Re: [space-modelers] What the heck is THIS? (on EBay)

  • Gordon Davie
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 1, 2000
      From: Scott Lane <scotty@...>

      > The Explorer comes with this cute little display stand that has a
      > crank to pivot the model around :)

      The reason for the crank is that when the satellite rotates, a number of
      pins and other protrusions on the underside of the stand (inside the base
      unit) pluck a thin plastic tongue as they move past. This creates a clicking
      sound which is supposed to simulate the radio signal sent back by the
      satellite!

      Gordon Davie
      Edinburgh, Scotland

      "Slipped the surly bonds of Earth...to touch the face of God"
    • Scott Lane
      Message 2 of 29 , Oct 1, 2000
        >The reason for the crank is that when the satellite rotates, a number of
        >pins and other protrusions on the underside of the stand (inside the base
        >unit) pluck a thin plastic tongue as they move past. This creates a clicking
        >sound which is supposed to simulate the radio signal sent back by the
        >satellite!

        right.....

        Thanks,
        Scott

      • B Pivar
        Message 3 of 29 , Oct 2, 2000
          The Umbilical tower is also nowhere to be seen. Has ANYone on this
          group successfully completed the kit with a tower and gantry added?
          If
          so- pulease post some shots! Danka, BP

          --- In space-modelers@egroups.com, "Glenn Johnson" <realspace@n...>
          wrote:
          > Ben -
          >
          > The Revel Atlas kit is 1/110 scale, not 1/144. The pad is an
          approximation
          > of the pad and does include the transporter/erector for the Atlas,
          but not
          > the gantry. The Atlas itself is not exactly the version that
          launched
          > Mercury. Generally it's not a bad kit, just not more than about 70%
          > accurate. But hey, for Revell that's pretty good.
          >
          > Glenn
          >
          > Glenn Johnson
          > www.realspacemodels.com
          > >><<

          How
          > realistic is the kit? I have seen plenty of photos of the pad, and
          none look
          > the same as the Revell kit. The Revell kit, for example, has a
          single
          > 'tower', which retractes down; photos show a larger sized red tower
          of the
          > roll back type. Another incorrect feature: the fairings on the
          Revell kit
          > are the same height, where one should be shorter. -Ben

        • B Pivar
          Message 4 of 29 , Oct 2, 2000
            The HM boxes did nothing for me. But- I wish I still had the Atlas
            art
            from the ICBM version- I had it when more parts stuck to me then each
            other (I was about 5y.o.). I have all the mention below kits, except
            the Regulus from the reissue period awaiting my attention. Any input
            out there on the Large Lindberg Snark? Mine is awaiting completion
            and
            from my documentation, it looks good. (I love fierce-looking rockets).
            BP

            --- In space-modelers@egroups.com, Mark Wright <mew@v...> wrote:
            > Actually, I think they put out the HM editions to contribute to
            Bruce's box art collection. ;-)
            > Following up on what Geoff noted, other HM missile & X plane kits
            included the X-3 (1/65), X-5 (1/40), V-2 (1/54), Nike Hercules
            (1/40),
            Regulus 2 (1/68), Bomarc (1/47), Corporal (1/40), and Snark (1/96).
            Gotta love Revell's consistency of scale. Fortunately, some HM kits
            have been reissued yet again, making a few attainable at reasonable
            prices.
            > Mark
            >
            > Geoff Robertson wrote:
            >
            > > The History Makers kits showed up between 82 and 84. There were
            two issues, Red Box and Blue Box. They were basically a bunch of old
            Revell kits that hadn't been released for many years, in the case of
            some a couple decades. Some of the space kits were the Mercury Atlas,
            1/24 Gemini, 1/48 Apollo, 1/96 Saturn V, X-15, 1/48 LM and the
            Jupiter
            C with gantry. They had special box art and a special price, vastly
            inflated but what could you do.

          • DeHBeaver0@aol.com
            Message 5 of 29 , Oct 2, 2000
              Thats what I meant...no umbilical tower= no large red tower seen in all photos of manned Atlas launches! -Ben
            • Keith McNeill
              Message 6 of 29 , Oct 3, 2000
                Hi Bruce

                Quite a number of years ago I had a shot at scratchbuilding the tower. I no
                longer have the model but as is my way , I took a few photos of it. I'm
                pretty sure I got it a bit out of scale, but if you like I can scan a couple
                of shots and send them to the vault.

                Keith

                Message 7 of 29 , Oct 3, 2000
                  Keith!
                  Please do- I (and others?) would love to see them. That's 2 now....
                  BP

                  Message 8 of 29 , Oct 3, 2000
                    OK Bruce I've uploaded two photos to the Vault (sorry, Files now).

                    Now that I see the tower I think it is probably more out of scale than I
                    remember.

                    Keith