Re: B-52 conversions

  • raisingirl@mindspring.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
      hello all....

      Robert Shendock wrote:

      > I received a Revell B-52H kit recently. It appears to be a very nice kit.
      > Has anyone tried to actualize this kit to a B-52A or B? I noticed
      > conversions are available for Crown/Minicraft kits.

      Well...it could be done, but the Revell issue (if it's the same one I'm thinking
      of, the most recent issue) has a LOT of later lumps and bumps and other
      modifications to it. You could convert it, and I thought of doing that, but
      some folks in the know told me the Crown/Minicraft kit is a much less
      troublesome starting point. That kit is also very nice, and that's what I'm
      using for my early B-52 (in conjunction with the Cutting Edge conversion).

      Were I you, I'd do as some other folks have suggested and use the Revell kit to
      depict the B-52 NASA is using to replace 008. It's a very handsome aircraft in
      its NASA colors. Maybe down the road I'll do that, when some other stuff gets
      cleared away here. :)

      By the by, the Cutting Edge conversion sets are *very* nice and I was surprised
      at how affordable they were, considering all you get in them (new forward
      fuselage, taller tail and new tail section, new engines, "notched" inboard flap,
      etc.). I have the NB-52A conversion and really am looking forward to using it.
      The only thing keeping me from moving forward is that I want to see what pylons
      and test vehicles will be forthcoming. (The other thing is, you have to buy the
      decals separately, and you only get two schemes on the 003 sheet, so for its
      price it's a small sheet -- but if you're enterprising you can get one of the
      ALPS folks to print you other schemes, I imagine.)

      jodie
    • newsartist2003
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
        There is not much out there yet, but the following may be of help?

        http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/improvingflight/B-52H_mothership.html

        http://www.space.com/imageoftheday/image_of_day_031208.html

        http://www.edwards.af.mil/archive/2001/2001-archive-dryden_b52.html

        pylon info...
        http://www.spacedaily.com/news/plane-b52-01a.html

        The new pylon for the NB-52H is from the Fabrication Shop, of the
        Naval Air Warfare Center, China Lake. This sounds like the kind of
        thing they would be proud of, and publicize... perhaps local papers
        would have detail pictures?

        A trick I have used on the 1/72 B-52, is to offset the landing gear
        for display on the ground. The B-52 has a unique, crosswind gear,
        where it can roll straight down the runway and yet crab the airframe
        into the wind. Done to a model, this makes it look "heavier" and more
        realistic for some reason.

        Paul
      • Robert Shendock
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 1, 2004
          Thank all for the wealth of information. As it usually goes, I was going to
          do it as a B-52H until I saw the photo of the opposing B-52's at the
          referenced Edwards site - wow - now I need to do both in the same scale.
        • Mat Irvine
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 2, 2004
            In message <3FF437F4.ACBB9302@...>, raisingirl@...
            writes
            >hello all....
            >
            >Robert Shendock wrote:
            >
            >> I received a Revell B-52H kit recently. It appears to be a very nice kit.
            >> Has anyone tried to actualize this kit to a B-52A or B? I noticed
            >> conversions are available for Crown/Minicraft kits.
            >
            >Well...it could be done, but the Revell issue (if it's the same one I'm thinking
            >of, the most recent issue) has a LOT of later lumps and bumps and other
            >modifications to it. You could convert it, and I thought of doing that, but
            >some folks in the know told me the Crown/Minicraft kit is a much less
            >troublesome starting point. That kit is also very nice, and that's what I'm
            >using for my early B-52 (in conjunction with the Cutting Edge conversion).

            Just a general point that may (or may not?) be generally known, (and may
            or may not be of any use..) is that the first Revell 1:144 B-52 *was*
            the Crown kit. Only later did the company issue it own version. So if
            you see an ad for a 'Revell 1:144 B-52', it could be worth checking
            which issue. (The Revell 'Crown' reissue is numbered 4728.)

            mat

            MAT IRVINE <mat@...>

            "Ten years in the making.." (let's not exaggerate, only nine..)
            my space book - 'Creating Space' - is now OUT.

            http://www.smallspace.demon.co.uk