Re: Fictional spacecraft from James Bond movie

  • spacecraftengr
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
      You need to load images to the group files area- pix attached to
      group postings are removed (as the note below confirms).
      BP

      --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, Stephen Glenfield
      <dynasoar@...> wrote:

      > Funny that you haven't had a chance to watch it again- Spike TV
      shows
      > the old Bond films on a regular basis.
      >
      > The American craft were Gemini, although labeled "Jupiter" for
      some reason.
      > The Russian craft were rather blocky and bullet-shaped-
      probably because
      > they didn't really know what the craft looked like at the time and
      also
      > so it
      > would be easier to show the removal from the full sized mock
      up of the
      > Spectre
      > capture ship set piece. It had two doors side by side like the
      Gemini.

      > Couldn't find much in the way of pictures in a general search-
      here's a
      > pic of the
      > capture ship on the launch pad from a promotional shot.
      >
      > Steve
      >
      > gary gilmore wrote:
      >
      > >Hi, gang!
      > >
      > >As only my mind can do, a memory has resurrected itself out
      of the ether - does anyone remember the James Bond movie
      'You Only Live Twice"? I saw this a LONG time ago, and the gist
      of the plot was that the arch-villain, Blofeld, was trying to
      precipitate a US-Soviet confrontation by 'kidnapping' both
      American and Russian spacecraft. IF memory serves - the US
      spacecraft were Gemini - and the Soviet craft was supposed to
      be a Vostok - but again, IIRC, it looked like the Vostok launch
      shroud rather than the real spacecraft????

      > >Does anyone remember this?
      > >
      > >The other question is did anyone ever make a model of that
      fictional 'capture' spacecraft - I remember it looking like an
      artillery shell - shiny metal - with 4 jaws that opened to capture
      the Gemini/Vostok. They even had it land tail down - again, if I
      remember correctly.

      > >I looked on Sven's site for speculative spacecraft, but if it's
      there I missed it.

      > >Thanks in advance!
      > >
      > >Gary

      > >Yahoo! Groups Links

      > --
      > Stephen M. Glenfield
      > Ad Astra Per Aspera

    • Mat Irvine
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
        In message <447E6CEE.4050302@...>, Stephen Glenfield
        <dynasoar@...> writes
        >Funny that you haven't had a chance to watch it again- Spike TV shows
        >the old Bond films on a regular basis.
        >
        >The American craft were Gemini, although labeled "Jupiter" for some reason.
        >The Russian craft were rather blocky and bullet-shaped- probably because
        >they didn't really know what the craft looked like at the time and also
        >so it
        >would be easier to show the removal from the full sized mock up of the
        >Spectre
        >capture ship set piece. It had two doors side by side like the Gemini.
        >
        >Couldn't find much in the way of pictures in a general search- here's a
        >pic of the
        >capture ship on the launch pad from a promotional shot.
        >
        >Steve

        I've got one shot of the full-size 'Gemini' prop as it was displayed at
        a Bond exhibition at Portsmouth Dockyard in 1998. (Why Portsmouth I'm
        not sure - but then again Bond was Navy???)

        It's not brilliant (the prop, not - necessarily - the photo, tho' that
        could be better...), and wasn't complete. Also I only appear to have
        taken the one pic as frankly I was more interested in the cars! However
        I'll post it on my 'extras' page on my 'site. Ironically at the more
        recent Bond exhibit at the Science Museum, (2003), it was not displayed.

