Re: Sojourner mars rover

  • lucassioli
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2008
      Thanks guys.
      I also found an unexpected solution: Google Sketchup!
      I found Sketchup models for both Sojourner and Spirit.

      Sojourner:
      http://sketchup.google.it/3dwarehouse/details?
      mid=52454f22f6127daaba029b7306e6479b

      Spirit:
      http://sketchup.google.it/3dwarehouse/details?
      mid=9f1021ec701fd96dc82b8fee1057b30&prevstart=0

      So I can examine them in great detail!

      I was also able to import Sojourner model into Flex Studio 2.1, a 3d
      editor which allows viewing isometric views rather than perspective
      views, thus allowing exactly measuring each part of the model.

      Unfortunately, I am not able to properly import Spirit model into the
      program, only solar panel appear!

      I also found a VRML model of Spirit:
      http://mer3d.free.fr/3d/mer3dInstrumentation.php

      But, again, I am not able to import it into Flex Studio (or any other
      3d program), so I can't properly examine it. It's not strictly
      needed, as I already built Spirit model, but I'd like to setup a
      picture which show Spirit and Sojourner side by side.

      Finally, Exomars: looks like nowhere is available any 3d model of it!
      Any help about this?!?

      Note:
      The Spirit 3d model is actually made up of several VRML objects which
      must be downloaded separately to be viewed offline: they are WRL
      files, they are linked in main WRL file, and all of these WRL files
      are actualli WRZ file, i.e. gzipped WRL files.

      Real URL for main model is http://mer3d.free.fr/3d/mer3d.wrl