Re: LM

  • pete.k2graphics
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 1, 2008
      Hi Thorsten. I completed an Apollo 15 LM (1/48) a year ago, and I've posted photos of it in
      the Photos section. The New Ware set wasn't available so all the little details were scratch
      built. ( and it was the first model I built in over 30 years!! ;-)

      In addition to the Space in Miniature book, the photos of the actual LM on the Apollo Lunar
      Surface Journal site, were comprehensive and invaluable.

      You'll spend a lot of time comparing the LMs to seek the various differences among them ...
      but, as in my case, it was time well spent.

      Pete
    • dave_gianakos
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 1, 2008
        --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, "pete.k2graphics"
        <pete.k2graphics@...> wrote:

        > Hi Thorsten. I completed an Apollo 15 LM (1/48) a year ago, and
        I've posted photos of it in
        > the Photos section. The New Ware set wasn't available so all the
        little details were scratch
        > built. ( and it was the first model I built in over 30 years!! ;-)
        >
        > In addition to the Space in Miniature book, the photos of the
        actual LM on the Apollo Lunar
        > Surface Journal site, were comprehensive and invaluable.
        >
        > You'll spend a lot of time comparing the LMs to seek the various
        differences among them ...
        > but, as in my case, it was time well spent.
        >
        > Pete

        In adding to Pete's comments (and Pete, that is a beautiful rendition
        of Apollo 15; I have it on my favorites for reference) extensive use
        of actual photos is also important. No matter how good the drawing,
        it is always possible (probable) that some small details have either
        been left out, or are not quite as shown on the actual spacecraft.
        These days with the internet and other great sources for information,
        it is much easier and better to get the info you need to make your
        model as accurate as you want it to be. And, also on line are
        wonderful NASA documents previously only available at libraries or
        other venues.

        DaveG

      • thorstenbrand
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 1, 2008
          --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, "dave_gianakos"
          <dave_gianakos@...> wrote:

          > In adding to Pete's comments (and Pete, that is a beautiful
          rendition
          > of Apollo 15; I have it on my favorites for reference) extensive
          use
          > of actual photos is also important. No matter how good the drawing,
          > it is always possible (probable) that some small details have
          either
          > been left out, or are not quite as shown on the actual spacecraft.

          Hmm.. the more I think about it, the more I guess it'll be one of
          these never-ending-stories! The apollo spacecrafts seem to have
          something very strange what makes it very hard to get an accurate
          model of it.

          > These days with the internet and other great sources for
          information,
          > it is much easier and better to get the info you need to make your
          > model as accurate as you want it to be. And, also on line are
          > wonderful NASA documents previously only available at libraries or
          > other venues.

          That's definately true! For example all the Mercury-, Gemini and
          Apollo Handbooks which give very detailed informations about the
          vehicles. The biggest problem in my eyes is to find the things you
          need (Most of the information always came when I didn't need it any
          more!).
          So it's a great luck having found this place!

          Thorsten
        • Karl D Dodenhoff
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 1, 2008
            I echo what the other guys have already said - Mike's LM SIM book is a great
            resource - another "must have" on your reference shelf. If you have the $$
            and you're going to order the LM book, I'd recommend that you go ahead and
            order all of them!

            The really major differences in the J-Series LMs (Apollos 15, 16, & 17) vs
            the earlier ones were mostly in the Descent Stage (DS). Different types of
            foil were used, the DPS engine bell was made bigger, and 3 of the 4 DS
            storage bays (Quads) were changed extensively to house the Rover, in Quad 1,
            extra scientific equipment in Quad 3 and the bigger MESA in Quad 4. I've
            tried to document many of these changes on my site. Here's a couple of
            links:

            http://www.myspacemuseum.com/lmdiags.htm#Quads

            http://www.myspacemuseum.com/q3.htm

            http://www.myspacemuseum.com/mesa.htm

            (k)

          • thorstenbrand
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 1, 2008
              --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, "Karl D Dodenhoff"
              <thedude@...> wrote:

              > I echo what the other guys have already said - Mike's LM SIM book
              is a great
              > resource - another "must have" on your reference shelf. If you
              have the $$
              > and you're going to order the LM book, I'd recommend that you go
              ahead and
              > order all of them!

              I really thought about ordering more than one (LM, CSM, Soviet...)
              but it will depend on my wallet (Have to pay another book concerning
              voyager (called "voyager's grand tour"- please don't tell me it's
              bad :)) which should be coming the next week).
              One Question to the drawings: Are they enough for scratchbuilding the
              vehicles? (That would mean ideally 6-side-drawings)
              And the reprints: what quality are they?

              > The really major differences in the J-Series LMs (Apollos 15, 16, &
              17) vs
              > the earlier ones were mostly in the Descent Stage (DS). Different
              types of
              > foil were used, the DPS engine bell was made bigger, and 3 of the 4
              DS
              > storage bays (Quads) were changed extensively to house the Rover,
              in Quad 1,
              > extra scientific equipment in Quad 3 and the bigger MESA in Quad
              4. I've
              > tried to document many of these changes on my site. Here's a
              couple of
              > links:
              >

              > http://www.myspacemuseum.com/lmdiags.htm#Quads
              >
              > http://www.myspacemuseum.com/q3.htm
              >
              > http://www.myspacemuseum.com/mesa.htm

              Great site, great photos! Found it 3 hours before you posted this
              mail by myself (after several hours of research):)

              Thorsten
            • pete.k2graphics
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 2, 2008
                Thorsten, I have an extra LM SIM book that Mr Mackowski sent me that I'd be happy to send
                to you.

                Contact me at ..... pete.k2@...

                Give me your mailing address and I'll send this along to you, no charge.

                Pete

                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 2, 2008
                  let's try this again, WITH the email address ;-D