        (For the 'extras' page, go to
        http://www.smallspace.demon.co.uk/Extras/extras.htm
        as the link is not on the home page.)

        mat

        MAT IRVINE

        New sig line, featuring - "New space modelling book due mid-2006!"

        mat@...
        www.smallspace.demon.co.uk
      • spacecraftengr
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
          Thanks for posting Mat.
          The "Gemini/Jupiter" was only seen in the film from the
          completed side anyway.
          BP

          --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, Mat Irvine <mat@...>
          wrote:

          > In message <447E6CEE.4050302@...>, Stephen Glenfield
          > <dynasoar@...> writes
          > >Funny that you haven't had a chance to watch it again- Spike
          TV shows
          > >the old Bond films on a regular basis.
          > >
          > >The American craft were Gemini, although labeled "Jupiter"
          for some reason.
          > >The Russian craft were rather blocky and bullet-shaped-
          probably because
          > >they didn't really know what the craft looked like at the time
          and also
          > >so it
          > >would be easier to show the removal from the full sized mock
          up of the
          > >Spectre
          > >capture ship set piece. It had two doors side by side like the
          Gemini.

          > >Couldn't find much in the way of pictures in a general search-
          here's a
          > >pic of the
          > >capture ship on the launch pad from a promotional shot.
          > >
          > >Steve
          >

          > I've got one shot of the full-size 'Gemini' prop as it was
          displayed at
          > a Bond exhibition at Portsmouth Dockyard in 1998. (Why
          Portsmouth I'm
          > not sure - but then again Bond was Navy???)
          >
          > It's not brilliant (the prop, not - necessarily - the photo, tho' that
          > could be better...), and wasn't complete. Also I only appear to
          have
          > taken the one pic as frankly I was more interested in the cars!
          However
          > I'll post it on my 'extras' page on my 'site. Ironically at the more
          > recent Bond exhibit at the Science Museum, (2003), it was not
          displayed.

          > (For the 'extras' page, go to
          > http://www.smallspace.demon.co.uk/Extras/extras.htm
          > as the link is not on the home page.)
          >

          > mat
          >
          > MAT IRVINE
          >
          > New sig line, featuring - "New space modelling book due
          mid-2006!"

          > mat@...
          > www.smallspace.demon.co.uk

        • Rick DeNatale
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
            On 6/1/06, Stephen Glenfield <dynasoar@...> wrote:
            > Funny that you haven't had a chance to watch it again- Spike TV shows
            > the old Bond films on a regular basis.

            It's been a while since I've seen it. IIRC, the "Gemini/Jupiter" was
            collected in the middle of an EVA and the poor spacewalking
            astronaut's umbilical was cut when the doors closed around it, making
            him a personal spacecraft.

            Or am I misremembering this?

            --
            Rick DeNatale

            IPMS/USA Region 12 Coordinator
            http://ipmsr12.denhaven2.com/

            Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site
            http://www.mercuryspacecraft.com/
          • spacecraftengr
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
              That was it oh wizened Mercury maven.
              Bruce P.

              --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, "Rick DeNatale"
              <rick.denatale@...> wrote:

              > On 6/1/06, Stephen Glenfield <dynasoar@...> wrote:
              > > Funny that you haven't had a chance to watch it again- Spike
              TV shows
              > > the old Bond films on a regular basis.
              >
              > It's been a while since I've seen it. IIRC, the "Gemini/Jupiter"
              was
              > collected in the middle of an EVA and the poor spacewalking
              > astronaut's umbilical was cut when the doors closed around it,
              making
              > him a personal spacecraft.
              >
              > Or am I misremembering this?
              >
              > --
              > Rick DeNatale
              >
              > IPMS/USA Region 12 Coordinator
              > http://ipmsr12.denhaven2.com/
              >
              > Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site
              > http://www.mercuryspacecraft.com/

            • gary gilmore
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
                That's my memory as well - I just didn't add that 'little' detail . . .

                Gary

              • thedude@myspacemuseum.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
                  I believe the Vostok was based on one of the few available photos that had
                  been released to the west at the time, which didn't show the spacecraft,
                  but only the shorud with the cyrillic "BOCTOK" on the side of it....

                  But, then I could be wrong..... the old gray matter ain't what it used to
                  be.... (No comments, Beepee!)

                  (k)
                • spacecraftengr
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 1, 2006
                    I agree Comrade Dude-ski, I can see the exact photo now .
                    BP