Re: Mike Mars: The "Real" First Man in Space!

  • roger70129@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 1, 2002
      Edd,

      No offense taken! I was happy to trade Redstone information. I only mention
      my sources so everyone knows where I'm coming from. Playing with modeling
      ideas like this is fun for me. Mike Mars is just fiction, but it had a lot of
      sway with kids (all grown now), and I like to play "what if?" when I can.

      Roger
    • spacecraftengr
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 1, 2002
        Edd- you better thaw that toe out: LOX & Ethyl Alcohol. Hic. BP

        --- In space-modelers@y..., Edd Pflum <eddp@n...> wrote:
        > Roger,
        >
        > The Mercury/Redstone used the same long-tank, core booster as the Juno 1 /
        > Jupiter C vehicles. I suspect it used the same high energy fuel (whose name
        > is on the tip of my toe,

        <snip>

        > -Edd

        > Sign Up for NetZero Platinum Today
        > Only $9.95 per month!
        > http://my.netzero.net/s/signup?r=platinum&refcd=PT97
      • spacecraftengr
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 1, 2002
          Hey! Maybe you can use that new Crest to strip chrome off of plastic
          (and plaque off your teeth, bones and coffin). Keep on posting
          any Redstone/Jupiter C and Juno pix. Neat stuff folks. Bruce P

          --- In space-modelers@y..., Edd Pflum <eddp@n...> wrote:
          > Roger,
          >
          > I in no way wished to disparage or dispute your excellent Mike Mars
          > modeling post, I merely wished to bring additional information to light. I
          > agree with your conjecture on the lack of service markings. Neither the
          > Vanguard nor Juno carried such markings, and they pre-dated the Mike Mars
          > mission by a couple of years. As clarification, I will post the Jupiter-C
          > (not Juno 1) pictures to the Files.
          >
          > Ed,
          >
          > That's it - Hydyne. I knew it was some stupid name. Sounds like the secret
          > ingredient in a toothpaste brand ("Try NEW Crest with HYDYNE!")
          >
          > -Edd

          > Sign Up for NetZero Platinum Today
          > Only $9.95 per month!
          > http://my.netzero.net/s/signup?r=platinum&refcd=PT97
        • Edd Pflum
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 3, 2002
            BP,

            I would never say you're wrong. I'm much too nice a guy to do something
            like that.. Let alone say you're wrong, Wrong, WRONG, WRONG! However, you
            are misinformed on this point. Jupiter-C, Juno 1 and the Mercury-Redstone
            boosters used LOX and Hydyne (as confirmed by others) "Hydyne, which is
            also known as MAF-4, is a 60 per cent, by weight, mixture of UDMH
            (Unsymmetrical DiMethyl Hydrazine)and 40 weight percent DiEthylTriAnine
            (DETA)." (Thanks Ramblin' Ed and Mark Wade.)
            I first saw this in the SpaceDaily article on "Project Orbiter", Von
            Braun's proposal for launching a satellite using a modified Redstone. One
            interesting tidbit from the article, the first Jupiter-C flight was
            ballasted to insure it DIDN'T achieve orbit and steal Vanguard's thunder
            (Vanguard proved quite capable of providing its own thunder :))
            -Edd

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 4, 2002
              Better late than never Edd. The correct information ("Hydyne") was posted, on this group,
              the day after my posting to you. Of course the propellants I stated are for the primary Redstone, not
              derivative launcher propellants. But Edd- are you saying I was wrong? I'm a bit unclear here- Voodoo? Can
              you help Edd out?
              I wouldn't go sticking my toes into any Hydrazine mix either.

              Ka-boom! (Dinner Edd- not hydrazine),

              BP

              --- In space-modelers@y..., Edd Pflum <eddp@n...> wrote:
              > BP,
              >
              > I would never say you're wrong. I'm much too nice a guy to do something
              > like that.. Let alone say you're wrong, Wrong, WRONG, WRONG! However, you
              > are misinformed on this point. Jupiter-C, Juno 1 and the Mercury-Redstone
              > boosters used LOX and Hydyne (as confirmed by others) "Hydyne, which is
              > also known as MAF-4, is a 60 per cent, by weight, mixture of UDMH
              > (Unsymmetrical DiMethyl Hydrazine)and 40 weight percent DiEthylTriAnine
              > (DETA)." (Thanks Ramblin' Ed and Mark Wade.)
              > I first saw this in the SpaceDaily article on "Project Orbiter", Von
              > Braun's proposal for launching a satellite using a modified Redstone. One
              > interesting tidbit from the article, the first Jupiter-C flight was
              > ballasted to insure it DIDN'T achieve orbit and steal Vanguard's thunder
              > (Vanguard proved quite capable of providing its own thunder :))
              > -Edd

            • gary gilmore
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 7, 2002
                Forgive the anal-retentive chemist coming through -

                DiEthylTriAMINE [not anine!] = [C2H5]2NHNHNH2 - a "cousin" of hydrazine

                Gary