Photo-etching tin

  • scottbro41
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2005
      Does anyone have a contact person or personal experience with using
      tin in photo-etching? I am quickly approaching the time when I will
      need to make my trusses for the Lunar Prospector model I am making.
      Aluminum is out because it will react very poorly to the chemicals in
      the PE process. I would not be able to solder the joints together,
      anyway. Stainless steel will work in the PE process and is silver,
      but I do not think it will solder together either. This leaves brass
      or tin. Both will solder well, but brass will need paint or electro-
      plating. Tin would fill the bill, but I can not find any information
      on whether it is compatible or not with the PE chemicals.

      Scott Brotherton
    • Cliff Wignell
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 8, 2005
        Hi Scott,

        Silver (Nickel) Steel is commonly used for (model tanks, A/C...)
        etching, it solders well, does not rust and resonably easy to work.
        I am told that 35% ferric chloride solution operating at about 50C
        will do the job, but I have never tried anything other than brass.

        Be careful with Ferric Chloride, it's not particularly nice (Toxic)
        and will stain any thing, I am still working off my punishment from
        my Wife!

        all the best

        Cliff

        --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, "scottbro41" <jsb_mla@c...>
        wrote:

        > Does anyone have a contact person or personal experience with
        using
        > tin in photo-etching? I am quickly approaching the time when I
        will
        > need to make my trusses for the Lunar Prospector model I am
        making.
        > Aluminum is out because it will react very poorly to the chemicals
        in
        > the PE process. I would not be able to solder the joints
        together,
        > anyway. Stainless steel will work in the PE process and is
        silver,
        > but I do not think it will solder together either. This leaves
        brass
        > or tin. Both will solder well, but brass will need paint or
        electro-
        > plating. Tin would fill the bill, but I can not find any
        information
        > on whether it is compatible or not with the PE chemicals.
        >
        > Scott Brotherton

      • Scott Brotherton
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 8, 2005
          Cliff Wignell,

          Thank you. Do you know where to buy this? I know what you mean about the
          Wife. The only GOOD that came out of my wife wanting a divorce is that I do
          not have to endure "working of my punishments".

          Scott Brotherton

          > Silver (Nickel) Steel is commonly used for (model tanks, A/C...)
          > etching, it solders well, does not rust and resonably easy to work.
          > I am told that 35% ferric chloride solution operating at about 50C
          > will do the job, but I have never tried anything other than brass.
          >
          > Be careful with Ferric Chloride, it's not particularly nice (Toxic)
          > and will stain any thing, I am still working off my punishment from
          > my Wife!
          >
          > all the best
          >
          > Cliff
          >
          > --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, "scottbro41" <jsb_mla@c...>
          > wrote:
          >>
          >> Does anyone have a contact person or personal experience with
          > using
          >> tin in photo-etching? I am quickly approaching the time when I
          > will
          >> need to make my trusses for the Lunar Prospector model I am
          > making.
          >> Aluminum is out because it will react very poorly to the chemicals
          > in
          >> the PE process. I would not be able to solder the joints
          > together,
          >> anyway. Stainless steel will work in the PE process and is
          > silver,
          >> but I do not think it will solder together either. This leaves
          > brass
          >> or tin. Both will solder well, but brass will need paint or
          > electro-
          >> plating. Tin would fill the bill, but I can not find any
          > information
          >> on whether it is compatible or not with the PE chemicals.
          >>
          >> Scott Brotherton
          >>

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Cliff Wignell
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 8, 2005
            Scott,

            I am in Australia, where are you.

            As I said I have not used it but if you go in to a model shop and
            ask to see the Eduard Etched brass you will see the material in
            question.

            I would look for companies which sell "Shim" stock which is metal in
            the 10, 20 thousands of an inch thick range. I get mine from a
            couple of outlets which specialize in materials for model
            engineering. Just a little hint, if you find an bulk outlet, take a
            few photos of what you a doing be very nice and polite and you may
            find your self walking off with some off cuts of damaged sheets.
            Free works for me (I still have a wife to support).

            A surprising number of everyday items contain parts made using
            etching.

            You can actually successfully etch Aluminum but I am not sure of the
            best etchant to use, I read some where that ferric chloride produces
            poisonous gasses when used on Aluminum; but I am not sure, I checked
            my books on etching but only found that it could be etched not the
            best enchant, I will have a look around for you.

            Also there are Aluminum solders, it is a bit finicky to use but does
            work.

            The other thing is that what people commonly think is Tin is
            actually mild steel coated with Tin.

            I will do a little research and see what I can find.

            Best regards.

            --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Brotherton"
            <jsb_mla@c...> wrote:

            > Cliff Wignell,
            >
            > Thank you. Do you know where to buy this? I know what you mean
            about the
            > Wife. The only GOOD that came out of my wife wanting a divorce is
            that I do
            > not have to endure "working of my punishments".
            >
            > Scott Brotherton

          • Scott Brotherton
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 9, 2005
              Cliff Wignell,

              I live in Florida, USA. Thanks for the ideas, I will look into them.

              Scott Brotherton