Re: [space-modelers] Revell Saturn V kit

  • John Duncan
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 1, 1998
      The camera targets were on unmanned vehicles only.

      Saturn IB markings would be nice.

      John

      > The Estes decal sheet for 1/100 scale Saturn Vs is pretty extensive in
      sway
      > and camera targets. That would be a good starting point for what would
      be
      > needed for a new sheet. Did the first flights have more camera targets
      then
      > what flew on the manned missions? Also, anyone thought about doing 1/96
      > Saturn 1B markings? Yes, I know that no kit exists (yet). But who knows
      what
      > the future has in store (hint hint). ;)
      >

      > Jay Chladek

      ----
      Read this list on the Web at http://www.makelist.com/list/space-modelers/
    • John Duncan
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 1, 1998
        The insulation covers the entire engine, nozzle and extension. There are
        reliefs moulded in for the discharge lines, etc. Maybe tonite I can put up
        some photos.

        John

        ----
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 1, 1998
          That "S" is accurate for 501/502.

          John

          ----------

          ----
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 1, 1998
            Rick,

            It definitely goes to the bottom of the extension.

            John

            ----
            Read this list on the Web at http://www.makelist.com/list/space-modelers/
          • Okuda23392@aol.com
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 1, 1998

              >That "S" is accurate for 501/502.
              >

              >John

              Thanks for the info. Now, what about the "U" and the "A"? Are they accurate
              for 501/502? And were they the same for 500/503+?

              -Mike

              ----
              Read this list on the Web at http://www.makelist.com/list/space-modelers/
            • Rick Sternbach
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 1, 1998
                Well, I'll respectfully disagree, and I'll pull out those videos today
                and make 100% certain. The footage I'm talking about has the bell go by,
                very large in the frame, and the combusting gases roaring down. The bell
                sure looks like bare steel; and in places there's a few scrapes and
                dings in the metal. If I can get my laser player or VCR hooked up to the
                video inputs on my Mac, I'll try to yank a few framegrabs.

                The mystery continues.

                Rick
                --------

                ----
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 1, 1998
                  Okay, I take it back! I've been studying the videos and have come to the
                  conclusion that there *is* a wrapping of very form-fitting stuff, it's a
                  patchwork, and there's darker grommets or rivets or some kind of
                  fasteners everywhere, along every seam. In places the stuff is amazingly
                  shiny, like it was burnished over the underlying structure. This is
                  especially true along the turbine exhaust spiral hump and the bottom rim
                  of the bell. It *looks* like there's a ton of evenly-spaced rivets or
                  screws along the bottom edge, both outboard and ventral; I assume this
                  really binds the wrap to the bell and make it appear to be a big solid
                  piece of metal. I'm going to take a ride out to the Rocketdyne plant in
                  Canoga Park this weekend and study the F-1 (sans insulation) sitting in
                  the front yard, and dig out my F-1 photos from KSC. In the launch videos
                  I can make out the various tubes running down the side of the bell, ad
                  these are covered with strips of material, all buttoned down with
                  fasteners. Can't see anywhere near the mounts yet; more viewing later
                  today.

                  How to model this stuff? Sounds like bits of sticky foil or paper
                  painted with steel, and then dotted with a bazillion fasteners. I
                  haven't woked with Bare-metal foil too much, but this stuff might be a
                  start for 1/96.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Aug 1, 1998
                    And a quick follow-up:

                    The box set of Apollo videos (the one missing Apollo 12) shows a number
                    of similar bits of liftoff footage, some focussing on the engines, and
                    you can *just* make out the softened features of the engine bell. Can't
                    tell if any of the gimbal hardware/struts are covered. The Apollo 14 and
                    17 tapes show the best views of the engines from below, the latter
                    showing them fairly brightly lit. The bells have a very definite
                    thickness at the bottom edge, with the aforementioned fastener heads
                    going all around. I've got to assume this isn't a billowy kind of
                    insulation blanket, but a stiffer, bolted-on kind. BTW, the 17 tape
                    shows a great couple of shots of the BPC, one from the moving white
                    room. Interestingly, a lot of the closeup stuff in FOR ALL MANKIND is
                    repeated almost shot for shot in the PBS Apollo 13 tape TO THE EDGE AND
                    BACK, but it's clearer on the tape than it is on the laserdisc! There's
                    a ton of "new" Saturn V details I hadn't noticed before, and I'll make a
                    note of those to see what might be added to the blueprints. David-- As
                    to your question about the colors for some of the IU antennae, I keep
                    seeing a warm dark coppery color, or maybe less coppery than a "metallic
                    brown."

                    Rick
                    --------

                    ----