Re: [space-modelers] Revell Saturn V's on sale at squadron

  • sandy55961@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2007
      In a message dated 7/1/2007 12:42:47 AM Central Daylight Time,
      JMChladek@... writes:

      Good deal dude! And no, I wasn't bragging so much to brag, but rather to say

      that such good deals can still be possible if one looks for them (and has
      the patience to find them).

      JMC

      Hey Jay, I wasn't trying to blow my horn either but merely pointing out you
      never know what you may find at one.. Sometimes whenever we travel & we run
      across a town that has a Hobby Lobby, we stop & have a look see. But these
      kind of deals are far & few now a days, just like the 50% off any item
      coupons. Like I said, you may stumble on a extremely good deal every once in a
      while, so always take a look you never know. And yes, you did get a good deal too!
      Steve

    • tooch4242
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 2, 2007
        --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, JMChladek@... wrote:

        > In a message dated 6/29/2007 2:50:11 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
        > jtucci@... writes:
        >
        > FYI guys, I just received Squadrons latest July flyer and they have
        > the 1/96 Saturn V's on sale for 79.99. Web site does not list it yet
        > but the flyer does. Good now I don't have crack open the history
        > makers version of the kit I'll just use this new one for my next
        project.

        > Tooch
        >

        > Tooch, just be aware if you plan to use the newer boxing, some of
        the parts
        > are showing signs of age. I think the bits for the Saturn V itself
        are in good
        > shape, but one of the windows on the LEM was beginning to look more
        like an
        > oval then a triangle due to mold wear, and that was when the kit
        got reissued
        > in 1994 to coincide with the 25th anniversary of Apollo 11. As
        such, the
        > History Makers parts might be a little cleaner since the kit wasn't
        as shot as
        > it is today.
        >
        > Jay Chladek

        Thanks for the warning. I am going to replace a bunch of it with
        aftermarket parts, and I have lots of 1/96 LM's and CSM's laying
        around so that should not be much trouble. So overall it's better to
        use the new kit and replace the shoddy parts with New Ware and
        Realspace stuff then use the good and collectible 25th ann. edition.

        tooch
      • gary gilmore
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 3, 2007
          Since everyone talking about this kit, I might as well throw my 2 cents in -

          When my son and I build ours, I ran into a problem that I could have avoided
          by dryfitting things first.

          The problem is this - the holes in the some of plastic sheets used as body
          tubes appear to be punched upside-down.

          This is most crucial in the lowest tube section [S-IC fuel tank, IIRC] on
          the first stage, and if you assemble it in what appears to be the correct
          way, you will not be able to fit the first intertank, and second tube
          section [lox tank] in place properly.

          This is a major pain in the butt if you've already glued the fuel tank
          together, yaknow?

          So please save yourself some trouble, and dry fit first!

          Gary