RE: [space-modelers] Holy Grail of Space Modeling Discovered?

  • Nick Lewis
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 1 1:51 AM
      It may well be a colour key - the plans are from 2001 issue 4 of something
      called Model Constructor magazine, so its entirely reasonable that it would
      be. I think there's a reference to a red and aluminium oxide in there, and
      the title says something about "markings".

      But the limits of the scan resolution and my very, very rusty Russian are
      defeating me.

      Nick

      _____

      From: space-modelers@ <mailto:space-modelers%40yahoogroups.com>
      yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1 5:34 AM
        I'd like to know how the astronauts get into the CM, as arm #9 falls a
        bit short of it. Could it be (surely not!) that the scale of the tower
        or the rocket is off a tad? 8-)

        Lee Anne
      • Rick DeNatale
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 1 8:05 AM
          On 11/1/07, Randy Lee Anne Ward <randyleeanne@...> wrote:
          > I'd like to know how the astronauts get into the CM, as arm #9 falls a
          > bit short of it. Could it be (surely not!) that the scale of the tower
          > or the rocket is off a tad? 8-)
          >
          > Lee Anne

          Guenter Wendt gave them a boost? <G>

          --
          Rick DeNatale
        • Matthew Scherzi
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 1 8:12 AM
            So that's where Guenter went.

          • mkrobel1@cs.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 1 8:21 AM
              Actually, Gunter lives about 1 mile away from me and I eat dinner with him occasionally. Went to High School with his daughters.

              "Matthew Scherzi" <usaspace@...> wrote:

              >So that's where Guenter went.
              >
              >On 11/1/07, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> On 11/1/07, Randy Lee Anne Ward <randyleeanne@...> wrote:
              >> > I'd like to know how the astronauts get into the CM, as arm #9 falls a
              >> > bit short of it. Could it be (surely not!) that the scale of the tower
              >> > or the rocket is off a tad?  8-)
              >> >
              >> > Lee Anne
              >>
              >> Guenter Wendt gave them a boost? <G>
              >>
              >> --
              >> Rick DeNatale

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Schorry, Robert E.
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 1 8:26 AM
                Oh! THAT'S where Guenter went!

                Rob

                Actually, Gunter lives about 1 mile away from me and I eat dinner with him occasionally. Went to High School with his daughters.

                "Matthew Scherzi" <usaspace@...> wrote:

                >So that's where Guenter went.
                >
                >On 11/1/07, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> On 11/1/07, Randy Lee Anne Ward <randyleeanne@...> wrote:
                >> > I'd like to know how the astronauts get into the CM, as arm #9
                >> > falls a bit short of it. Could it be (surely not!) that the scale
                >> > of the tower or the rocket is off a tad?  8-)
                >> >
                >> > Lee Anne
                >>
                >> Guenter Wendt gave them a boost? <G>
                >>
                >> --
                >> Rick DeNatale

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Blap! Models
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 1 8:46 AM
                  Boooooo! SSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

                  :)

                  David Guertin
                  BLAP! Models
                  www.blapmodels.com

                  Actually, Gunter lives about 1 mile away from me and I eat dinner with him
                  occasionally. Went to High School with his daughters.

                  "Matthew Scherzi" <usaspace@...> wrote:

                  >So that's where Guenter went.
                  >
                  >On 11/1/07, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale@...> wrote:
                  >>
                  >> On 11/1/07, Randy Lee Anne Ward <randyleeanne@...> wrote:
                  >> > I'd like to know how the astronauts get into the CM, as arm #9
                  >> > falls a bit short of it. Could it be (surely not!) that the scale
                  >> > of the tower or the rocket is off a tad?  8-)
                  >> >
                  >> > Lee Anne
                  >>
                  >> Guenter Wendt gave them a boost? <G>
                  >>
                  >> --
                  >> Rick DeNatale

                  >Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Rick DeNatale
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 1 1:44 PM
                    On 11/1/07, mkrobel1@... <mkrobel1@...> wrote:
                    > Actually, Gunter lives about 1 mile away from me and I eat dinner with him occasionally. Went to High School with his daughters.

                    Cool!

                    A few years ago I wrote him a letter with some questions on data
                    stencils on the Mercury spacecraft.

                    A few weeks later, I answered the phone and the caller had a German
                    accent, it turned out to be Guenter. He didn't have any real answers
                    to my questions, but we talked for about an hour on his dime.

                    Quite a gentleman.
                    --
                    Rick DeNatale
                  • Linden Sims
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 3 2:59 PM
                      Nick,

                      You are correct. It is a colo(u)r key. I chatted briefly with my
                      neighbor and she was kind enough to offer her version of what the
                      color key says. I've posted an image in the R7 file directory
                      called "color code.jpg".
                      What you saw as alumin(i)um oxide she described as oxidized aluminum
                      mixture. I interpreted mixture to mean alloy. I think your read is
                      probably the best. She had difficulty with the "gold with green
                      reflections". I think she understood it but couldn't come up with a
                      resonable translation.
                      What I found most interesting is that, according to my neighbor, the
                      first item for Vostok was not a color at all but a shape meaning
                      sphere or ball.
                      So the answer to the age old question of what color the Vostok sphere
                      was appears to be, uh, sphere colored. :)
                      Not really. The color call-out for the spacecraft is silver.
                      This is all very interesting but it still doesn't answer the question
                      of what really is Vostok Gray or Soyuz Green. (No it's not people).

                      Linden

                      --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Lewis" <nick.lewis@...>