Re: [space-modelers] Gemini 1/48 (seeing red again!)

  • Rick DeNatale
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1 6:47 AM
      >Having finished that god-awful 1/144 Airfix space shuttle kit, I've
      >moved on to the Gus Grissom 1/48 Gemini.
      >In photos I notice what looks like red tape around the open doors
      >of the capsule during crew 'loading.' Can anyone comment on
      >what that might be, and if it's appropriate to paint this around the
      >edge of a CLOSED capsule door??
      >This group is fantastic. Thanks to everyone for the good ideas.
      >-Scott

      There were various red and white stripes visible around the door and
      elsewhere. The best references for this are the photos from the Gemini 6
      rendevous with Gemini 7. Here are some places to point your browser at on
      the NASA history web site:

      Pictures of Gemini 7 from Gemini 6
      http://images.jsc.nasa.gov/images/pao/GT6/10074246.jpg
      http://images.jsc.nasa.gov/images/pao/GT6/10074247.jpg
      http://images.jsc.nasa.gov/images/pao/GT6/10074249.jpg
      http://images.jsc.nasa.gov/images/pao/GT6/10074250.jpg
      http://images.jsc.nasa.gov/images/pao/GT6/10074243.jpg
      http://images.jsc.nasa.gov/images/pao/GT6/10074244.jpg

      Pictures of Gemini 6 from Gemini 7
      http://images.jsc.nasa.gov/images/pao/GT7/10074153.jpg
      http://images.jsc.nasa.gov/images/pao/GT7/10074154.jpg

      Note that the black stripes on the white retro and instrument have been
      subject to misconceptions. In reality they were black tape strips applied
      for thermal control. They would be best represented on a model with decal
      stripes.

      Rick DeNatale
      Still Looking for a cool signature
      denatale@...
      http://www.mindspring.com/~denatale/
    • B Pivar
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1 6:49 AM
        And those black stripes are NOT straight on the real s/c. BP

        --- In space-modelers@egroups.com, Rick DeNatale <denatale@m...>

      • kirklae@nationwide.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1 6:55 AM
          What other Gemini missions were these stripes used besides 6 and 7?

          Gene Kirkland