South West Surrey Walkers holidays 2014

  • Roger Adams
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2013
      The SWSW committee is currently discussing the holiday programme for 2014. We are hoping to arrange at least two trips, one in the UK and one abroard. Various options have been proposed and before we move forward on any of them, it would be good to have an indication of the levels of interest. If you are interested in either of the following UK options, I would be grateful for your feedback.
      • Lake District, 5,6 or 7 nights at the end of August staying at at centre similar to HF that provide a mixture of twin and double ensuites and standard singles. The full board prices are £55.00 for a standard single room and £62.00 for an en-suite twin. In addition to this price would be the cost of one of the centre's walk leaders at £100 per group per day and the cost of transport to and from the Lakes as well as transport during our time there. Two grades of walk would be arranged, the more strenuous tackling the major peaks in the area and the more sedate including lower peaks, circular tours of various lakes and generally lower level walks. Jouney time to the Lake District is around 6 to 7 hours by car although there is a public transport option.
      • A weekend or longer in Purbeck (somewhere like Swanage) with relatively gentle coastal and inland walks. B&B prices are now around £50pppn although you may be able to find something cheaper. Alternatively, there is an HF house at Lulworth cove at a cost of around £100 pppn. Journey time to Purbeck is around 2.5 hours
      Any views you have on these options or indeed, any other suggestions, would be gratefully received. Please reply to roger@...

      Best regards,

      Roger Adams
      01372 452396

    • Roger Adams
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2013
        I have been asked for clarification concerning the Lake District holiday proposal. For singles requiring an en-suite there is normally a £10.00 surcharge for a single occupancy twin en-suite room; only limited number of rooms will be probably be available for this option. There will be other groups using the centre but generally they have their own walk leaders and so a walk leader we may have would be for our exclusive use. The comment has been made that it appears to be far cheaper than HF. The reason for this is that transport is not included (not needed at this centre as hills are close and public transport good), there is no evening "entertainment" and HF is,in my view, expensive. Should you require further information on the centre, see http://www.glaramarahouse.co.uk

        Best regards,

        Roger Adams
        01372 452396