Re: more on T-38s

  • Tomas Kladiva
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 31, 2003
      Is it possible to post scans of the article here?

      Tom
      New Ware

      --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, raisingirl@m... wrote:
      > hi all --
      >
      > Jay Chladek wrote:
      >
      > > modifications (good cockpit, recessed panel lines, reasonably
      good fit). A back
      > > issue of Fine Scale Modeler (November 1988 issue I believe) has
      an article on
      > > how to do the conversion.
      >
      > There's a T-38 conversion article along these lines in the November
      1995 issue,
      > using the Esci kit. (A doubly endlessly useful issue to me, with
      its article on
      > Alan Kulwicki's Thunderbird, too.) ;)
      >
      > > Modifying the Esci isn't really that tough, but admittedly if
      somebody was to
      > > offer a resin conversion kit to turn the Esci F-5B into a T-38
      with the
      > > correct intakes, nose gear strut, aft spine air vents and perhaps
      a new piece for
      > > the gear door and airbrake area, they would potentially do well
      (hint hint
      > > Tom). ;) And aftermarket NASA decals are always a good thing too.
      >
      > I'd be all for that kind of thing, as I have two of the little
      cuties in the
      > back room to go with the 1:72 shuttle I'm working on. Most of the
      stuff you
      > have to do isn't that bad, but a good conversion would save a lot
      of effort, not
      > to mention it'd take care of some of the real difficult stuff.
      There's some
      > stuff in the FSM article that requires a little more precise work
      than I trust
      > myself with, so a good conversion (with NASA decals!) would be very
      welcome.

      > Also, and I'm working from memory, isn't there a difference between
      the types of
      > ejection seats you'd need to have, depending on which era you're
      working from?
      > Anyone who knows, please speak up. My Sword kit is increasingly
      likely to wear
      > Gemini-era markings, so any ejection-seat information would be
      highly
      > appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > jodie
    • Rick DeNatale
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 1 6:42 AM
        On Sun, 2003-08-31 at 23:45, Linden Sims wrote:
        > I hadn't heard of the
        > Sword kit until your post. Is this the one to beat? I have the old
        > Testors 1/48 kit but I haven't looked closely at it yet. How do they
        > compare?

        The Sword kit is a T-38.

        The Testor's kit is a F-5 dressed up as a T-38 for Halloween.
      • Mike J. Idacavage
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 1 7:58 AM
          Linden:
          There are only 2 good models of the T-38 in any scale. The Sword
          kit is perhaps the best in regards to accuracy, availability and cost. The
          only down side to this kit is the current availability of NASA decals for
          the bird. There is a good 1/32 kit of the Talon, but it is a resin kit so
          the cost is higher than most injection molded kits. The good news on this
          kit is that NASA decals come in the kit. I wrote an in-box review of the
          1/32 Talon model for the modeling web site "Modeling Madness". Here's the
          URL if you are interested:
          http://m2reviews.cnsi.net/reviews/mod/idat38.htm

          Rick description of the Fujimi/Testors 1/50 T-38 kit is excellent! At this
          time there are no correct 1/72 T-38 kits available. The Hasegawa kit is a
          slightly modified F-5B. The Starfix kit is a repop/rip off of the Hasegawa
          mold while the Pioneer kit is a poor imitation. The best option in this
          scale now is the convert the Esci/Ertl/Revell F-5B kit.

          Mike

          Thanks for posting the info on the Talon Bang seats!

          At 03:45 AM 9/1/03 +0000, you wrote:
          >Jodie,
          >
          >I don't think the T-38 ejection seat has changed visibly since it
          >first rolled out in the early 60's. There was one modification I know
          >of in the early 80's that changed how the ejection sequence was
          >initiated. Originally the pilot would raise the handgrips to expose
          >triggers. Then one or both triggers were sqeezed to fire the seat.
          >This was modified around 83-84, at least by the Air Force, so that
          >simply raising either handgrip would fire the seat. The triggers were
          >removed. Since the triggers were hidden when the handgrips were down
          >anyway this wouldn't affect how you model it.
          >
          >You seem to know something about T-38 models. I hadn't heard of the
          >Sword kit until your post. Is this the one to beat? I have the old
          >Testors 1/48 kit but I haven't looked closely at it yet. How do they
          >compare?
          >
          >Thanks,
          >
          >Linden

        • Mike J. Idacavage
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 1 8:03 AM
            Tom:
            Due to copyright laws, it would not be a good idea to post the
            article for the group on the Yahoo website. However, I will be able to help
            you out by sending you some scans of several good T-38 conversion articles
            (including the FineScale article) for your own personal use. I should be
            able to start to send them to you later today.

            Mike

            At 04:46 AM 9/1/03 +0000, you wrote:
            >Is it possible to post scans of the article here?
            >
            >Tom
            >New Ware
            >
            >--- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, raisingirl@m... wrote:
            > > hi all --
            > >
            > > Jay Chladek wrote:
            > >
            > > > modifications (good cockpit, recessed panel lines, reasonably
            >good fit). A back
            > > > issue of Fine Scale Modeler (November 1988 issue I believe) has
            >an article on
            > > > how to do the conversion.
            > >
            > > There's a T-38 conversion article along these lines in the November
            >1995 issue,
            > > using the Esci kit. (A doubly endlessly useful issue to me, with
            >its article on
            > > Alan Kulwicki's Thunderbird, too.) ;)
            > >
            > > > Modifying the Esci isn't really that tough, but admittedly if
            >somebody was to
            > > > offer a resin conversion kit to turn the Esci F-5B into a T-38
            >with the
            > > > correct intakes, nose gear strut, aft spine air vents and perhaps
            >a new piece for
            > > > the gear door and airbrake area, they would potentially do well
            >(hint hint
            > > > Tom). ;) And aftermarket NASA decals are always a good thing too.
            > >
            > > I'd be all for that kind of thing, as I have two of the little
            >cuties in the
            > > back room to go with the 1:72 shuttle I'm working on. Most of the
            >stuff you
            > > have to do isn't that bad, but a good conversion would save a lot
            >of effort, not
            > > to mention it'd take care of some of the real difficult stuff.

