Visiting Russia

  • Nick Stevens
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 1, 2007
      I've been to St Petersburg a couple of times, and several places in the
      FSU more than once.

      Nothing specifically space based apart from the cosmonautics museum in
      St Petersburg (worth a visit but not worth going to St P specifically).
      You do get to sit inside a Soyuz capsule though!

      I can help with general travel advice, but not specifically the space
      stuff. The most important things I would suggest are to get some visa
      support, and rent a central flat instead of using hotels. Even if you
      can speak no Russian at all, it will be a big help to get your head
      around the Russian alphabet - many words, particularly technical ones,
      are extremely similar to English.

      Take their rules and regulations seriously, particularly those
      concerning declaring currency and mobile phones.

      I had a great time, and would thoroughly recommend a visit, but it helps
      if you are the kind of person who enjoys somewhere different and is not
      fazed by the occasional cockup, or miming to make what you want clear!
      (Baltica 3 beer is marvelous!) Be wary of mustard, Russian seem to like
      it at English strength and in American qualities!

      The train system is spectacularly confusing even for fluent Russian
      speakers, (things like not using the time zone that the station is in!),
      be very careful before relying on it to get around, you will probably
      need local help. There are some customs that will be taken very
      seriously that may surprise you, things like absolutely not wearing
      shoes indoors, waiting by the door for a moments quiet thought before
      you leave. Anyone used to foreigners will explain these things to you.

      Police have a highly variable reputation, particularly the Militsia - in
      my experience if you keep your nose clean you will not have trouble. But
      if you leave money in your passport and they check the passport they
      will assume you are bribing them for something and keep it! They
      definitely treat jaywalkers as a sort of unofficial bonus system. The
      single most important thing is to register your visa as required, you
      will get no end of grief at the airport when you try and leave if it has
      not been processed.

      Let me know if I can help or advise with anything else...

      --
      Nick Stevens
      My Images: http://www.starbase1.co.uk/galleries/index.html
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 1, 2007
        Why in the world would we want to trade with another country???
        --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, Duane Brimhall

        ______________
        > Be a better sports nut! Let your teams follow you
        > with Yahoo Mobile. Try it now.

      • David Rickman
        Message 3 of 25 , Dec 1, 2007
          Hi Steve!

          Have you used the Yandex search engine yet. It's got a
          boat-load of stuff you won't fund on Google or any
          other english search engine! Then there is the other
          option ... Go straight to the source. Here is the
          archive page of ÍÏÎ èì. Ñ.À. Ëàâî÷êèíà

          http://www.laspace.ru/rus/archive.php

          Navigate around and you'll find some very interesting
          images. Then try contacting them. You wouldn't believe
          how many times I have done this successfully.

          There's also the NK photos archive with a visit to the
          museum of ÍÏÎ èì. Ñ.À. Ëàâî÷êèíà

          http://www.novosti-kosmonavtiki.ru/content/photogallery/gallery_018/index.html

          Hope this helps!

          David L. Rickman

          http://almaz-ops-105.blogspot.com/

        • Steve U
          Message 4 of 25 , Dec 1, 2007
            David,
            Dam...good stuff and iam not even done looking!

            thanks so much!
            steve

          • Steve U
            Message 5 of 25 , Dec 1, 2007
              David,
              you said that you contacted them?
              What did you ask for and get and for how much?
              they spoke english?
              thanks
              Steve