The Future of Modeling?

  • TB
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2005
      Based on this article, a person could make anything with as much detail as
      they wanted right in their own home or workshop. The possibilities are
      endless:

      http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.09/fablab.html

      T.B.
    • BP
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2005
        Hmmm, that's funny- I thought I'd been doing that
        all along.

        BP

        --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, "TB"
        <partyslammer@s...> wrote:
        > Based on this article, a person could make anything with as
        much detail as
        > they wanted right in their own home or workshop. The
        possibilities are
        > endless:
        >
        > http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.09/fablab.html
        >
        > T.B.
      • Rick Sternbach
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2005
          I just took delivery yesterday of six miniature rocket nozzles "grown"
          in an RP machine. The article didn't go much into the different types
          of 3D printers, but there are a lot of facilities doing this stuff, and
          a Google search can find them easily enough. The guys who did my job
          have done action and cartoon figures, and the detail is quite amazing.

          Rick

          On Sep 1, 2005, at 12:31 AM, TB wrote:

          > Based on this article, a person could make anything with as much
          > detail as
          > they wanted right in their own home or workshop. The possibilities are
          > endless:
          >
          > http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.09/fablab.html
          >
          > T.B.
          ----
          Rick Sternbach

          Please visit Space Model Systems Inc. at
          http://www.spacemodelsystems.com
          rick@...

          And also visit
          http://www.ricksternbach.com
          rsternbach@...
        • fraighttrain30
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2005
            --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, Rick Sternbach <rick@r...> wrote:
            > I just took delivery yesterday of six miniature rocket
            nozzles "grown"
            > in an RP machine.

            Rick,

            Would you care to share a few details in how you contacted the person,
            what you had to provide drawing or dimension wise and what it cost?
            There are a few projects I've had hanging where it's either do the work
            on my lathe or have someone 3D model them but I never checked into the
            actual specifics of having the parts grown.

            I've always wanted to do a series of Agena spacecraft but the nozzles
            are very small and have presented some unique challenges on my lathe.

            Bryan
            Denver CO
          • Rick Sternbach
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 4, 2005
              I've just uploaded a file (yahoo will post the auto-notification)
              showing the finished prototype model I delivered to Transformational
              Space Corp. about a month ago. More images of the construction process
              will be shipped up to the Space Model Systems website soon, but I
              thought folks might like to see this one while I get the page together.
              The design has undergone (and will see more) changes; this is one step
              in the process for T/Space. I'm hoping to re-master more of the parts
              in RP and laser-cutting; some can't be easily duplicated, like the EMA
              cylinders and hemi-caps, so those need to be purchased or vacuform
              copied. The aeroshell was turned in foam and vacuformed at a local FX
              fabricator and pulled in two pieces for an eventual full hull with
              magnetic catches.

              Rick
              ----

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 4, 2005
                I've set up a temporary web page to show off the building of the CXV
                prototype model, with blessings of the client. Clearly, this thing can
                take a *lot* more detailing, being about 10" in diameter and about the
                same in length, but the basic bits you see were adequate for showing
                the concept. See

                http://www.spacemodelsystems.com/tspace.html

                No, it's not going to be made into a kit. :)

                Rick