Re: [space-modelers] Re: Hubble ST plastic kit....

  • Gordon Davie
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 1, 2004
      Bruce P. wrote:
      > Oops.
      > Too many space artists to keep straight. ;^)

      You can never have too many space artists. :-)

      Gordon Davie
      Edinburgh, Scotland

      "Slipped the surly bonds of Earth...to touch the face of God"
    • Mat Irvine
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 1, 2004
        In message <bvgqcl+vddl@...>, d_geraths <Dana@...>
        writes
        >> You may also want to look at the support - assuming you retain the
        >arm
        >> as the support? - as this too is a very weak point. And the base
        >itself
        >> needs filling with something weighty - otherwise the finished
        >model will
        >> be continually falling over!
        >>

        > Use the base that it came with!? HA! I don't think I have ever
        >in 20 years of building, even once used the base a model came with.
        >I have a plan for the base already that doesn't incorporate the arm
        >the model came with. To be honest I usually am thinking of the base
        >or how to present a model before I even start on one.
        >
        > Presentation is everything ya know! :^)

        Well it was only a suggestion.....

        mat

        MAT IRVINE <mat@...>

        "Ten years in the making.." (let's not exaggerate, only nine..)
        my space book - 'Creating Space' - is now OUT.

        http://www.smallspace.demon.co.uk
      • Bruce P.
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 1, 2004
          I'd modify that a tad-
          "You can never have too many GOOD space artists."

          (You haven't seen MY space art. [And you never will ;^O ])

          BP

          --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon Davie"
          <g.davie@b...> wrote:
          > Bruce P. wrote:
          > > Oops.
          > > Too many space artists to keep straight. ;^)
          >
          > You can never have too many space artists. :-)
          >
          > Gordon Davie
          > Edinburgh, Scotland
          >
          > "Slipped the surly bonds of Earth...to touch the face of God"
        • Lyndon Sharp
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 1, 2004
            I really agree with this comment.
            So many kits come with bases that make you shudder.
            I lean towards simple square stained and polished wood, with clear
            acrylic rod or polished steel wire to support the object. I haven't
            done any nameplating, but am considering how that could best be done.

            Quality engraved copperplate lettering in a small aluminium plate
            seems the go - the lettering is beyond me, but the kid with the
            machine down at the key-cutting place seems to do a good job... he
            just can't spell...

            > > Use the base that it came with!? HA! I don't think I have ever
            >>in 20 years of building, even once used the base a model came with.
            >>I have a plan for the base already that doesn't incorporate the arm
            >>the model came with. To be honest I usually am thinking of the base
            >>or how to present a model before I even start on one.
            >>
            > > Presentation is everything ya know! :^)

            Lyndon Sharp
            Manager, Information Services Branch
            Office of the Board of Studies NSW, Sydney, Australia
            Email1: lyndons@...
            Email2: sharp@...
            Office: +(61) 2 9367 8319
            Mobile: 0419 211 120
            Fax: +(61) 2 9367 8481
            http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au
            http://www.bosnsw-k6.nsw.edu.au
            http://shop.bos.nsw.edu.au
            http://www.anzacsite.gov.au/
            http://www.teachingheritage.nsw.edu.au
            http://www.ameb.nsw.edu.au/
            http://www.tha.nsw.gov.au/
          • Mat Irvine
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 2, 2004
              In message <p06020405bc434671db8b@[10.81.90.90]>, Lyndon Sharp
              <lyndons@...> writes
              >I really agree with this comment.
              >So many kits come with bases that make you shudder.
              >I lean towards simple square stained and polished wood, with clear
              >acrylic rod or polished steel wire to support the object. I haven't
              >done any nameplating, but am considering how that could best be done.
              >
              >Quality engraved copperplate lettering in a small aluminium plate
              >seems the go - the lettering is beyond me, but the kid with the
              >machine down at the key-cutting place seems to do a good job... he
              >just can't spell...
              >
              >> > Use the base that it came with!? HA! I don't think I have ever
              >>>in 20 years of building, even once used the base a model came with.
              >>>I have a plan for the base already that doesn't incorporate the arm
              >>>the model came with. To be honest I usually am thinking of the base
              >>>or how to present a model before I even start on one.
              >>>
              >> > Presentation is everything ya know! :^)

              Didn't realise that my passing comment about the SkilCraft HST base
              would cause so much angst. I only mentioned it as *IF* you used the base
              then it did benefit for having some weight added, as do, say, the
              Strombecker/ Glencoe bases.

              When I was producing the models for The Book, I was doing them 'as the
              manufacturer intended' - that's the whole point of doing the book.
              Consequently I used the HST base 'as provided', so noticed this tendency
              to topple... so thought it might be a useful piece of information to
              pass on. (Beginning to wish I'd left it out now.. :-)

              Anyway, although it wasn't executed brilliantly, I quite liked the way
              the base was intended - using the arm to hold the telescope. But nobody
              is forcing anyone to use the base. If you don't like the base, well
              don't use it....

              However, come to think of it, 'wood' (finished as 'wood' that is) is a
              very odd method of presentation for what is, after all, a highly
              technical piece of equipment? One might think that a 'metal' or
              'composite material' or 'concrete' (for launchers) base, would be
              better? (Even if they are actually 'wood', but finished as 'metal',
              'composite material' or 'concrete'....)

              Just my 2p worth...