Re: [space-modelers] Re: 1/48 scale Rogallo Parasail Wing Model Available

  • Mat Irvine
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 1, 2013
      In message <8CFFC10D8BA5758-1E48-33962@...>,
      Ez2cDave@... writes
      >Mat,
      >
      >I already uploaded pics to the Photo section, Several days ago .

      Missed that - however saves me doing it... :-)

      >"El Kabong" is on-topic, as it was a discussion of the origin of the name used
      >for the rogallo test capsule.
      >
      >Dave

      I agree, definitely 'on', but I was just observing that although OT when
      used here means 'Off Topic', the 'O' could equally stand for 'On'... :-)

      mat

      Mat Irvine

      mat@...
      www.smallspace.demon.co.uk

      ...let's be careful out there...
    • gary gilmore
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 1, 2013
        <If we ever go to landings on dry land with a capsule type ship, I think the russians have the best ideas on how to do it.>

        IIRC, the Russian mode is the plan for SpaceX's Dragon dry landings. They will use the RCS thrusters to slow the final impact to survivable.

        Gary

        To: space-modelers@yahoogroups.com
        From: randy_stuart@...
        Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 17:32:09 +0000
        Subject: [space-modelers] Re: 1/48 scale Rogallo Parasail Wing Model Available

        Looking at the pictures of the test model and concepts it seems impossible to me to be able to pack something like this in a manner that can survive take-off, re-entry and then deploy in the correct manner. The sail is twice as big as the spacecraft. One thing goes wrong ang you have a big smear on the desert floor.

        --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, "evapodman" <randy_stuart@...> wrote:

        > I noticed that the test vehicle was named "El Kabong". One thousand points to the person who knows the origin of that name.
        >
        > --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, "artkrull" <nartco@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Thanks for the heads-up.
        > >
        > > I bought the concept model awhile back and it's a nice looking kit.
        > >
        > > How big are the wheels on the trainer? Where they sourced from a surplus aircraft?
        > >
        > > Art
        > >
        > > --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, "space_modeler" <amrobillard@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Recently Sven posted a quick look of a new model of the Rogallo Parasail that can be used with any 1/48 scale Gemini kit. There has been talk of modeling it lately on the group but I hadn't seen this kit mentioned specifically.
        > > >
        > > > I contacted the guy doing the kit and after a few days I have in my possesion two of his kits. One for the Gemini concept and the other a painstakenly accurate model of the parasail for the trainer on display at NASM ( in the Udvar-Hazy Center ).
        > > >
        > > > Wow, you've not seen kits like this these days. The packaging, the parts, instructions are all top notch. Admitedly not everyone wants to model the runway landing of a Gemini capsule but for those who do, please look into this kit. I think you'll like it.
        > > >
        > > > Once again this kit is the parasail, cables, and stand. You will have to get a Gemini capsule elsewhere.
        > > >
        > > > Contact the supplier Tom Castronuova (tcastronuo@). He'll send photos and all the information you'll need.
        > > >
        > > > Mark R.

      • artkrull
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 1, 2013
          So, dumb question: The TTV is a different vehicle than the "El Kabong" seen in Kalamazoo, right?

          On a similar note, has anyone found reference on the type of wheels used? I assume they were pinched from another aircraft.

          Art

          --- In space-modelers@yahoogroups.com, Thomas Castronuova <tcastronuo@...> wrote:

          > Hi mike
          > The front section for the TTV was actually larger than the final
          > version of the Gemini capsule which  was  to accommodate for the storage of the parasail..
          > Interesting that NASA  did research when canceling the paraglider
          > program rationalizing that it was cheaper to recover the capsule from the ocean
          > and paying for all those ships and navy personal looking to recover the vehicle.
          > In any event, the paraglider design is most popular now in
          > recreational use.
          > Also, In the end, the shuttle was used to do ground based landings.
          > I found an interesting utube video on this.
          > In attempting to making the ttv, I went to the Udvar-Hazy Center
          > museum to take measurement and many photos. My protype was off and I am
          > presently working to correct my mistakes.
          > tom

        • randy stuart
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 1, 2013
            Looking at the attachment points on the craft, a sail is much different from a parachute that is connected and realased from a single point in the nose.
            At the very least the engineers would somehow have to have the parasail lines hidden in cavities just below the capsule's skin throughout the the flight until the lines and the sail were released at some point prior to landing. More stuff to go wrong if for some reason one or more line didn't release fully or got tangled with the others.

            To: space-modelers@yahoogroups.com
            From: michael.mackowski@...
            Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 22:06:09 -0700

            Re ("evapodman" 's comment) the practicality of stuffing this all into a reentry vehicle, the same can be said for a parachute.

            Mike M