          • Linden Sims
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 1 5:24 PM
              Mike,

              Thanks for the info and the link to your review of the Collect-Aire
              kit. In the review you mention that Collect-Aire is supplying two
              styles of ejection seats so I stand corrected on my earlier suggestion
              that there were no visible changes. I'm sure they know more about it
              than I do.

              I've uploaded a diagram of the seat I'm familiar with to the files
              area as T38Seat.gif. I'd be interested in knowing if this is the old
              or new style. It was in use by the USAF in the mid 80's. I'm aware of
              some minor mods to this seat including the trigger thing, the seat
              attach bolt arrows, and the survival kit retention strap, but this is
              the first I've heard of a completely different seat.

              I'd love to learn what others know about different seats.

              Thanks,
              Linden

              --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, "Mike J. Idacavage"

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 7 6:05 PM
                For all of those interested in the X-29, I was reminded a bit earlier about
                one of the references that I have on this aircraft. I thought I would pass
                the info on to the group. If you happen to come across this booklet, grab
                it! The publication is called the Grumman X-29, published in 1985 and it is
                in the Aeroguide series. The author is Bill Gunston and it has 36 pages. It
                is a "Detail & Scale" type book with both color & B&W photos of the X-29
                geared for the modeler. (lot's of detail shots). There is also a 1/72
                series of scale drawings in the book. All in all, a worthwhile reference
                if you have a chance to pick one up sight unseen!
                Mike

                This is one of my favorite X aircraft as I was lucky enough to see it's
                last flight at Edwards. I just wish that I can go back in time and bring my
                current camera with a much better lens to shoot it!

              • jridge16
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 13, 2008
                  Mike
                  Dragging up an old email. Do you still have these articles
                  available?
                  Jeff

                • JMChladek@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 13, 2008
                    Be aware that when this topic first came up, Sword hadn't even issued its
                    1/48 T-38 kits yet. Today, Sword has done T-38s in 1/48 and 1/72 and they make
                    decent starting points for NASA jets. Granted I believe both kits are
                    currently OOP, but they aren't impossible to find with a little bit of sleuthing. I
                    can even still get the 1/48 Thunderbird T-38 issue at my LHS.

                    As for converting an ESCI/Revell F-5B kit, the intakes need changing, the
                    nose gear needs replacing with one from a Hasegawa kit (the only T-38 feature in
                    what otherwise is an F-5B kit) and the center fuselage section below the
                    wing needs to be reprofiled to match that of a T-38.

                    In a message dated 10/13/2008 2:39:45 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                    jridge16@... writes:

                    Mike
                    Dragging up an old email. Do you still have these articles
                    available?
                    Jeff

                  • Jon Davies
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 14, 2008
                      The 72nd is being reissued ... don't know about the 48th

                      jridge16@yahoo. com writes:

                      Mike
                      Dragging up an old email. Do you still have these articles
                      available?
                      Jeff

                      ************ **New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination.
                      (http://local. mapquest. com/?ncid= emlcntnew0000000 2)

                    • jridge16
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 14, 2008
                        I didn't specify, but I'm looking for the 1/48th scale version.

                        I've done a pretty extensive search online and found nothing.
                        Granted, you can find listings of the either the USAF kit or the T-
                        birds kit as available, but when you call these Hobby Shops, they
                        are sold out (these smaller shops don't update their web listing
                        much it seems).

                        I haven't checked out of country locations because of the expense in
                        shipping and the language barrier. Every once in a while one pops
                        up on ebay however. I just haven't won one yet.

                        What is the hobby shop where you've seen the kit. Is it the 1/48
                        scale version or the 1/72? Can you give me their phone number or
                        address? PM this information to me please.

                        Thanks,
                        Jeff

                        --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, JMChladek@... wrote:

                        > Be aware that when this topic first came up, Sword hadn't even
                        issued its
                        > 1/48 T-38 kits yet. Today, Sword has done T-38s in 1/48 and 1/72
                        and they make
                        > decent starting points for NASA jets. Granted I believe both kits
                        are
                        > currently OOP, but they aren't impossible to find with a little
                        bit of sleuthing. I
                        > can even still get the 1/48 Thunderbird T-38 issue at my LHS.
                        >
                        > As for converting an ESCI/Revell F-5B kit, the intakes need
                        changing, the
                        > nose gear needs replacing with one from a Hasegawa kit (the only T-
                        38 feature in
                        > what otherwise is an F-5B kit) and the center fuselage section
                        below the
                        > wing needs to be reprofiled to match that of a T-38.
                        >

                        > In a message dated 10/13/2008 2:39:45 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                        > jridge16@... writes:
                        >
                        > Mike
                        > Dragging up an old email. Do you still have these articles
                        > available?
                        > Jeff
                        >

                        > **************New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your
                        destination.
                        > Dining, Movies, Events, News & more. Try it out

                      • jridge16
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 14, 2008
                          Yeah, I've heard that they might me reissued by MPM possibly.
                          Information is supposed to come out of the iHobby convention in
                          Chicago later this week perhaps.
                          Jeff

                          --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, Jon Davies <jhd.qms@...>

                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 15, 2008
                            It is the Sword T-38 that is being reissued
                            http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=SW72023