Surveyor: Enough data do make one?

  • roger70129@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 1, 2003
      Is there enough existing data (blueprints, photos, etc.) on the various
      Surveyors to actually make one? (Particularly the one that the Apollo 12 crew
      played with?)
    • RealSpaceModels
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2003
        Roger

        Yes there is. I scratchbuilt a Surveyor 3 about 10 years ago. I have
        uploaded ten shots of the model to the Photos section in the "Surveyor 3"
        folder.
        The detail photos give some idea why making a kit of this poses lots of
        challenges.

        Glenn

        Glenn Johnson
        www.realspacemodels.com

        > Is there enough existing data (blueprints, photos, etc.) on the various
        > Surveyors to actually make one? (Particularly the one that the Apollo 12
        crew
        > played with?)

      • Patrick R. Sklenar
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 1, 2003
          On Wed, 1 Jan 2003 09:54:23 -0500, RealSpaceModels wrote:

          > The detail photos give some idea why making a kit of this poses lots of
          > challenges.

          That ... is ... simply ... BEAUTIFUL! <thud> (sound of jaw
          hitting desktop)

          Glenn, please promise to let me know if you ever do release
          that as a kit ... difficult or not, it's beautiful and I'd love to have
          it in my collection! *Please*!!!! :)

          --
          pat----

          pat@... ---===--- http://www.sklenar.info
        • mkrobel1@cs.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 1, 2003
            In a message dated 1/1/2003 10:02:52 AM Eastern Standard Time,
            realspace@... writes:

            << Yes there is. I scratchbuilt a Surveyor 3 about 10 years ago. I have
            uploaded ten shots of the model to the Photos section in the "Surveyor 3"
            folder. The detail photos give some idea why making a kit of this poses
            lots of
            challenges. >>

            Very fine work Glenn. Very FINE! Excellent even.

            Mike Robel
          • Keith McNeill
            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 1, 2003
              Glenn

              Excellent model!!! I'm sure if you were to produce a kit of this, there
              would be lots of takers. What did you use for the girder work - plastic
              rod or brass? And how did you do the intricate pattern on the boxes?

              Keith

              RealSpaceModels wrote:

              > Roger
              >
              > Yes there is. I scratchbuilt a Surveyor 3 about 10 years ago. I have
              > uploaded ten shots of the model to the Photos section in the "Surveyor
              > 3"
              > folder.
              > The detail photos give some idea why making a kit of this poses lots
              > of
              > challenges.
              >
              > Glenn
              >
              > Glenn Johnson
              > www.realspacemodels.com

            • RealSpaceModels
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 1, 2003
                Keith -

                Thanks.
                The kit is all Evergreen Styrene tubing.
                The patterns on the electronics boxes is strip styrene attached piece by
                piece.

                Glenn

                Glenn Johnson
                www.realspacemodels.com

                > Excellent model!!! I'm sure if you were to produce a kit of this, there
                > would be lots of takers. What did you use for the girder work - plastic
                > rod or brass? And how did you do the intricate pattern on the boxes?
                >
                > Keith
                >
                > RealSpaceModels wrote:
                >
                > > Roger
                > >
                > > Yes there is. I scratchbuilt a Surveyor 3 about 10 years ago. I have
                > > uploaded ten shots of the model to the Photos section in the "Surveyor
                > > 3"
                > > folder.
                > > The detail photos give some idea why making a kit of this poses lots
                > > of
                > > challenges.
                > >
                > > Glenn
                > >
                > > Glenn Johnson
                > > www.realspacemodels.com

              • Manuel Escat
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 1, 2003
                  Glenn,

                  Fantastic your work of the Surveyor 3, it is a scale model that
                  we would like to have all, they are two the scales that would be very
                  useful,
                  1/24 and 1/48.
                  It would be very interesting to take out kind of a lunar pack:
                  Lunar Orbiter, Ranger and Surveyor.

                  Happy new year to all.

                  Manuel.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 1, 2003
                    Manuel -

                    Yes I would like to do a "Lunar Exploration Series" set.
                    I don't plan to do any unmanned vehicles in 1/48.

                    Glenn

                    Glenn Johnson
                    www.realspacemodels.com

                  • peterojoe <petero@metrocast.net>
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 1, 2003
                      Excellent model!

                      How about 1/6 scale? My Dragon "Al Bean" needs a Surveyor to play
                      with :-)

                      Peter

                      --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, "RealSpaceModels"

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 1, 2003
                        I happen to know that Al Bean has both a 1/6 scale LM and Surveyor built for
                        him by some people I know. So it's not unheard of, but Al Bean paid
                        handsomely for those models. The LM took four years to construct.

                        Glenn

                        Glenn Johnson
                        www.realspacemodels.com

                      • Kevin K <kevtk@earthlink.net>
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 1, 2003
                          Hello and Happy New Year to All,

                          Jumping out of lurker mode to say if a kit is developed I would like
                          to have one as well.

                          Kev

                          --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, "Manuel Escat" <manuel@e...>

                        • robspace54 <rob_schorry@cinmach.com>
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 22, 2003
                            I finally got around to seeing what new goodies were in the Photos
                            section and found this awesome Surveyor 3 model. I wondered who had
                            built it, after first thinking of Glenn J. I searched through the
                            messages until I found that Glenn Johnson had indeed posted them.

                            The hand of the master was obvious!