Re: [space-modelers] Pioneer 10 Lives

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2001
      Was that a shower of comets from the Ort cloud?
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1 5:12 AM
        From the Project Home page:

        ( http://spaceprojects.arc.nasa.gov/Space_Projects/pioneer/PNStat.html
        )

        Good News!! Pioneer 10 lives on. At GMT 17:27:30, Saturday, 4/28/01,
        the signal from Pioneer 10 was received at station 63 in Madrid, the
        first time since August 19 of last year. As Samuel Clemens (AKA Mark
        Twain) once reported to the newspaper - "The report of my death was an
        exaggeration" could be applied to the premature reports of the demise
        of Pioneer 10. Once again - muchas gracias - to the DSS 63 crew for
        their continuing excellent support. So it appears that Pioneer 10 has
        life, albeit in another mode - only in a two-way coherent mode. Our
        Chief Flight Controller Ric Campo says, "In order [for Pioneer 10] to
        talk to us, we need to talk to it." This means from now on, we need
        two-way round-trip light time (RTLT) passes to allow the Deep Space
        Network (DSN) to send up a strong stable signal to lock up with a
        coherent downlink signal. We will have to schedule tracks on the busy
        DSN schedule to allow uplink and downlink support (competition for
        time includes Galileo, Cassini and Ulysses). This will greatly limit
        the monthly tracking available for Pioneer 10.

        BP