Revell 1/72 Shuttle Window Help

  • space_modeler
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2005
      I am building up the 1/72 Revell shuttle for display with the Monogram
      stack. The shuttle is completely closed and will not be opened. I am
      at a loss as to how to assemble/fill/paint the cockpit area without
      inserting the windows first. This is the kit with the silly flip-top
      roof. I'd use that for access but the fit is so bad up there it will
      definately require filling so I'd rather assemble that before the
      white goes on.

      Any ideas short of a break-away access panel on the bottom which will
      be against the ET?

      Thanks in advance,

      Mark
    • Karl D. Dodenhoff
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2005
        Mark -
        Not sure I follow you. Why would it be necessary to install the windows before you assemble the cockpit?

        (k)
      • space_modeler
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2005
          Karl,

          By assemble the cockpit I meant close the unit up. The windows
          assemble from the inside. I'm just looking at methods of not having to
          mask the windows before painting. I just thought it would be great to
          be able to fill/paint to my heart's content and when it's right,
          insert the tinted windows that come with the kit.

          --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, "Karl D. Dodenhoff"

        • thedude@myspacemuseum.com
          Message 4 of 8 , May 2, 2005
            OK, I gotcha. Well, my best guess would be to just mask them and pop 'em
            in. Use some low tack tape. You can also remove some of the tape's
            tackiness by repeatedly taping it down to something, then pulling it up
            several times, so you don't end up with tape goo on the windows. Also,
            you can get some Goo Off (or whatever it's called) which will take that
            off if you still end up with tape residue on the windows.

            Sorry I couldn't come up with anything better than that. I would leave
            that tape on until you've got the basic buildup almost complete and you're
            ready to tackle the windows.

            (k)
          • JMChladek@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , May 2, 2005
              thedude@... writes:

              > OK, I gotcha. Well, my best guess would be to just mask them and pop 'em
              > in. Use some low tack tape. You can also remove some of the tape's
              > tackiness by repeatedly taping it down to something, then pulling it up
              > several times, so you don't end up with tape goo on the windows. Also,
              > you can get some Goo Off (or whatever it's called) which will take that
              > off if you still end up with tape residue on the windows.
              >
              > Sorry I couldn't come up with anything better than that. I would leave
              > that tape on until you've got the basic buildup almost complete and you're
              > ready to tackle the windows.
              >
              > (k)

              Or you could mask them off with some of those Black Magic paint masks from
              Cutting Edge/Meteor. I kept a set of those on my 1/144 shuttle for many months
              and they didn't come off with any residue problem. What little there was can be
              cleaned up easily by running a fresh piece of tape over the area since sticky
              stuff likes to stick to sticky stuff better then a non-sticky surface.

              Jay Chladek

            • space_modeler
              Message 6 of 8 , May 3, 2005
                Thanks Jay,

                I have a set of those but I haven't taken a look at what they
                include. I'll check it out.

                And thanks to Karl for your suggestions too.

                > Or you could mask them off with some of those Black Magic paint
                masks from
                > Cutting Edge/Meteor. I kept a set of those on my 1/144 shuttle for
                many months
                > and they didn't come off with any residue problem. What little
                there was can be
                > cleaned up easily by running a fresh piece of tape over the area
                since sticky
                > stuff likes to stick to sticky stuff better then a non-sticky
                surface.

                > Jay Chladek

              • gary gilmore
                Message 7 of 8 , May 3, 2005
                  <since sticky stuff likes to stick to sticky stuff better then a non-sticky
                  surface>

                  That is either an absurd-sounding profundity, or an alliteration fixation!
                  ;-)

                  I'll assume the former . .

                  Gary
                • Kevin K
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 3, 2005
                    FWIW, I've used the liquid latex stuff (Mountains in Minutes? - I forget the name now) that can be obtained from model railroad shops for masking. Just paint the latex on wait for it to dry and then stick the edge of the latex with a pin and peel it up. Works well. One jar of the stuff will last you a lifetime. HTH

                    Kev
                    kevtk@...

                    OK, I gotcha. Well, my best guess would be to just mask them and pop 'em
                    in. Use some low tack tape. You can also remove some of the tape's
                    tackiness by repeatedly taping it down to something, then pulling it up
                    several times, so you don't end up with tape goo on the windows. Also,
                    you can get some Goo Off (or whatever it's called) which will take that
                    off if you still end up with tape residue on the windows.

                    Sorry I couldn't come up with anything better than that. I would leave
                    that tape on until you've got the basic buildup almost complete and you're
                    ready to tackle the windows.

                    (k)

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    To visit your group on the web, go to: