Re: [space-modelers] Mat Irvine

  • Mat Irvine
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2003
      In message <20030927.154054.1156.0.bukker@...>, Morris D Shirley
      <bukker@...> writes
      >Mr. Irvine.
      > I appreciate the time and interest you give to the list. Your postings
      >are always cogent. Plus, your unique knowledge of kit history adds to
      >the hobby of real space modeling a dimension of context and nostalgia I
      >very much enjoy and appreciate. Thank you.

      Well thanks - I know Sven frowns at "I agree" posts, and it would be
      presumptuous of me to say this anyway, but I WILL say that we all can
      add interesting bits - new and old, especially the 'old(er) timers' (in
      the modelling sense??) like Glenn, Sven, Karl, Mike, Keith, Tomas,
      Scott, Gary, Rick, Jay, Steven, Bruce, Russ, St├ęphane, John, Andi...
      even me, (apologies - can't list you all!)

      And re: the other post displaying my name, and Doctor Who returning,
      well this is true. The announcement was going to be delayed until the
      40th Anniversary - November - but there was a danger of the news being
      leaked, so it was officially released - check out the BBC site if you
      want more news - http://www.bbc.co.uk It is due for 2005. And as to
      being involved? Well I've sorta moved on - and anyway it'll all be CGI!

      mat

      MAT IRVINE <mat@...>

      "Ten years in the making.." (let's not exaggerate, only nine..)
      my space book - 'Creating Space' - is now OUT.

      http://www.smallspace.demon.co.uk
    • Rick DeNatale
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2003
        On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 06:05, Mat Irvine wrote:
        > And re: the other post displaying my name, and Doctor Who returning,
        > well this is true. The announcement was going to be delayed until the
        > 40th Anniversary - November - but there was a danger of the news being
        > leaked, so it was officially released - check out the BBC site if you
        > want more news - http://www.bbc.co.uk It is due for 2005. And as to
        > being involved? Well I've sorta moved on - and anyway it'll all be
        > CGI!

        Mat,

        That seems to be the way of the world. I don't know if you've met Roy
        Sutherland. He owns Cooper Details and has been a fixture at the US
        IPMS/Nationals.

        Roy got hired for a year at Industrial Light and Magic to work on Star
        Wars Episode II. At the end of production they laid off all but one of
        their model makers. It seems everything is going CGI.

        He also told me an interesting story. While (or is that whilst?<G>) he
        was there the IL&M model makers built Star War's models to be auctioned
        off for charity on e-bay. Roy accurized the Ertl AT-AT kit. In doing the
        research he pumped one of the few model makers who had worked on the
        original series and was still there for information. One of his
        questions was how the crew boarded the walker. The reply he got was
        something like:

        "Roy! It was a MODEL! they didn't have to board it!"