SWSW Newsletter - sent on Jenny Page's behalf

  • Paul Graber
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2013
      page1image392

      Walk report, Sunday the 04 August 2013

      On 4th August 18 of us were blessed with perfect walking weather for our picnic walk from Tilford. The London bike race had led to a late re-arrangement of Godalming and Haslemere’s walk, which led to a test of loyalties in the car park with a few walkers who regularly walk with both groups and a hijack attempt by the G&H leaders who arrived at 9.15 for a 10 am walk! Suffice to say it remained very good humoured, and common sense prevailed ie they all opted for our splendid picnic walk.

      We left Tilford and followed quiet lanes and bridleways over Crooksbury Common, stopping for coffee on the summit of Crooksbury Hill with splendid views towards the South Downs. The area was covered in bilberries, but worryingly some of them are now carrying a disease that could be dangerous to Oak trees.

      From Crooksbury we skirted Sands village and followed shady bridleways around the Moor Park heritage trail, past Mother Ludham’s Cave, a spring once used by the monks of Waverley Abbey, and a short hop on to our picnic stop at Waverley Abbey itself supposedly used by Sir Walter Scott as the basis for his novel ‘Waverley’. We lost Helen to the delights of a friend offering a glass of bubbly and a lift, but happily gained Jenny Page, who was waiting for us at the Abbey.

      After a pleasant picnic under a 1000 year old yew tree and a wander around the ruins, it was an easy half hour back to Tilford village, and for some of us a pleasant pint in the barley Mow on the Green.

      Margo Scott

      page1image14680

      1of 4

      page2image392

      Enjoying a picnic lunch at Waverley Abbey beneath the ancient yew tree

      page2image1448

      page3image392

      Thanks to John and Margo for devising a lovely summer walk.

      Future Walks:

      The next walk is on the 18th August and in keeping with our summer theme features a picnic lunch plus afternoon tea and cake. Details as follows:-

      The Leader is: Glenys Kirkpatrick, Mobile number:07805036839 (on the day only)

      Our meeting Place is: The Railway Station, Liphook Hampshire. Please bring a picnic lunch as this walk doesn't include a pub stop at lunch time although tea and cake is

      available in the afternoon.

      Start Time: 10:00

      A 10 mile circular walk with varied countryside, through fields, Weavers Down, Chapel Common, woodland leading to Combe Pond where we will have our picnic lunch, Trippits Farm and Milland Village for tea and homemade cakes.

      A date for the diary; In addition to our normal walk programme we are planning a day on the Isle of Wight on Saturday the 7th September the Leader is Jennie Froy

      Start of walk: Isle of Wight, Lake Railway Station (Transport details & start time to follow)

      10 miles: Lake, Sandown, Culver Down, Foreland, Bembridge Harbour, Brading, Some beach walking. The lunch stop overlooking the beach at The Lifeboat View Café Bembridge. The walk finishes at 17:00 at Brading Station. There is an opportunity for fish & Chips in Ryde on the return journey to round off the day.

      page4image384

      Social Events:

      We are open to suggestions; please let us know your thoughts for consideration.
      To date a ten pin bowling evening has been suggested possibly at the end of the summer depending on interest.

      Recent holidays:

      12 members enjoyed a 7 day holiday on Exmoor in July organised by Pam Utton; we stayed in an HF country house on the Holnicote estate half a mile from Selworthy Village. The weather was delightful although much hotter than the preferred temperature for walking. However, the heated outside swimming pool in the lovely garden compensated very well.

      A choice of three walks was available each day easy, medium and hard catering for all tastes and capabilities. The areas covered were:- Selworthy and its Beacon, The East Lyn River and Valley of The Rocks, The Quantocks and Horner Hill, Dunkery Beacon and Horner Water.

      There is plenty to see and do in this picturesque area but most of us opted to visit Dunster and its Castle on our walk free day. All in all, an excellent holiday, beautiful scenery and good company.

      Kind Regards

      Jenny Page