More Airfix shuttle pics uploaded.

  • JMChladek@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2003
      Hi guys. I just uploaded some more pics to the folded entitled "Airfix
      shuttle modifications" and it details my work on the Airfix shuttle stack.
      Detailed in the folder are pictures of modifications I've been doing to the
      Airfix kit's cockpit windows, as well as accurization work to the ET and
      SRBs. The orange coloring on the tank won't stay that way for long as I'm
      going to give it a repaint to represent the coloring from STS-107 more
      closely.

      If all goes well, I should be ready to start painting the orbiter this
      weekend and the rest of the stack should follow soon after.

      Jay Chladek
    • shuttlemasterbkg
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2003
        --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, JMChladek@a... wrote:
        > Hi guys. I just uploaded some more pics to the folded entitled "Airfix
        > shuttle modifications" and it details my work on the Airfix shuttle
        stack.
        > Detailed in the folder are pictures of modifications I've been doing
        to the
        > Airfix kit's cockpit windows, as well as accurization work to the ET
        and
        > SRBs. The orange coloring on the tank won't stay that way for long
        as I'm
        > going to give it a repaint to represent the coloring from STS-107 more
        > closely.
        >
        > If all goes well, I should be ready to start painting the orbiter this
        > weekend and the rest of the stack should follow soon after.
        >
        > Jay Chladek

        Hi Jay. In checking our your postings I saw your SRBs included
        insulation rings. I'm starting work on my 1/144 Revell stack and just
        so happens I plan to make the same modification. Did you use some sort
        of putty on the rings???

        BTW, I'm using SRBs from an old Entex kit. The SRB segment rings seem
        better. Only drawback is that the Entex SRBs don't have accurate
        support attachments.

        Brian
      • JMChladek@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2003
          In a message dated 4/1/03 11:34:54 PM Central Standard Time,
          circom16temp@... writes:

          << Hi Jay. In checking our your postings I saw your SRBs included
          insulation rings. I'm starting work on my 1/144 Revell stack and just
          so happens I plan to make the same modification. Did you use some sort
          of putty on the rings???

          BTW, I'm using SRBs from an old Entex kit. The SRB segment rings seem
          better. Only drawback is that the Entex SRBs don't have accurate
          support attachments.

          Brian >>

          Hi Brian, I made those insulation rings out of Milliput two part epoxy putty.
          Any two part epoxy should work well though (I've been using Magic Sculpt
          lately and it seems to work better). You might want to mask aroud the area
          you don't want putty on first with tape, then roll some play doh snakes and
          apply. Remove excess as needed with a knife, then smooth the excess with some
          water and viola, insulation rings. I would like to take credit for this, but
          I got the idea from Dave Hanners' shuttle article featured in Mike
          Mackowski's SIM 3 book (great book to have if you don't have it already).

          The Thermal Curtains I added to the base of the SRBs around the engine
          nozzles were resin casted from the Revell parts. Dave used Milliput for his
          thermal curtains, but I didn't have much luck with that (maybe a precut guide
          would help) so I went this way since I had some resin casting supplies
          available. I suppose you could cut those off the Revell SRB parts instead of
          resin casting if you aren't planning to use your Revell SRBs for their
          intended role (same goes for the attachment struts from the Revell SRBs).

          Yup, I know all to well the problems with the Entex/Minicraft kit. Its got
          lots of good features and lots of other features that leave you to wonder
          what they got their scale data from. The SRBs and ET in that kit are very
          nice except for the lack of good attachment struts. I'm going to be using the
          set for another shuttle model myself, but its going to be for a Moonraker
          from the James Bond film (using the Revell orbiter), so accuracy woes won't
          be as much of a problem considering its going to be a model of a model.
          Anyway, keep the model table active and have fun with your project. :)

          Jay Chladek