Re: [space-modelers] Great view of LADEE Launch

  • tankmodelerpaul
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 6, 2013
      That got uphill in a hurry, didn't it?

      Paul Roberts

      From: "Ez2cDave@..." <Ez2cDave@...>
      To: space-modelers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Saturday, September 7, 2013 12:11:42 AM
      Subject: Re: [space-modelers] Great view of LADEE Launch

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1MY03vmkps Dave Fitch

      -----Original Message-----From: KT Kilkenny <kevtk@...>To: space-modelers <space-modelers@yahoogroups.com>Sent: Sat, Sep 7, 2013 12:03 amSubject: [space-modelers] Great view of LADEE Launch

      Hi all,Don't know how many along the east coast got a chance to see the launch tonight from the roof of my work in Greenpoint NY. But I was pleasantly surprised. I had NASA TV playing on my phone for the countdown and as soon as the commentator said liftoff, me and a few co-workers very quickly saw it clear the bldgs from our POV. I couldn't get my phone switched from the net to my camera fast enough.Here's a crappy video I took -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0JkoXvWplkThe Minotaur was very bright, but the camera only picked the rocket as a dim dot of light.Turn the volume down as I don't know if risque language was picked up from the background. ;-)Kev K.PS - to make it model related when does anyone think a card model of LADEE will be released? ;-)
    • Michael W. Scheel
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 7, 2013
        I was watching NASA TV online and the feed froze just before launch so I missed it.

        Don't know how many along the east coast got a chance to see the launch tonight from the roof of my work in Greenpoint NY. But I was pleasantly surprised. I had NASA TV playing on my phone for the countdown and as soon as the commentator said liftoff, me and a few co-workers very quickly saw it clear the bldgs from our POV. I couldn't get my phone switched from the net to my camera fast enough.
        Here's a crappy video I took -
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0JkoXvWplk
        The Minotaur was very bright, but the camera only picked the rocket as a dim dot of light.
        Turn the volume down as I don't know if risque language was picked up from the background. ;-)

        Kev K.

        PS - to make it model related when does anyone think a card model of LADEE will be released? ;-)

        Michael W. Scheel  K0QCS  // KPC0QCS // ARRL // DARC // MARC
        Davenport IOWA     RCMA IA-011 // IPMS-US #25517 QCSMS // DAGOBAH

      • blappy99
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 7, 2013

           I am always amazed at how fast these smaller all solid rockets leap off the pad and clear the tower.  So cool!

          David Guertin

          www.blapmodels.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 7, 2013

            According to online sources, the weight of a Peacekeeper ICBM with warheads was 195,000 lbs, and its first stage thrust was 500,000 lbs.

            All solid-fueled ICBMs have a lot of excess thrust, for a couple of reasons.  The Peacekeeper was cold launched out of the silo with compressed gas, and ignited roughly a rocket's height above the ground.  It needed instantaneous forward motion to prevent falling back.  The same applies to all sub launched ballistic missiles.

            That launch profile may explain the tall launch stand that Minotaur uses.  I'm just guessing, but having a tall stand may approximate its ICBM ignition environment, stationary at 50 or 60 feet off the ground.  That might prevent acoustic or other damage that a launch stand at ground level might cause.

            The other reason for the ICBM's excess thrust was to get it out of the launch area in a hurry.  Launching the missiles successfully didn't matter if they were still too close to the ground when the enemy's incoming nukes struck.  They needed altitude and speed to avoid the overpressure (and other effects) from a thermonuclear blast.

            Peter

            --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, <blap@...> wrote:

[...]

          • jmchladek
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 7, 2013
              Well, express delivery of a MIRV nuke payload to the other side of the world in 90 minutes or less tends to have its advantages when used for less explosive payloads going "upstairs". Nice to see the Minuteman and Peacekeeper ICBMs getting the same love today as space launchers that the Titan did so many years ago.

              JMC