Saturn V fins

  • Mike Holliday
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2005
      Hi Guys

      Don't believe there is such a thing as a dumb question so I'm just going
      to ask...

      Have had trouble making out the colour of Saturn V fins from references
      and photos (most I've seen are exterior shots or just after liftoff so I'm
      not sure of lighting effects) particularly for Apollo 8-14:

      Is it a metallic grey?
      Did it change from one flight to another?
      Did the colour change from one POS to another?

      Any help or pointers to photos would be wonderful

      Rgds

      Mike

      Mike Holliday
      Network Architect,
      Network Design
      E-Business Services
      IBM Global Services, Level 1, 55 Christie Street, St Leonards 2065
      Mobile: 0401 368608 Fax: +61 2 99378100
      E-mail: mikeholl@... Location: SL01

    • klomperoiquip
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
        Hello Mike,

        Couple a years ago I built the 1/96 Revell kit of Saturn V
        resembling the Apollo 11 launch vehicle. As far as I can make out on
        my reference photos the fins are entirely metallic grey (apart from
        the fin letters, those are black letters in a white rectangle).

        Hope this helps.

        Ronald Klompe

        --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, Mike Holliday <mikeholl@a...>
        wrote:
        > Hi Guys
        >
        > Don't believe there is such a thing as a dumb question so I'm just
        going
        > to ask...
        >
        > Have had trouble making out the colour of Saturn V fins from
        references
        > and photos (most I've seen are exterior shots or just after
        liftoff so I'm
        > not sure of lighting effects) particularly for Apollo 8-14:
        >
        > Is it a metallic grey?
        > Did it change from one flight to another?
        > Did the colour change from one POS to another?
        >
        > Any help or pointers to photos would be wonderful
        >
        > Rgds
        >
        > Mike
        >
        > Mike Holliday
        > Network Architect,
        > Network Design
        > E-Business Services
        > IBM Global Services, Level 1, 55 Christie Street, St Leonards
        2065
        > Mobile: 0401 368608 Fax: +61 2 99378100
        > E-mail: mikeholl@a... Location: SL01

      • John Duncan
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
          They are bare metal, as are the lower section of the engine fairings. I
          used bare metal foil on mine. Dull aluminum color BMF would do it.
          Metallic Grey would not be right, IMHO.

          John

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2005
            Thanks Guys

            I did find something which was close up of whole fin from the side (on
            ://www.apollosaturn.com S1-C page 2). It is a bare metal, looks very much
            like bronze but I think that is reflection of setting sun, I'll see if I
            can find something else and will go with dull aluminium if i don't find
            anything better. Interestingly it appears to be different type of metal
            finish to the lower engine fairings.

            Thanks Again

            Mike

          • Darren J Longhorn
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 2, 2005
              Mike Holliday wrote:

              >Thanks Guys
              >
              >I did find something which was close up of whole fin from the side (on
              >://www.apollosaturn.com S1-C page 2). It is a bare metal, looks very much
              >like bronze but I think that is reflection of setting sun, I'll see if I
              >can find something else and will go with dull aluminium if i don't find
              >anything better. Interestingly it appears to be different type of metal
              >finish to the lower engine fairings.

              The fins are made from titanium, I think.