[space-modelers] Explorer 1

  • sandy55961@aol.com
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 1, 2008
      Happy New Year Guys!
      I got a question, I got a late present for Christmas, Glenco's Explorer 1
      kit. After opening the box, I was a little disappointed to not find either a
      full size painting templete or a decal for the black stripes on the
      satellites body. Does anybody make a decal set for the kit that includes the stripes
      or a scale reference for the stripes. Also, are those stripes supposed to be
      black? I seemed to have read somewhere they were really a green color.
      Thanks & enjoy the parades & games today if you so choose.
      Steve Sliger

      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 1, 2008
        Glencoe did not make a decal for the stripes because the stripes are raised
        on the surface of the kit and easy to paint. PLUS - believe it or not - in
        less than fifty years - we really don't know what color it was. From the
        distant photos, it looks black and white striped but the one that Van Allen, von
        Braun and ??? are holding over their head is not painted but buffed metal
        stripes like the stripes are vapor honed. NASA built tens of these Explorers
        with empty space to add new instruments into and all were different colors.

        The disks inside are coated with bakerlite which of course can be any color
        from browns to purple and the metal parts are just silver in color.

        The band around the mid section I painted rust colored which may or may not
        be correct..

        Have fun and remember - it is just a piece of plastic.

        Nick

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 1, 2008
          Thanks for the info Nick. I haven't taken the kit parts from the plastic
          bags yet so I didn't notice the raised portions as you stated. Knowing that,
          it should be easy to duplicate the strips.
          Thanks again for the insight & Happy New Year,
          Steve Sliger

          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 1, 2008
            Thank You Sandy!

            Not to toot the horn for one of my own kits, but I have always loved
            building the Explorer ! satellite. It's funny, there are some kits that always come
            out great and some that don't. My Explorer and Curtiss Condor, WWI
            Subchaser, if I built them blind-folded, they would come out great. On the other
            hand, every USCG Rescue Boat that I built - and it is a nice kit - I screwed up.
            Why????? Search me, just happens.

            Have fun with it.

            Nick

          • Rick DeNatale
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 1, 2008
              On Jan 1, 2008 10:35 AM, <smaug1415@...> wrote:
              > ... but the one that Van Allen, von
              > Braun and ???

              That ??? would be one William H. Pickering, who was the director of
              JPL from 1954-1976.

              I didn't realize it until just now when I googled to confirm my
              memory, but Pickering was a Kiwi.

              --
              Rick DeNatale

              My blog on Ruby
              http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/
            • smaug1415@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 1, 2008
                In a message dated 1/1/2008 12:30:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                rick.denatale@... writes:

                That ??? would be one William H. Pickering, who was the director of
                JPL from 1954-1976.

                YES !!! I COULDN'T REMEMBER HIS NAME

                THANKS

              • Charles E. (Chuck) Corway
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 2, 2008
                  Interestingly, the book "The First Space Race" does have some photographic
                  documentary evidence that the black and white striped payload section of
                  Explorer I was really sandblasted stainless steel with white stripes. The
                  model hoisted by von Braun, Van Allen and Pickering had the incorrectly
                  colored payload section.

                  The book is available on Amazon.com:
                  http://www.amazon.com/First-Space-Race-Satellites-Centennial/dp/1585443743/r
                  ef=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8
                  <http://www.amazon.com/First-Space-Race-Satellites-Centennial/dp/1585443743/
                  ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1199277703&sr=8-1>
                  &s=books&qid=1199277703&sr=8-1

                  Chuck Corway (formerly NAR 45040)

                • hmjswt
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 3, 2008
                    Hallo,

                    I think the stripes are white.
                    They are made of aluminum oxide.
                    I have put a scan (PDF) on my website of an 1958 ad of the Norton
                    Company, the makers of the stripes.
                    In the ad they stated that the stripes are white. To my knowing alum
                    oxide is white.
                    I am a printer, and the alum printing plates are always oxidizing with
                    white dots on the plates.
                    You can download the ad at : http://www.swtrocketry.nl or
                    http://www.swtrocketry.com

                    HenkSWT
                  • M Scherzi
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 3, 2008
                      Thanks for posting the pdf. I was born in June 59, may I ask what magazine
                      this came from?

                      Thanks,

                      Matt

                      On Jan 3, 2008 5:08 AM, hmjswt <hmjswt@...> wrote:

                      > Hallo,
                      >
                      > I think the stripes are white.
                      > They are made of aluminum oxide.
                      > I have put a scan (PDF) on my website of an 1958 ad of the Norton
                      > Company, the makers of the stripes.
                      > In the ad they stated that the stripes are white. To my knowing alum
                      > oxide is white.
                      > I am a printer, and the alum printing plates are always oxidizing with
                      > white dots on the plates.
                      > You can download the ad at : http://www.swtrocketry.nl or
                      > http://www.swtrocketry.com
                      >
                      > HenkSWT

                    • Henk Siewert
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 4, 2008
                        Industry Magazine

                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 4, 2008
                          Thanks-actually mistyped and was born June 58.

                          On Jan 4, 2008 7:56 AM, Henk Siewert <hmjswt@...> wrote:

                          > Industry Magazine

                        • jdgoldader
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 27, 2008
                            Hi folks,

                            With the 50th anniversary of the launch of Explorer 1 coming up, I
                            thought I'd take a break from my bigger projects and see if I could
                            do a model of Explorer 1 in 1/24 scale... in 24 hours or less!

                            I found a dimensioned drawing on-line (might've been in the Archives)
                            and fashioned the body out of .25" Evergreen tube. I wrapped the
                            front of the tube with aluminum tape to give the slightly wider
                            diameter of the science instrument package.

                            The nose is the point off a Zebra mechanical pencil. The solid
                            rocket nozzle is from a Kotobukiya accessory set from the Starship
                            Modeler store. I nested a few sizes of Evergreen tubing on the rear
                            of the solid rocket to bridge the gap from the main body to the
                            nozzle.

                            Painting was with Model Master enamels. First, I painted the thing
                            flat white overall. Then, I used 2mm strips of Tamiya masking tape
                            to mask off areas to paint in the dark stripes. I used "Jet Exhaust"
                            for the dark stripes. The two "rings" are a mix of copper and black.

                            The antennae are 0.032" rod in holes drilled using a 0.04" bit in my
                            pin vise.

                            All in all, I was very pleased. The only thing I'd have done
                            differently is not bothered with the aluminum tape, since you can't
                            really see the extra thickness, and the paint didn't stick to it very
                            well, requiring touch-ups.

                            It wouldn't win any awards, but it only cost me $2.19 (I needed more
                            0.25" tubing), and everything else came from my supplies. And I
                            managed to do it in a span of only 24 hours, even with lots of Daddy
                            Daycare going on!

                            Jeff
                          • jdgoldader
                            Message 13 of 17 , Jan 27, 2008
                              Oh, yeah, there are two pictures in the Photos folder Explorer 1.
                              Sorry!

                              Jeff
                            • Kev K
                              Message 14 of 17 , Jan 27, 2008
                                Hey Jeff,

                                Thats more than a quickie model. Thats a pretty cool representation of the
                                Explorer 1.
                                And becasue it was unmanned it's in the "accepted" scale of 1:24. I may
                                have to steal your recipe! ;-)

                                I've often looked at that pack of nozzles at SSM, but alwayts passed it by.
                                Now, maybe I'll pick up a pack or
                                two - just to have.

                                Excellent job!

                                Kev K
                                ~ ~ ~

                              • Scott Brotherton
                                Message 15 of 17 , Jan 27, 2008
                                  Dear Jeff,

                                  Very nice job. I think it came out well.

                                  Scott Brotherton

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Jan 28, 2008
                                    Well, Jeff you beat me to the anniversary. Nice quick build (must write
                                    down the word QUICK, as I work slowly).

                                    I plan on using a 9/32 aluminum tube sleeved over the 1/4 tube to
                                    represent the 6.5" diameter of the instrument and transmitter section.
                                    It will be a few thou too big in 1/24 scale (6.5" = 0.271" and 9/32 =
                                    0.281") but I hope no one would complain about 0.005" on the radius!

                                    I'll turn the nose cone, rocket aft end and a nozzle form from wood on
                                    ye ole Moto-lathe. Then vacform the nozzle.

                                    Rob

                                    Message 17 of 17 , Jan 28, 2008
                                      --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, "Schorry, Robert E."
                                      <rob_schorry@...> wrote:

                                      > Well, Jeff you beat me to the anniversary. Nice quick build (must
                                      write
                                      > down the word QUICK, as I work slowly).
                                      >
                                      > I plan on using a 9/32 aluminum tube sleeved over the 1/4 tube to
                                      > represent the 6.5" diameter of the instrument and transmitter section.
                                      > It will be a few thou too big in 1/24 scale (6.5" = 0.271" and 9/32 =
                                      > 0.281") but I hope no one would complain about 0.005" on the radius!
                                      >
                                      > I'll turn the nose cone, rocket aft end and a nozzle form from wood on
                                      > ye ole Moto-lathe. Then vacform the nozzle.
                                      >
                                      > Rob

                                      Hi Rob,

                                      My original plan was to either try to make a wrap with very thin
                                      plastic card for that thicker section, or perhaps use a hollow metal
                                      tube as you're planning. Then I realized I had the tape, so I used
                                      that. I should've sanded the tape to roughen it and then primed the
                                      model so the enamels might've adhered better.

                                      Jeff