[space-modelers] Re: Roads to Space?

  • cferrer@ibm.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 1999
      At 21:07 31/03/99 -0500, you wrote:
      >Does anyone have the book "Roads to Space" subtitled as an oral history of
      >the Soviet Space program? If so, is it any good?
      >
      >Mike

      Mike:
      I have a book entitled: "Race Into Space" and subtitled: "The Soviet Space
      Programme" (by Brian Harvey and foreword by Patrick Moore)

      ISBN 0-7458-0437-3 and
      ISBN 0-470-21099-0
      Library of Congress Card nÂș 88-11956
      Published in 1988

      I don't know if it is what you are looking for!
      To my opinion, it is a very valuable data book with some B/W photos.

      Regards!
      Carlos

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/space-modelers
    • Sandy55961@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1, 1999
        Hi,
        I had read a review about the book a couple of years ago that stated that
        the book was a collection of personal accounts of the history of the former
        Soviet space program. It further stated that some of the dates didn't exactly
        line up with actual events, but the reviewer said that it made for
        interesting reading if you kept these facts in mind. I have the book and
        have only had the opportunity to glance through it. I 'll read itwhen its
        turn comes up on my list.
        Steve

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/space-modelers
      • Michael Morton
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 2, 1999
          Sandy55961@... wrote:

          > Hi,
          > I had read a review about the book a couple of years ago that stated that
          > the book was a collection of personal accounts of the history of the former
          > Soviet space program. It further stated that some of the dates didn't exactly
          > line up with actual events, but the reviewer said that it made for
          > interesting reading if you kept these facts in mind. I have the book and
          > have only had the opportunity to glance through it. I 'll read itwhen its
          > turn comes up on my list.

          Think I read a review in the Smithsonian Air & Space mag.
          Same one?

          Where is the book available from? It doesn't seem to be
          on Amazon.

          --
          Michael Morton
          >==========================================================<
          School of Information Systems, University of East Anglia

          Phone Int. 3220 Ext. (01603) 593220
          >==========================================================<
          Will Construct Finite Element Models of
          Satellite Structures for Food.

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 2, 1999
            Hi Micheal,
            I got the book through an add in Aviation Week & Space Technology magazine,
            published by McGraw Hill. I guess if you went to their web site you could
            probably inquire
            about the availability of the book.
            www.avaitionweek.com
            Hope this helps.
            Steve

            eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/space-modelers
          • Mike J. Idacavage
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 3, 1999
              Michael:
              I read in the latest issue of Aviation Week & Space Technology that they
              are offering this book for sale through the magazine. The price is at a
              discount ( $29 ?) compared to the $45 list price.

              Mike

            • QM1MIKEE@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 3, 1999
                "Where All Roads into Space Begin : An Account of the Baikonur Cosmodrome"

                The above name is the actual name of the book, it is currently out of print,
                but Amazon.com will attempt to search for a used copy. They say that could
                take one to tow weeks.

                Later,

                Mike Earnest
                "Ex Astris, Scientia"