DM, and Soyuz.

              I look forward to seeing the posts!
              --
              Jim Gerard                           Merritt Island, Florida

              What's next?

              Ad Astra
              Randy

              Justin.Wigg@... wrote:

[...]

              Start with up to 150 Points for joining!
              http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/805

              eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/space-modelers

            • Prof Wm Douglas Withers
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 1, 1999
                On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Randolf Keith wrote:

                > As an initiate in the Space Model building experience I expected something very
                > similar... after all this is a historic moment/event in Space-modeler history.
                > But, considering the highly independent characters involved I should have expected
                > this to become a space-race similar to the US/USSR thingy. The PROs appear to be
                > attaining orbit while many of us (me anyways) are still on the launch pad with a
                > DUH look glazing our eyes.
                >
                > I have made it this far...

                Very apt metaphor. I think there was a schedule posted at one time which
                allocated several weeks for the CM and SM together, so I think being about
                25% done on the CSM puts me about on track...

                When I joined the list it immediately became apparent that I was
                completely outclassed both in modeling skill and space-program knowledge
                (neither of which was really a surprise). I had already bought the ASTP
                kit. Just think--I might have put the thing together, blissfully unaware
                that I had a Block I CSM instead of a Block II. (By the way, did I mention
                that I hate all of you? :)

                So I certainly don't feel comfortable posting instructions or even advice.
                All I can say is "This is what I'm doing... here was the result." My
                attitude in posting is generally "if I did this, any of you can the same."
                I try to include enough details so anyone else could reproduce what I did
                (although I expect every two models will be different). I don't include
                things which I expect everyone has heard before (wash the pieces in soap
                and water, don't breathe glue fumes, etc.), but if I overlook an essential
                detail, the fault is mine, not yours. I tend to follow Peppermint Patty's
                dictum: when informed that she should use footnotes in her school papers
                to explain anything that's not common knowledge, she said "I'll be all
                right, then. I don't know anything that's not common knowedge." But I'll
                be happy to fill in more details on any step.

                By the way, although my expectations were about the same as yours to begin
                with, I find I am really enjoying this. This is my first experience with
                resin. I feel like I've broken a barrier.

                I don't own or use any expensive tools. I don't even have an airbrush.

                Now, pet peeves about master modelers:

                1. Comments such as the following: "The Framboozle module is completely
                inaccurate. Throw it away and scratch-build a new one."

                2. Why do the experts always seem to start by sanding the detail off every
                part and then rescribing it?

                3. More than what the experts do, it's the speed with which they do it
                that I find shocking. A typical kit requires months for me to complete.

                I spent the evening writing email rather than actually working on the kit.
                But I want to put at least one piece of foil on...

                Get to work...
                Els
              • Karl D. Dodenhoff
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 1, 1999
                  > 3. More than what the experts do, it's the speed with which they do it
                  > that I find shocking. A typical kit requires months for me to complete.

                  DEFINITELY don't count me as an expert then. I am lucky if I finish 2
                  or 3 kits a year!

                  Karl
                • Sven_Knudson/DTM@dtm-corp.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 2, 1999

                    >> 3. More than what the experts do, it's the speed with which they do it
                    >> that I find shocking. A typical kit requires months for me to complete.
                    >
                    >DEFINITELY don't count me as an expert then. I am lucky if I finish 2
                    >or 3 kits a year!

                    Luxury! I'm doing very well to finish one kit every two or three years!
                    Sven Knudson |
                    sven@... | Murphy was an optimist...
                    http://www.ninfinger.org/ |
                  • JasDuffy@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 2, 1999
                      In a message dated 9/2/99 8:15:28 AM, Sven_Knudson/DTM@... writes:

                      <<Luxury! I'm doing very well to finish one kit every two or three years!>>

                      Sven, if that's your pace, then you're set for the next several millenia...

                      James