Re: COUNTDOWN Gemini

  • nart2112
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 1, 2003
      Hi All,

      Anybody know of any pictures, movie screen caps, etc. of this
      spacecraft? I have seen one in an old Starlog Spaceships book.

      Thanks,

      Art
    • Mark Gray
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2003
        It is basically just a Gemini spacecraft sitting atop a LM descent
        stage, is it not?

        Mark

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2003
          It is. However, it would be nice to have accurate details and
          markings.

          This spacecraft has been on my to do list since I first saw it in the
          late '70's(!) in the afore mentioned Starlog book. It's nice to see
          someone finally got around to actually building one.

          Art

          --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Gray" <mwgray@b...>

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2003
            Actually, I think the lunar shelter would make an interesting build.
            With rotating beacon.

            I may have a tape of that movie around, and if I do I'll try and pull
            some caps.

            Mark

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1, 2003
              On a similar note, wasn't there an idea floated to run a Gemini
              around the moon? Were there differences from a standard Gemini?

              Art

              --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, "Bob " <mcclir@e...> wrote:
              > I thought you all might find this pretty neat. This is a model of
              the
              > Gemini that was in the movie COUNTDOWN. A pretty cool website
              > too...Bob
              >
              > http://www.culttvman.com/gino_dykstra_s_gemini_kits.html
            • navejic
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 1, 2003
                I would like to see their version of the "Moon Voskhod" that wa sin
                that movie as well.. from the screen caps i ahve it doesn't look like
                a difficult job to convert a revell Vostok craft into it.. just a lot
                of cutting / puttying.. N.

                --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, "nart2112" <nart@v...> wrote:
                > On a similar note, wasn't there an idea floated to run a Gemini
                > around the moon? Were there differences from a standard Gemini?
                >
                > Art
                >

                > --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, "Bob " <mcclir@e...> wrote:
                > > I thought you all might find this pretty neat. This is a model of
                > the
                > > Gemini that was in the movie COUNTDOWN. A pretty cool website
                > > too...Bob
                > >
                > > http://www.culttvman.com/gino_dykstra_s_gemini_kits.html
              • Bruce P.
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 2, 2003
                  The vehicle in the movie "Countdown" WAS based on a concept to beat those nasty commies
                  quick and dirty, to ol' Luna. See this page at Mark Wade's great site:

                  http://www.astronautix.com/articles/bygemoon.htm

                  BP

                • roger70129@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 3, 2003
                    The original plan to send a man one-way to the Moon was novelized in
                    "Countdown," which had a Mercury spacecraft converted into a lunar lander. This more
                    closely fit what the actual plan called for. The details (and all sources) are
                    here, in the ZIP file containing the Word 2000 document, "No Go."

                    http://hometown.aol.com/roger70129/nogo.html

                    The Mercury from the book was changed to a Gemini spacecraft in the movie.
                  • gormanao
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 4, 2003
                      --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, "nart2112" <nart@v...> wrote:
                      > On a similar note, wasn't there an idea floated to run a Gemini
                      > around the moon? Were there differences from a standard Gemini?
                      >
                      > Art

                      There is a great article on a number of different "launar Gemini"
                      proposals in "Aerospace Projects Review" from a few months back. Lots
                      of illustrations if you want to build a model. Back issues are
                      still available at"
                      www.up-ship.com
                      It's an excellent magazine.
                      Andrew